• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#31 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:40 PM

All this is just my opinion... putting this out there, I found it very interesting the article called out the loss of an airbag, and I've read many times on forums of loss of airbags...I'm sure on that road the Tacoma was bottoming out with the lost airbag putting added stress on those turnbuckles...

I don't be surprised.

The guy wrote,

"I got up to the half way point, which was about eight to nine-miles from the start of the trail.  At that point I should have stopped and checked the turnbuckles again because my rig was shaking a lot, but I didn’t.  I continued on."

You know, if it sounds like a duck and walks like a duck... you ought to check it out. Because it doesn't usually get better the further in you drive.

#32 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:45 PM

All this is just my opinion... putting this out there, I found it very interesting the article called out the loss of an airbag, and I've read many times on forums of loss of airbags...I'm sure on that road the Tacoma was bottoming out with the lost airbag putting added stress on those turnbuckles...

I don't be surprised.

The guy wrote,

"I got up to the half way point, which was about eight to nine-miles from the start of the trail.  At that point I should have stopped and checked the turnbuckles again because my rig was shaking a lot, but I didn’t.  I continued on."

You know, if it rides like a duck and sounds like a duck... you ought to check it out. Because it doesn't usually get better, the further in you drive.

#33 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:08 AM

I've been happy with Sumosprings instead of air bags. They can't leak.

It's funny we were on the same road within a week of this incident. Glad we didn't run into a bunch of vehicles on the shelf road, because my backup skills need work.

Anyway, our turnbuckles have loosened a lot, which of course I didn't notice until we were on pavement and could really feel stuff shifting in the back. They weren't just a little loose. They were a lot loose, not far from unhooking. Reading about jam nuts here seems to have fixed it so far, but not a lot of trail miles yet, so can't comment. But I think if one of the four gets loose, then potentially the other three can also.

Meanwhile our camper has shifted all the way left in the truck bed. Haven't tried to center it yet. We don't have jacks.

Edited by rubberlegs, 05 January 2019 - 12:09 AM.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#34 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:16 AM

With our new to us Cuchara XL came some dubious hook/hook turnbuckles with aluminum adjuster bodies. Those got me home. I replaced them with these: https://www.mcmaster.com/3082t34

Fast forward to NY's when we take it to Lost Wages to meet up with family. No dirt, pavement only. The LR turnbuckle was completely unthreaded and dangling. This in spite of there being a lock nut on each side that were snugged.

First lesson: Snug isn't good enough, stripped and a 1/4 turn might be.

Second lesson: Take all turnbuckles apart before using them and start what will be the top clevis at least 5 turns into the middle piece before starting the bottom clevis. This so that if it does work loose there's a better chance that all of the parts will still be there when you discover it.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#35 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:18 AM

This. And This alone.

The guy does seem like a stand-up character, with a sense of humor, and who accepted his responsibility so I don't feel the need to rub it in further. Having said that, I put jamnuts on my turnbuckles and we've off-roaded the truck pretty hard, we've driven The Dempster, bounced around the South Canol Road, and many other places this past year and the turnbuckles have not even come close to thinking of loosening. Anyways. live and learn.

#2  He HAND TIGHTENED the turnbuckles and even after having one repeated loosen he never correctly tightened them.

#36 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:19 AM

#2  He HAND TIGHTENED the turnbuckles and even after having one repeated loosen he never correctly tightened them.

This. And This alone.

The guy does seem like a stand-up character, with a sense of humor, and who accepted his responsibility so I don't feel the need to rub it in further. Having said that, I put jamnuts on my turnbuckles and we've off-roaded the truck pretty hard, we've driven The Dempster, bounced around the South Canol Road, and many other places this past year and the turnbuckles have not even come close to thinking of loosening. Anyways. live and learn.

#37 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:51 AM

Hi Rubberlegs

You comment "not far from unhooking" suggests you have a J hook on one or other end of your turnbuckles......

Many use a thru bolt style forged clevis turnbuckle instead...it cannot "unhook" even if the turnbuckle itself loosens or becomes longer.

FWIW

David Graves

#38 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 05 January 2019 - 01:09 AM

Yes, both ends are hooks on our stock turnbuckles. So can the thru bolts come loose for the style you describe?

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#39 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 05 January 2019 - 01:15 AM

Meanwhile our camper has shifted all the way left in the truck bed. Haven't tried to center it yet. We don't have jacks.

I posted this on another turnbuckle thread, fwiw . ..

I've been able to have the camper move over by tightening the turnbuckles "a bit" more on the side that I want the camper to move to and loosening the turnbuckles "a bit" on the other side. Repeat in steps as necessary.

By "a bit" I mean bit more than what I normally do. I'm a hand tighten guy so I'd do that then maybe 1/4th turn more with a tool thru the turnbuckle. Likewise for the loosen side. The idea being that the camper will centre itself after some bouncing. Note I have a rubber mat underneath the camper, which might make the difference.

Oh, and I use 1 jam nut per corner. Done that for at least 10 years, can't remember beyond that... I figure the idea is the nut stops the turnbuckle from rotating, so if I set it up loose it stays loose. Tight, stays tight. Been working for me over thousands of KM off highway. But might not work for anyone else.

Oh yeah, this with the 21 year old OE hardware, complete with aluminum turnbuckle body.

But a safety is good. Mine is a tailgate.

#40 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 02:05 AM

I use locking nuts on the cross bolt of the clevis.....I am sorry I don't know more about posting images here.

David Graves

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users