#31 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 23 August 2019 - 02:28 PM

thank you for sharing good information.

Well, finally I have some info to report regarding the claim process for a total loss on both the truck and camper.

The process was long, didn't reach a number on each until this week, still waiting on personal property claim. So 23 days and counting. One check is in the mail, others still pending. They would have given me an advance payment since I have a clear title, but I didn't take it.

Some lessons:

1- Make sure you have a key to mail to company along with your title, which I did. Even if you leave a key with the wreck, they will charge you $250 if you don't mail a key with your title to the company.

2- Salvage as much of your personal property as possible, which I did, and then take pictures of personal property which is left behind, which I did. But this isn't always enough. My medical insurance company wouldn't replace my Cpap for free unless it was listed as lost on the police report, which it wasn't. I have submitted it to my auto insurance and I'm waiting for an answer. I finally paid for one and hoping to get reimbursed. ( I was tired of being tired without using one to sleep.

3- I screwed up and didn't have car rental coverage on the truck policy, I do now. My buddy who was the driver is covering the cost of a rental.

4- If your truck is registered in Texas, remove the plates and destroy them, I didn't, so had to complete another form.

5- Keep receipts on everything, both paper and digital. I had my receipts for tires and battery in the truck, so that I would have them if needed for those warranties. Of course I didn't retrieve them. They would have increased the value of the Ranger for new tires and new battery.

6- The Ins Co has been great as far a the few medical bills, I have up to $12,500 under personal injury and medical expenses, so I just gave the medical providers the insurance info and my doctor and Physical Therapy will bill the Ins Co directly. The adjuster said they will pay for any medically necessary procedures. So ER, X-rays, and PT for my fractured clavicle. I should be 100% in another 4-6 weeks, depending on who's opinion is right. 

I think because I had a separate policy on the camper I may have done slightly better: 

1- I was allowed up to $750 for hotels and food, so the rest of the road trip and my return home was reimbursed by submitting receipts. This was included in my camper policy not the truck.

2- I was allowed up to $3000 for personal property under the camper policy. I had to have receipts and photos were also helpful, both pre-wreck and the after wreck.

3- Receipts and photos of the items added to the camper were helpful. For example the adjuster valued my awning at $240, until I submitted a receipt for $1407.00 for my ezi-awn batwing awning. They then increased the value of my FWC Eagle.

4- Once I take delivery of my new FWC Hawk in October, I will buy RV replacement coverage. I think they said it will last for 5 years. This I think could be very useful, say for example you live in TX and they find one in Oregon. I believe they pay for delivery.

If I understand this, then if I have a total loss they will find a replacement or a one newer and buy it for me. ( Not 100% sure on the details) My other option is to purchase "Agreed Upon Value" coverage. So if my Hawk costs $X and has Y options, then I add ABC to it I can submit receipts and the company and I will reach a new "agreed upon value". It will add to the policy cost but make the claim process easier. You have to send receipts to the insurance company before the wreck as you add stuff.

I hope this helps others. Of course I never thought I would need the policy on my camper, and maybe had I been the one driving, I wouldn't have needed it, but **** happens and that's why its called an accident.

Travel Safe 

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#32 radarcontact

radarcontact

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • LocationWyoming, USA

Posted 23 August 2019 - 03:17 PM

It's sad to lose something you love and labored over, but the big picture is that you're around, unhurt and able to rebuild.  Glad you and your friend are OK and good luck with your next FW project.

#33 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 23 August 2019 - 04:23 PM

David, It was thru bolted per factory instructions. In fact the previous owner had it thru bolted on a Ranger done by the factory, so we just removed it and did the same thing. The bolts remained attached to the truck and the washer and bolt heads pulled through the floor of the camper. 

Interestingly, the camper floor remain securely attached to the camper. So that speaks well for FWC, even though they say you can't stand inside unless the floor is supported.

I'm considering adding a thin 3 inch wide aluminum flat bar across the bolt head inside the camper this time. We always had a small carpet on the floor so the aluminum bars would be covered. Of course who knows if I, the truck or the camper would have been in better or worse shape had the camper remained attached. I don't plan to re-test.

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#34 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:59 PM

Thanks Larry.

#35 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 24 August 2019 - 10:25 AM

Thank you for sharing your experience both during and afterward so that we can all learn.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#36 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 24 August 2019 - 06:43 PM

Hi larryqp
Good to hear you are well and able to do battle with the Ins. company. There is definitely a separation between the world we live in and the world as viewed by your insurer. Your advice is noted and appreciated.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#37 patrkbukly

patrkbukly

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationFairplay, CO

Posted 25 August 2019 - 02:15 PM

Damnit anyway. Glad everyone is OK. At least on the outside. 

#38 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 28 August 2019 - 01:10 AM

Glad no serious injuries. That you both walked away from that...miraculous

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#39 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 03 September 2019 - 05:32 PM

Well, things are winding down with the insurance company, first check arrived in the mail for the FWC  Eagle, the check for the Ranger was mailed to same address but in another state, so waiting for that. Surprisingly, the smaller checks for personal property and Emergency expenses are taking the longest. But I think this is more an issue with the individual adjuster being slow.

I thought of another lesson learned that I want to share, don't think it was in my original list.

Medication

Being a geezer with some minor medical issues, I have a few meds I take everyday. I always pack medication day planners prior to a trip and take more days than I need. But I keep the day planners in there camper. Well, because the camper was upside down and everything was thrown all over the place, I was not able to retrieve my medication until late the following day. So since I always take a couple of extra days with me on trips, going forward I will keep the extra days in the truck. My thinking is I should be able to retrieve one supply or the other.

I have taken delivery on a replacement truck and have already started some mods in anticipation of getting the camping. I am scanning each receipt and saving it to a folder on my laptop, which will get backup to dropbox. I am also emailing the receipts to myself and saving them in a folder in my hotmail account and of course saving & filing the paper receipt. Might be overkill, but I'm thinking I should be able to retrieve receipts where ever I am on the planet, assuming I have internet. I will also send them in to my insurance company once I have all the major mods done. 

I'm also hoping for a reverse Murphy's Law effect. If I go through all this process with receipts, then I'll never need them. LOL

Travel Safe 

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#40 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 04 September 2019 - 10:31 PM

Glad it's coming together. One thing about write offs, there's no repair agony.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accident, FWC Eagle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users