29 replies to this topic

#1 Uncle Grumpy

Uncle Grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 11:05 PM

Of course I've been thinking about how to properly outfit/modify the upcoming super shell and I got to pondering the gap over the truck roof.
How about this? Pool Noodle wrapped in a nice tight, maybe velcroed sunbrella sleeve and cut so it fits just right. What do you think?

#2 marty

marty

• Members
  • 338 posts
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:02 AM

The gap on your camper above the cab is going to be the smallest gap of any due to the camper being built with a thinner floor pack. the wood is the same only three inches shorter to allow for the higher bed level of your truck. I think the fit is going to be very good. I also think that if you or us install a mask of sort between the truck cab and cabover it would rip when the truck frame flexes unless it was very pliable and only attached to one. that is a good idea you have I think. I am trying to get a better visual of it in my mind.
And we are always looking for a better way to do stuff. Please don't get me wrong we build a fantastic camper. I think the best ideas come from the owners of the campers so please bounce any of them off us.

Marty

#3 marty

marty

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:12 AM

Diana just clued me in by pointing out back to the pool. swimming pool noodle ? I think that is a good idea. only maybe with a better foam that lasts longer. the only draw back there would be, would be putting some thing on the paint of the truck to keep it from wearing off. Now I can see this working.

Marty

#4 Uncle Grumpy

Uncle Grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:25 AM

the only draw back there would be, would be putting some thing on the paint of the truck to keep it from wearing off

wrapped in a nice tight, maybe velcroed sunbrella sleeve

Or some other fabric that won't abrade the paint.
Always thinkin';)

#5 marty

marty

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:37 AM

Dirt on the fabric is my concern. However I think there is a way around this scratch problem. At one time Ben had a convertable corvette and under the top at the rear they put a thin plastic film that was a thick clear tape right on the paint. this way the dirt did not scrstch the paint. this may work with your idea.

Marty

#6 Uncle Grumpy

Uncle Grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:15 AM

Isn't there some clear peel and stick stuff they use these days for anti ding protection?

#7 marty

marty

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:11 AM

I have not seen that but I would believe it to be the answer to any scratches from dirt collecting on your invention. You will also need to put a name on this product. Air turbulence reduct-or might sound better than noodle but it is your thing to name. ha-ha and people think i have no humor

Marty

#8 Uncle Grumpy

Uncle Grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:57 PM

http://products3.3m....ler/output_html

http://www.graphicma...mscotchgard.htm

#9 marty

marty

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 04:59 AM

I think you found the answer to make this work. Velcro on the bottom of the bed board and on your air blockage device with the ding resistance tape on the cab to prevent scratching and presto it is done. This may block enough to increase your fuel mileage a mile or two with any luck. And now you can use any type of material to make this out of. wonder what would be soft and water repellent and color friendly with the truck and camper.

Marty

#10 Uncle Grumpy

Uncle Grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:13 PM

The only drawback I can see is the cost/accessability of the 3m tape.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users