• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 Hayduke

Hayduke

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast California

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:20 PM

Ha. well, on the same topic, I replaced my rear leaf springs 10 years ago w/ aftermarket leaf springs from an outfit that sold aftermarket toyota mods. My original leafs on my 99 Tacoma just couldn't handle the weight of my shell model fwc and the truck was riding dangerously close to the tires. As a result, I guess I have developed some kind of memory in the leaf springs, as I wasn't leaning to the left just after I put those leafs on my truck. I built cabinets and added the stove/sink/propane, all, you guessed it, on the left side of the camper.
My question here is, is it normal for leaf springs to develop memory like this? I'm supposing suspension air bags will be the cheaper fix for this as opposed to getting another set of leaf springs. Also, I have a lot of sway with that camper on. Do the airbags help with that? Anything appreciated.
Hayduke

#42 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:55 PM

The airbags can be adjusted individually, so you can support the heavier side with more air to even things out. I notice a lot less sway with them too.

I did hear of a shop connecting the bags to one valve, which you don't want. If air can flow between bags, when you lean it will make it worse. Make sure they are individually adjustable with two valve stems.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#43 Hayduke

Hayduke

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:52 PM

brett
It's appreciated. Thanks for the info. I'm leaving for a 9 day round of Eureka/Racetrack/Hunter Mt./Saline Valley on April 10th with my 8 year old daughter. I'll have one more trip leaning to the left before ordering some bags.
Is anyone else gonna be skulking around out there during this time? Let me know so I can look for you.
Hayduke

#44 bsharp007

bsharp007

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:51 PM

bsharp in Santa Cruz,
I think I might know you from past. I work in fire department in Aptos. I'd like to see those airbags. My truck has been leaning to the left for several years and need to address the situation. I'm in a white 99 tacoma w/fwc on it. Leaving for Death Valley in a week w/ my 8 year old daughter. Did you do the install? and where'd you get the bags?
Take Care

Hi Hayduke,
More than likely we have crossed path, I'm an old AMR employee and still have a couple of friends at your dept. Anyway, your welcome too check the airbags out, I'll be starting a 4day this Tues. I bought the bags from the Suspension Connection online, they are currently 260.00. I also had Big O on Water St do the install, I don't remember the price but it was reasonable.
As was mentioned one of the advantages is being able to individually adjust each side, eliminating leaning on the heavy side where all the appliances are. Incidently I had the same problem with the leaning in my VW Eurovan Camper that I replaced with the 4WC.

Will,  2019 Ford F150 with a 2022 Hawk

#45 Brewery Meister

Brewery Meister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, Cal

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:48 PM

Hello,

I work at the Simpkins Swim Center on 17th Ave.

I have an AT Panther on my '02 Tundra. I'm not using bags, I'm using a different system http://www.activesuspension.com/ . Check it out. It's amazing how well it works. You can have it installed locally, about 5 minutes from the swim center.

If you're interested in seeing how mine look/work let me know. I have the truck at work most of the time.

Clark
Clark B :thumb:

2002 Tundra 4WD Limited...TRD package... limited slip... slight lift... custom built ATC - first one sold.

https://www.allterra...attie_Page.html

#46 bsharp007

bsharp007

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:44 PM

That looks very promising, especially if it eliminates sway completely. The RideRites help a lot with the sway but it's still slightly present. Too bad I didn't know abiout this brand before I bought Firestones airbags:(

Will,  2019 Ford F150 with a 2022 Hawk

#47 Brewery Meister

Brewery Meister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, Cal

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:54 PM

about those "springs" before. They are great. Good luck and if you want to check mine out you can get ahold of me at the swim center on 17th ave. 454-7901. Ask for Clark

CB
Clark B :thumb:

2002 Tundra 4WD Limited...TRD package... limited slip... slight lift... custom built ATC - first one sold.

https://www.allterra...attie_Page.html

#48 Darryla

Darryla

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:40 AM

Hi All: Yes, you have not heard from me for a while as I have been enjoying the camper. But, today on my way home I followed another Tacoma which had a fully loaded Eagle on it. It was bouncing and swaying all over the place in my mind. I stopped and talked to the owner and he said he had air bags of which look like Firestone's. My super springs appear to be doing as well without the bounce. I have purchased a sway bar of which I will put on in a few days. I will let you know. I think the idea Clark has is worth checking out and I intend to look at that also.

Just my comments,

Darryl

#49 Hayduke

Hayduke

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:48 PM

Hey Will, Thought I knew you. I worked as a medic w/ AMR when you did. Hope you are doing good. I'll be going to Death Valley here for a week. Maybe I'll be able to make an effort to see those bags at some point after. I'll probably try to check the leaf spring assist idea of Clarks too. Thanks Clark. Thanks also to Darryl for the info.
Hayduke (aka Steve B.)

#50 ColoradoGuy

ColoradoGuy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:44 AM

As the author of a previous thread on airbags, I'll point out that I finally resolved my issues by buying the Timbren spacers. They're worked out great for me, saved me money, and are impervious to breakage. My Tacoma sits flat and rides much better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users