• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#51 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 10 April 2021 - 02:00 PM

The kit I bought was very straight forward. One removes the crank and replaces it with the kit parts/motor. I opted for the shift sensor and the brake handles with sensor so the motor disengages. It is a hoot peddling up a mountain road at 15 mph. I found the conversion fairly easy if you are not in a hurry and don't have a few beers under the belt. The hardest part was getting the grips off!

https://www.bafangus...attery-p/60.htm

Almost every eBike uses a Bafang motor.

Edited by buckland, 10 April 2021 - 02:00 PM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#52 Gentle on my world

Gentle on my world

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationTeddy's Place

Posted 10 April 2021 - 11:05 PM

Thanks.  I took a quick look at the various conversions.  I'll have to do a bit more research from their site to be sure, but I think mine will be compatible.

I think the mid drive is a good way to go.  Though I am thinking my 500 dollar gravel/hybrid, or whatever the heck it is, will be outclassed by the battery alone.

Giant ARX2  No suspension

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3

#53 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 April 2021 - 11:54 AM

It isn't cheap but I had a bicycle I like but wasn't riding that much as I live in a very hilly area... no way to come home but up. Really up.

It is old but well made (Brigestone MB6)  So going out for a ride is avoided due to having to walk the last mile (steep). Now I laugh ...people turn and look puzzled watching me going straight up). I just was being frugal not wanting two bikes.  

BTW I have a front receiver hitch which is where the bike rack goes... so not blocking camper door

Edited by buckland, 11 April 2021 - 11:55 AM.

Henry David Thoreau

#54 Gentle on my world

Gentle on my world

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationTeddy's Place

Posted 13 April 2021 - 09:56 PM

Yep, the front receiver is probably the one thing I got right with my ride.  I use it very little, but when I do, it's great.  I plan on putting a bike rack up front for longer trips as well.

It'd be an experience to take a bicycle ride up Mt. Washington!  I"m pretty sure they set aside one day of the year for motorcycles only.   And I know that there are the super humans who do it by pedal power (late august?).  Perhaps the right people putting together something similar for electric cycles in the future.

#55 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 April 2021 - 10:11 PM

Coming down might be harder!

Henry David Thoreau

#56 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 08 May 2021 - 09:43 PM

To Buckland and Return West

Front Receiver:

have had one of these of every truck I've owned over the years because they are so handy especially when you have a boat...And a 4 door full size truck...And a camper. Backing down a launch ramp is a lot easier driving forward pushing the trailer and the weight is over the wheels so one has good traction. when pulling boat out of water with a 2-WD truck.

Since I have a Tacoma the bike blocks my vision going down the highway. So when I get to my offroad trail head I swap the carrier to the front then remount the bike for the trip in which keeps the bike from getting blasted with dirt for 35 miles.

Electric mid drive is a better choice then the hub motor because it has gears. the complete bikes are expensive $2,700 (Trek) up. "Bafang" is a name I've heard about before. Didn't know they made a kit. Nice price, however E-bike prices are dropping so now a complete bike is available for around $800 Lectric Bikes...Downside its a one speed hub motor like mine...course if budgeted money is the issue then hub is fine with me...Just saying  :cool:

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 08 May 2021 - 09:54 PM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#57 Gentle on my world

Gentle on my world

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationTeddy's Place

Posted 09 May 2021 - 07:28 PM

Thanks for the Lectric link RC Pilot Jim.  IT makes for a  good "value" bike competitor to the radrunner:

Edited by Return west, 09 May 2021 - 07:31 PM.

#58 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 02:30 AM

Thanks Return West for a good comparison.

The one thing you didn't say or I (didn't hear) ...Class 2 bikes are limited to 20mph. In the RAD you can program the computer to increase the speed to 25mph IF one weighs under 180 and is smaller in frame size. I'm 225 riding weight 6' 1" and can't get it over 23.7 mph because I block too much wind,  unless I turn off the motor because it has a governor on it.

Going downhill motor off I have gotten up to 26mph. Average riding speed for exercise is 15-17 mph - PAS 1 (pedal assist one). 

At my latest tune up I had the front bearing greased so it should roll faster downhill. Test it next time I ride.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 25 May 2021 - 10:37 PM.

Jim

#59 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 08:44 PM

This month marks year three. Ridden 2,665 miles as of yesterday. Still averaging 100 miles a month. Unfortunately my bottom can only take 25 miles per ride. I'm on my fourth saddle...still not thick enough. Interested in buying a "3GGG" seat. Interested except delivery is 14 months. Need about 3 more inches of foam or Gel.

Will  Welcome any advice.

My mechanic Paul opened his own shop this winter - "Wrench House Cyclery". www.wrenchhouse.com. Paul Dunlap. phone 442-320-3366. Prices: same as North county bike shops charge and he comes to your location to do the work. Paul used to have the San Diego Velofix franchise until they started excessively increasing their annual renewal fees.

Congrats Paul on your new venture. In North San Diego County, give Paul a try.

Jim

#60 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 16 June 2021 - 12:32 AM

I'm not sure what your bike looks like -- it would be good to see a side view of you riding it. Also I've never ridden an E-bike, but I ride a road bike thousands of miles per year. I've found putting 1/3 your weight on your feet, 1/3 on your saddle, and 1/3 on your handlebars makes it a lot more comfortable. That's easy on a road bike, but on a "sit-up" E-bike where you don't put as much load on the pedals, it may be really difficult.

I've also found that bike shorts don't work as well on my mountain bike, which I rarely use so haven't figured out a better plan. But on my road bike it makes a huge difference.

Another trick is using "Glide" where the rubbing may happen. Available at sporting goods stores, and I'm sure there are competitive products. It's a waxy substance that is amazing.

For my road bike, a soft saddle makes things worse. The harder saddle puts your pressure on the sit bones, instead of... er... that soft tissue! But not sure that would work on your bike setup.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users