• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 17 May 2020 - 12:53 AM

Mic, Thanks for sharing your bike and carrier . Glad your Knee is healed. WoW 1,000 miles in one year. You have been riding a a lot.

I love your large stop lights something I need to add to my carrier,

Bob M, Thanks for sharing "1Up USA Superduty"  carrier. Do they have a model that fits a 65 pound electric bike. Definitely worth looking into.

This is year 2 (June) for me. My RAD City just turned 1,500 miles on Wednesday. Been riding the "Inland Rail Trail"  From East Escondido eventually to Oceanside train Depot. Now it extends almost to "Sycamore" street in Vista, about 20 miles round trip  so most of the time I transport it to the "San Luis Rey River trail" - 19 miles round trip. No cross streets. Than ride Oceanside Marina and the Strand...Maybe into Carlsbad on the Coast...30 miles total.

If your ever coming down to San Diego, bring your bike, camp at Carlsbad beach and we will ride together.

Everyone Stay safe. Have the best non camping weekend we can have.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 23 May 2020 - 06:23 PM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#42 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 17 May 2020 - 06:08 PM

Second reply to SmIobx

Subject is Solar Charging battery pack   Click on the link.

DIY project ...still expensive. Uses 4 - 100 watt solar panels charging a Lithium battery. Gotta be a cheaper way. I suppose one could buy a separate battery for around $500 then you would have a 50-100 mile range. then spend the night in a KOA full hookups and charge both batteries on the way to your next off the grid camping spot.

RAD has a blog. This popped up this morning

Great Jim. Thanks for the read.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#43 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 05:53 PM

Mic, Thanks for sharing your bike and carrier . Glad your Knee is healed. WoW 1,000 miles in one year. You have been riding a a lot.

I love your large stop lights something I need to add to my carrier,

Bob M, Thanks for sharing "1Up USA Superduty"  carrier. Do they have a model that fits a 65 pound electric bike. Definitely worth looking into.

This is year 2 (June) for me. My RAD City just turned 1,500 miles on Wednesday. Been riding the "Inland Rail Trail" . From East Escondido eventually to Oceanside train Depot. Now it extends almost to "Sycamore" street in Vista, about 22 miles  so most of the time I transport it ti the "San Luis Rey River trail" - 19 miles round trip. No cross streets. Than ride Oceanside Marina and the Strand...Maybe into Carlsbad on the Coast...30 miles total.

If your ever coming down to San Diego, bring your bike, camp at Carlsbad beach and we will ride together.

Everyone Stay safe. Have the best non camping weekend we can have.

I got my Rad Rover March 2018 and have just clocked 13,000 miles on it.  My Odometer has actually reset twice already.  They reset when it reached 10,000 KM which is around 6,200 miles Here's my setup  

and here's a video showing my ODO reset the second time  https://youtu.be/CZohKTITxNU

#44 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:22 PM

Hi Bob I notice you have a second battery mounted on your rear rack with panniers (think they are called that ) on either side. Riding 13,000 miles in 26 months have been some serious road trips. I ride mine for exercise once or twice per week and to check out the eye candy at the beaches in San Diego. Looking forward to more of that as they relax the stay at home orders.

Jim

#45 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 10:25 PM

Since I'm retired I ride every day between 20-30 miles just for fun.  Living at the beach is all the inspiration I need. I made another video showing how I made the battery mount out of excess angle bar I had left over from my FWC solar setup 

Here's the video of my solar setup I did for under $200 and it's still working perfect after over 5 years 

I do miss camping

#46 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 07:13 PM

A couple of weeks ago while riding the river trail in Oceanside California I saw two new electric bikes.

The name is    Lectric Bike . (click on the link) Selling price $899, With a folding version.  With the smaller 20-22" wheels. The couple had them about 3 months and 500 miles and loved them. Don't know the weight, Prices are coming down.

Still loving my RAD Power Bike City Step-thru. Just turned 2,000 miles in 28 months riding for exercise.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 14 November 2020 - 05:40 PM.

Jim

#47 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 08:06 PM

UPDATE April 2021

In Mid 2020 RAD added the "Rad Mission" a single-speed electric pedal assist metro bike for city riders at $1,099.

RAD makes many models between about $1,000 - $1,599 depending on the model. I chose the "RADCity Step-thru"  as 99% of my riding was concrete and asphalt. They make a model with 4 inch wide tires for street and offroad/sand the "RAD Rover".  Tires on RAD City are 2.3 inches wide. ok for dirt roads. Softer than that you need the 4" tires that float over the terrain.

They offer a 14 day free trial and 1 year warranty. I have had mine 3 years in June 2021 over 2,450 miles with no problems. 

I updated page one with this information.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 09 April 2021 - 08:52 PM.

Jim

#48 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 09 April 2021 - 11:15 PM

Over covid I converted my Mt bike to an Ebike. It is great ...light and Battery can be off and ride a a 7 speed. My wife is "graduating" this year after 36 straight years of teaching elementary school.... so I got her the lightest pedal assist bike out there and it is relatively at an affordable level ... it is all peddle assist and battery removed so it is just a regular 7 speed bicycle. (Propella) 

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 7.06.12 PM.jpg
  • propella.jpeg

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#49 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 01:58 AM

Very Good Buckland. Congrats to your wife for her 36 years of service and welcome to the E-Bike family. 

Hope you both have many years of fun riding and take them with you on your camping adventures,

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 10 April 2021 - 01:58 AM.

Jim

#50 Gentle on my world

Gentle on my world

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationTeddy's Place

Posted 10 April 2021 - 01:30 PM

I was under the impression the mid drive kit was a very rare conversion to make, besides being mechanically challenging.  What brand is it that you put on your Mt bike? 

Over covid I converted my Mt bike to an Ebike. It is great ...light and Battery can be off and ride a a 7 speed. My wife is "graduating" this year after 36 straight years of teaching elementary school.... so I got her the lightest pedal assist bike out there and it is relatively at an affordable level ... it is all peddle assist and battery removed so it is just a regular 7 speed bicycle. (Propella) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users