#1 zonker

zonker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationWillamette Valley, OR

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:03 AM

I will just bet that someone on this forum has a great suggestion for our FWC outside shower in regards to a little privacy. Now if I was like Kcowyo's friends with the Jeep.. I would just get "Nekkid" and stand on the hood of our truck (would not want my feet to get muddy), let her rip and not have a care in the world. Well.. I can say for sure my wife will not have any part of that kind of action and I guess quite honestly I would prefer something a little more cozy.

So offer up your favorite suggestions and help me find "Just exactly what I was looking for"!
Zonker 2004 FWC Hawk 2006 Fiat/Dodge w/QC and 5.9 Cummins

#2 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:14 AM

On my last camper I rigged something up where I made a U shaped PVC pipe assembly that easily dissasembled. I slid that into the yakima cross bars on my rack. On that I hung a shower curtain. I had a few bugs to work out of that system about the time I had to sell that camper due to life issues at the time.

I hope to revist that and do something similar. It's a good question though - I think the lack of a factory option in this department is crappy.

What I would really like to see is the option to have two metal brackets mounted high on the side of the camper and a third on the edge of the roof. The two brackets hold some kind of loop or pipe assembly like the one mentioned above. The third roof bracket is where you attach a cable from the raised roof to the outermost part of the pipe/loop assembly to hold it up. Hang curtain from that.

#3 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:17 AM

I don't have an outside shower on the Eagle model, so I went with the suggestions made on this thread:

http://www.wanderthe...=outback shower

The Outback shelter pops up and folds down really quickly. It was a great solution for me. If you set one of these up next to the camper, would the outside shower hose have enough reach to allow you to take a comfortable shower?

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#4 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:20 AM

I have a real love/hate relationship with the Outback Porta Privy. I love to use it, and I hate to put it away. Other than that, I also like the low initial cost, the interior size, and ease of set-up. It has a few really nice features like an accessible exterior towel holder, a removable floor (velcros at the corners) the skylight, glow in the dark zippers and it is ground-stake free.

The mobility of the tent is nice as you can easily move it into the sun while showering. It doubles for us as a private room for the potty, where that mobility comes in handy once again. But seriously, packing it up can be a real SOB until you get the hang of it.

But more importantly than my nitpicking... she loves it. And when she loves it, life is good. ;)

Cleanliness is next to Happiness -
Posted Image

Happiness -
Posted Image

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#5 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:41 AM

Stowing it does take some practice and a "feel" for the way the frame wants to bend, but once you get the hang of it, I've found stowing it is pretty quick.

If the wind picks up, you can stake it down. Mine came with ground stakes and guy lines. If it's a calm day, as kcowyo says, it can be left freestanding and no muss, no fuss.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#6 CJ8Rockcrawler

CJ8Rockcrawler

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:40 PM

Yeah... what they said. I've been using the outback for a year or so now. MUCH better than the previous one I had from one of the mass merchant big box outdoor stores. The free standing design is awesome and the cost is cheap enough that I won't mind replacing it in several years if the metal fatigues and breaks.

As KC said.. when she's happy...

On a side note, we have been using the Zodi extreme shower with ours as our Hawk wasn't equipped with the outdoor shower.

Kyle
1984 Jeep $crambler - Lifted/Locked on 35s/Caged/RTT Rack/Etc... 2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 6spd Diesel - Gauges/CB/2M Radio/Lorenz Bilstein 5100 Suspension with DP Leaf Springs/Carli Long Travel Airbags 2002 Hawk FWC - With all the goodies to keep the wife a "happy camper" "Paved Roads... Another example of wasteful government spending."

#7 CAPTAIN COORS

CAPTAIN COORS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:41 PM

We also use the Outback Porta Privy although it really works best as a bird blind.
2008 TUNDRA - TRW, FINCH CAMPER, KE7OEC WWW.DOVEMOUNTAINPHOTOS.COM

#8 4llamas

4llamas

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationSW Willamette Valley, Oregon

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:25 PM

I use a submersible pump powered by 4 D cell batteries in a separate foot switch. It came with a 6 foot hose and hand held shower head. Can't remember, but I might have gotten it at Cabela's. Didn't cost much and it does double duty as my sink faucet for the Camp Kitchen. A 12 volt bilge pump might work and avoid the batteries, although mine doesn't use up batteries too fast. I heat up a few gallons of water and drop in the pump. Works great. Some pvc pipe and a shower curtain should work for the privacy minded. If there is any interest I'll root through my car camping gear and get the specifics on my battery powered pump.
Enjoy

#9 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:45 PM

here are some basic links ...

Cabellas -- Sun Shower Enclosure

Zodi -- Shower Huts

Wal-Mart - Trail Shower Utility Room

Wal-Mart - Privacy Shelter

sample picture attached of similar shower enclosure "out in the field"

Attached Thumbnails

• outside shower enclosure 1.jpg
  • OUTSIDE SHOWER ENCLOSURE.jpg

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#10 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:49 PM

I've always thought DLN's internal shower was interesting. You need to work around each other showering inside but outside of that there would be minimal stuff the break down and less mud on stuff I'd think. Plus if you're running off your internal burners then there isn't a need for a bigger external propane rig. However it better be dry enough out to vent the condensation.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users