#41 yovik

yovik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationBaja Arizona

Posted 05 January 2019 - 07:23 AM

If the access to the turnbuckle and safety chain area is awkward I might have used a carabiner on one end. Great idea !

Next time the camper is off, I'll look at a tow-chain style steel carabiner pr maybe aa climbing biner, which could work too.
2006 Hawk, 2018 F150 XLT SuperCab 5.0 V8, 2020 Ibis Ripmo AF

#42 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 02:41 PM

I've read this article and several variations of it.

Am I the only one that feels something is very odd/fishy about it?

I could tell from noises in movement that ONE of my turnbuckles had come loose while offroad.

Ive driven that trail he was on several times.

My brain can't fathom he didn't realize his stuff was loose on that trail, it would of been making a freaking racket.

Anyone else find this whole story a bit odd?

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

#43 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 02:47 PM

Also, if you read the article I'm pretty sure the blown air-bag lead to some if his issues. More stress on the turnbuckles as he bounced around?

My 2c with a FWC and extreme off road people should move away from airbags.

I completely customized my suspension to be without airbags because I knew I'd be going extreme. Yes, the suspension,  might be a bit harsh if I have the camper out, but fulltime  camper install and desire to go extreme I think air bags are more a failure point than turnbuckles. 

I'll respectfully disagree here.

My current Tundra with my FWC is my 4th vehicle ive run airbags on and never once had a leak or an issue.

Its all about the install and doing it properly.  Folks i've seen with leaks and such almost always have the onboard compressor setup installed and that tends to be the source of the leaks.

I run the HD Firestone bags, simply plummed to rear bumper and use a hand pump, they have never leaked a pound.

I run the Daystay cradles and have done almost all of Moab, Big Bear and the back country of Death Valley with zero issues, flexes great.

When done right airbags are awesome.  When cheap bags are used or you have a improper install, they can be a nightmare.

My .02

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

#44 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 05 January 2019 - 03:37 PM

Airbags seem to be hit or miss. Some have nothing but trouble, others have none regardless of the service they put them thru.

Guys used to off-road in old Jeeps, at least those that I know, don't tend to be alarmed by squeaks and rattles. It's a normal part of their trip. One of them couldn't believe how quiet it was inside my old yota mini was going down a rough road at speed. If this guy is from the same school, then he may not have been too concerned, BUT when the load suddenly lightened by ~1000 lbs. he should have.

Climbing 'beiners have the weight rating, but are far from my first choice for a link in the tie-down system. In spite of their overall lower quality level and likely lower rating I prefer to use chain "quick links" in tie-downs and towing safety chains. I've been known to snug the barrel nut with a wrench.

8947t23c1-e01jl.png?ver=1432021542

Thom

Where does that road go?

#45 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 05 January 2019 - 07:36 PM

ntsqd, those quick links are handy ! Last trip helped a guy out with his boat trailer safety chain with one dug out from my bag of odds and sods. A good item to carry.

Was thinking 'biner because the spring gate might be easier to hook up in an awkward space. Maybe a steel type rather than a climbing. Also the poster was only using as a back up, I think.

With our camper deck, I tie down from the outside and have mostly forgotten how tough it may be for some users pick up/camper models. I imagine even jam nuts might be a hassle to install in some cases. So it's the old, easy for me to say, thing...

----

So Cal, IDK, I think it's legit. Not like insurance would be involved (?). Surprising, for sure. May just have been inexperience tuning into what sound/feels right and what doesn't.

I think the poster who wrote "live and learn" nailed it. If you can learn from others, that can work too ! And I think that was the OPs intent.

#46 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 05 January 2019 - 07:43 PM

An aluminum climbing 'biner might wear out. But as long as you check it, they are good for something like 1800 lb.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#47 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 07 January 2019 - 01:14 PM

Amazing story... and a very lucky guy! Incredible he had an army of help.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#48 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:09 PM

........................and here is where this story was first discussed on Wander the West -

Hate when this happens

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#49 knoxswift

knoxswift

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAshburn, Virginia

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:28 PM

I'll respectfully disagree here.

My current Tundra with my FWC is my 4th vehicle ive run airbags on and never once had a leak or an issue.

Its all about the install and doing it properly.  Folks i've seen with leaks and such almost always have the onboard compressor setup installed and that tends to be the source of the leaks.

I run the HD Firestone bags, simply plummed to rear bumper and use a hand pump, they have never leaked a pound.

I run the Daystay cradles and have done almost all of Moab, Big Bear and the back country of Death Valley with zero issues, flexes great.

When done right airbags are awesome.  When cheap bags are used or you have a improper install, they can be a nightmare.

My .02

Yup, as I said my opinion.

I know people who have broken springs.

I think I've read on-line less about spring breakage vs. airbags though.  You are probably right, install has alot to do with it, I do all my own work so I know how things are installed. Alot of people out-source their work and the question of install is always there when you don't do the work yourself.

#50 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:53 PM

I have merged this topic into one place.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users