simple air dam idea

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#11 Kilroy

Kilroy

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:44 AM

This is a pretty neat idea. Is the idea to fill the space across the front and then bend back to the main body of the camper?

The 3m stuff is hard to find for a DIY but it looks like the same sort of thing available at the site that Uncle Grumpy listed.

Milage really takes a beating with the camper on (Hawk) and if I could find a mile a gallon it would be a 8-10% increase.

#12 marty

marty

• Members
  • 338 posts
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 15 February 2007 - 06:37 AM

Kilroy,
I think Uncle Grumpy came up with a good one here. I will be the first to tell you that I do not do rocket science but I think this will give you that one mile per gallon or about that. I do not think it will have to wrap back to the front wall to work and I think it will get rid of that wind noise that sometimes happens with an overhead camper. I wonder if contact paper would work like the stuff that is used to line drawers. some of that stuff looks fairly thick and it comes in lot's of colors so it might not look out of place on the paint. and I would think it would be much more wallet friendly.

Have a good evening,

Marty

#13 Kilroy

Kilroy

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:00 AM

Bet it would. You know they are selling some type of contact paper made to go on vehicles. I most often see it in camouflage. Not sure where to get it though. Cabela's might be a place to look. Just thinking of it as I write, will have to search later.

Dave

. I wonder if contact paper would work like the stuff that is used to line drawers. some of that stuff looks fairly thick and it comes in lot's of colors so it might not look out of place on the paint. and I would think it would be much more wallet friendly.

Have a good evening,

Marty

#14 Uncle Grumpy

Uncle Grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:00 PM

I bet a hunk of that flexible magnet sign stuff could be aquired pretty cheap!

#15 marty

marty

• Members
  • 338 posts
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 17 February 2007 - 03:29 AM

Just find a sign shop or banner store. Good idea.

#16 Hayduke

Hayduke

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast California

Posted 23 March 2007 - 03:33 PM

I wondered how much overhang there is on these campers. On my FWC shell due to relatively short overhang, I had room on my truck to install one yakima roof rack and put a fairing on it. Essentially, they sell pieces of lexan that mount to the rack at an angle and the air is deflected up and away. I know this involves a certain cost, but mine has been working for 8 years now and have never had to take it off. I just leave it on the truck when the camper is off. Works great.
Hayduke

Attached Thumbnails

• fairing.jpg

#17 bluefly

bluefly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 02:22 PM

I wondered how much overhang there is on these campers. On my FWC shell due to relatively short overhang, I had room on my truck to install one yakima roof rack and put a fairing on it. Essentially, they sell pieces of lexan that mount to the rack at an angle and the air is deflected up and away. I know this involves a certain cost, but mine has been working for 8 years now and have never had to take it off. I just leave it on the truck when the camper is off. Works great.
Hayduke

I've been thinking to mount a yakima fairing to the underside of the camper- saw a FWC with that setup in San Clemente. But all the talk on this board about flex affecting the clearance put me off deciding either way.

Head slap after reading your post, Hayduke.

#18 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 05 April 2007 - 04:46 PM

Ok I have one that I did and will try to explain without pictures.

I have the Tule defelector that I used the same material and made it wider by attaching wings to the sides. You could just go to a plastic place and buy a bigger sheet and cut out a larger one and mount.

I had a roll of rubber that is thick enough to be strong. I went to Lowe's and bought a piece of alumimum flat stock. I attached the rubber to the top back of the plastic and put the flat stock behind the rubber and used rivets to fasten. The flat stock was cut up half way all the way across so it will fit flat with the bend and countor of the deflector.

I used the 3M clear proctor sheeting that you use for front hoods etc. and put it on the under side of the camper extension. My Ranger extends past the cab of the truck.

I remounted the deflector on the truck and have the bend-bow of the rubber foward and will glide back and forth of the 3M protoctor.

Since the install I have zero bugs on the camper where it protects and the cab noise is alot less noisier. It may have increased gas mileage. I have driven in very strong head winds and the rubber has not popped backwards.

I'll try to take some pictures to help explain.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#19 Kilroy

Kilroy

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 01:47 AM

Where did you fine the 3M clear protector sheeting? I've been unable to find it retail. Thanks

I used the 3M clear proctor sheeting that you use for front hoods etc. and put it on the under side of the camper extension. My Ranger extends past the cab of the truck.

I remounted the deflector on the truck and have the bend-bow of the rubber foward and will glide back and forth of the 3M protoctor.

Since the install I have zero bugs on the camper where it protects and the cab noise is alot less noisier. It may have increased gas mileage. I have driven in very strong head winds and the rubber has not popped backwards.

I'll try to take some pictures to help explain.

#20 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 07 April 2007 - 02:03 AM

Hi Kilroy,

A friend of mine had a roll of 4" wide and it’s a little thicker than the stuff for front hoods. He sold me a strip to put on. He uses it for protecting the keel on the underside of his wood and fiberglass kayaks. So what he has is pretty tough stuff. I guess any clear adhesive would work to create a smooth interface between the rubber and the bottom of the camper. If you need me to I can call him for his supplier and name of the product.

This weekend I need to pull it out of the garage and take some pictures and post back here. Still has some Utah mud on the underside from last September that needs removing.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users