• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 24 December 2018 - 07:06 PM

If you visit a local set of SCALES and weigh front, rear and both axles.....you will know what you have to start with. If you then simply look at the VIN tag on the vehicle it will tell you the maximum for each axle and both axles. If you then do the math, you will know what the maximum load for each axle can be. Just looking at the GVWR won't tell you if you are overloading the rear axel or not.

VIN tag readings minus what your empty truck readings = what you can SAFELY carry. The only problem is trying to find out what your mfger of choice ESTIMATES the weight of your camper is, plus all your "stuff" and passengers, adjusted for the center of gravity, based on the length of the cab vs the length of the truck bed is.

When in doubt, especially if you plan to keep the camper mounted year-round, opt to buy "more truck". nobody ever complained their rig was "UNDER loaded"!

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#22 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 25 December 2018 - 01:19 AM

I would try to find an F150 with the payload package option.

As the owner of a 2011 F150 with the heavy payload Package i would suggest getting a superduty,

then you don’t have an oddball truck that has little to no aftermarket support

Edited by Machinebuilder, 25 December 2018 - 01:32 AM.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#23 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 25 December 2018 - 01:12 PM

Ford advertises an extended cab F-150 with a hardside camper without the payload package and I have seen the rental versions of this setup.  The F-150 comes with several different rear axles so checking door stickers is worthwhile though folks have reported putting the Hawk on the smallest rear axle without any problems.  

The F-150 with a Hawk will brake better than an F-250/350 because of the lower weight based on actual tests reported in Trucktrend magazine.  I would rate my F-150 brakes as better than F-250/350.  

My opinion is the F-250/350 are better choices for "rough" country and making modifications.  

#24 EM4

EM4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, originally Vancouver BC

Posted 26 December 2018 - 03:37 PM

Howdy Wanderers,

I'm looking for folks who have real world experience (good and bad) with an F-150 or a Tundra (or both!)

I'm looking for a used truck, in the 2014-2018 range, and have narrowed it down to one of these two vehicles. ( I think)

Our Hawk is currently on a 2008 F150, with the 5.4, and it has almost 190k miles (pictured). The allowable cargo on the current truck is~1700 pounds. I have only added Firestone airbags to the rear end, and they've been great so far. Our current F150 gets 10-12 mpg.

Summed up simply: I'd like a well-priced newer truck that gets better mileage and has a touch more cargo allowance than the current 150.

What do folks think? Any constructive criticism of either of these trucks? Should I consider a GM or....a Dodge or...a...Nissan? [emoji12] attachicon.gif20181006_131112.jpeg

Hi there, I have a 2007 5.7 Tundra. Gas wise at 60 mph I can get 20 mpg unloaded highway driving. with 120,000 miles on it I have never had any trouble with it. Presently I have a 1300 lb Sun lite camper on it. Fully loaded I get 13 to 14 mpg highway. Love this truck and would recommend it .

#25 yovik

yovik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationBaja Arizona

Posted 26 December 2018 - 03:43 PM

Hi there, I have a 2007 5.7 Tundra. Gas wise at 60 mph I can get 20 mpg unloaded highway driving. with 120,000 miles on it I have never had any trouble with it. Presently I have a 1300 lb Sun lite camper on it. Fully loaded I get 13 to 14 mpg highway. Love this truck and would recommend it .

Finally, one vote for the Tundra! Thanks!
2006 Hawk, 2018 F150 XLT SuperCab 5.0 V8, 2020 Ibis Ripmo AF

#26 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 26 December 2018 - 07:01 PM

^

The allowable cargo on the current truck is~1700 pounds.

Summed up simply: I'd like a well-priced newer truck that gets better mileage and has a touch more cargo allowance than the current 150.

I figured the Tundra was out because it doesn't appear to meet the payload cut ( but might be different in your market).

The F150 payload varies with options but can be >1700 lbs for a 4x4 SC 6.5ft (like your current truck ?) but I think you might have more luck looking for a Supercrew 6.5' box. As that config had engine choices with higher available GWVR, RAWR and payload.

#27 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 26 December 2018 - 07:22 PM

As the owner of a 2011 F150 with the heavy payload Package i would suggest getting a superduty,

then you don’t have an oddball truck that has little to no aftermarket support

My opinion is the F-250/350 are better choices for "rough" country and making modifications.  

Interesting about aftermarket. I see a lot of F150s, and 1/2 tons generally, that have been "done up" with aftermarket parts. Sometimes I wonder why not just get the 3/4 ton, but then I think many folks have a strong desire to modify and customize. Even on these pages it's common to see threads about swapping to E ply tires and suspension upgrades. With their higher capacities, modding a 3/4 or 1 ton might be less satisfying to the folks I've seen driving around, IDK.

#28 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 26 December 2018 - 07:55 PM

Interesting about aftermarket. I see a lot of F150s, and 1/2 tons generally, that have been "done up" with aftermarket parts. Sometimes I wonder why not just get the 3/4 ton, but then I think many folks have a strong desire to modify and customize. Even on these pages it's common to see threads about swapping to E ply tires and suspension upgrades. With their higher capacities, modding a 3/4 or 1 ton might be less satisfying to the folks I've seen driving around, IDK.

There seems to be a tremendous amount of aftermarket for the Superdutys. Much less for the F150’s. Even less for the heavy payload version.
When I was trying to get better shocks and struts there just isn’t any support. The damping should be different for the much higher spring rate.
7 lug wheels are just not available and it’s hard and expensive to find the factory steel wheels.

If your going to end up with a F150 that’s rated the same as a F250 just get the F250.
YMMV

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#29 overtheborder

overtheborder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationNorth Idaho and Southern BC

Posted 03 January 2019 - 01:59 AM

I have a 2016 F150 SuperCrew 4WD with the 3.5L V6 EcoBoost engine. I added rear Bilstein 5100 shocks and Timbrens. It handles my front dinette Hawk with no problems. Lots of power and good mileage (~20 mpg empty and ~18 mpg loaded). 

One consideration with the EcoBoost engine; you can get power or mileage but not both. The mileage drops significantly if you are into the turbos a lot. But if you drive moderately (as I do loaded) it is not a problem.

Very happy with this truck.

#30 yovik

yovik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationBaja Arizona

Posted 03 January 2019 - 02:36 AM

I have a 2016 F150 SuperCrew 4WD with the 3.5L V6 EcoBoost engine. I added rear Bilstein 5100 shocks and Timbrens. It handles my front dinette Hawk with no problems. Lots of power and good mileage (~20 mpg empty and ~18 mpg loaded).

One consideration with the EcoBoost engine; you can get power or mileage but not both. The mileage drops significantly if you are into the turbos a lot. But if you drive moderately (as I do loaded) it is not a problem.

Very happy with this truck.

Thank you! Do you know the cargo allowed in your truck? And have you weighed your truck loaded up? Thanks again!
2006 Hawk, 2018 F150 XLT SuperCab 5.0 V8, 2020 Ibis Ripmo AF

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users