• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#11 mojave mark

mojave mark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:52 PM

We had the outback porta privy but it didn't hold up in windy conditions. Also never got the hang of folding it back up despite watching the video a bunch of times. We switched to the walmart utility enclosure and found it holds up much better in the wind:cool:

#12 MarkL

MarkL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:20 PM

We bought a shower enclosure from Cabela's last year and love it!

http://www.cabelas.c...0097&hasJS=true

In addition to showering, we use it as a changing room and with our Pett toilet.
Mark Langford- Brentwood, CA '07 FWC Hawk, '06 Dodge CTD '86 Jeep CJ7

#13 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:28 PM

I'm a little torn on this whole shower thing. Generally, we make it into a town every couple of days where we can grab a shower at a campground (most let you pay $5 and use the facilities), but a shower more often would be nice.

I have one of those solar showers and used it once so far, au naturale. The biggest grip with it was getting the bladder up high enough for gravity to make the water flow. Hanging it from one of the roof clamps wasn't high enough. Will probably just throw it on the roof next time.

The other problem is all the extra water. If you have water available, no problem, but I usually have to carry it into the desert. The shelter would be really nice, but it's just one more thing to pack and find a place for. I dunno.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#14 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:21 PM

We had the outback porta privy but it didn't hold up in windy conditions. Also never got the hang of folding it back up despite watching the video a bunch of times. We switched to the walmart utility enclosure and found it holds up much better in the wind:cool:

Hey Mojave Mark. Did you have problems with wind even when the guy lines were set up? How did it fail? I haven't had problems with wind (yet?).

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#15 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:53 PM

I'm a little torn on this whole shower thing. Generally, we make it into a town every couple of days where we can grab a shower at a campground (most let you pay $5 and use the facilities), but a shower more often would be nice.

I have one of those solar showers and used it once so far, au naturale. The biggest grip with it was getting the bladder up high enough for gravity to make the water flow. Hanging it from one of the roof clamps wasn't high enough. Will probably just throw it on the roof next time.

The other problem is all the extra water. If you have water available, no problem, but I usually have to carry it into the desert. The shelter would be really nice, but it's just one more thing to pack and find a place for. I dunno.

I'm of similar mindset to you. Getting a shower setup for the rig is pretty low on my priority list, got baby wipes for some cleaning in the meantime. :P However I'm all for brainstorming ideas up. :D

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#16 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:59 PM

I'm of similar mindset to you. Getting a shower setup for the rig is pretty low on my priority list, got baby wipes for some cleaning in the meantime. :P However I'm all for brainstorming ideas up. :D

We pretty much roll commando style with a sunshower too. Typically no one around to be concerned. The Porta Privy does seem to be the economical/space saving way to go though.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#17 4llamas

4llamas

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationSW Willamette Valley, Oregon

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:36 AM

This is the simple setup I use. Haven't used it with the Hawk yet, but it could work something like this. Everything but the water does double duty.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3847.jpg
  • IMG_3848.jpg

#18 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:23 AM

The only reason to have one is to spare the rest of the world this horrible sight.

Attached Thumbnails

• Copy of UNNAMED_FILE3422.jpeg

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#19 mojave mark

mojave mark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:55 PM

We used the outback model on several trips. Even with the extra tie downs, the wind won. On one of the trips, a friend had the "utility room" from walmart. That held up well in the wind. We have since purchased one and found it has held up well for the price. Another friend has the Cabelas model which she really likes. That one looks a bit heavier duty than the walmart one but is probably more $$$ too.

#20 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:35 PM

I use the Outback model. When I set it up, I only stake the 4 corners from the inside, then set a 5 gallon water can inside for added weight against the wind.

During extremely high winds, the entire unit will flatten out during a gust, then just pops up again. It has survived storms with winds gusting to 50 mph.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users