27 replies to this topic

#11 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 16 February 2020 - 04:19 PM

We drop our Tundra/Hawk combo to 25 front and 35 rear for driving comfort and increased traction, especially on multi day trips.

Sometimes the opposite question comes up.
How far and at what speed can we safely travel without airing up? We carry a small compressor, but sometimes the gas station is only 20 miles down the road. I won't drive freeway speeds, but have driven on soft tires a ways, while watching corners with caution.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#12 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 16 February 2020 - 05:25 PM

AWG...will do; you enjoy your trip to DV, that and White Mountains are on our short list for next year or even this Fall... we will let you know how we handled tire pressure when we get back; early April...my compressor that I carry is:  VIAIR 450P Automatic Function Portable Compressor....

If I get into a situation where I am losing traction I will air down....otherwise, notwithstanding the factor I missed, that of jarring the Tundra/Hawk on hard tires, I will simply slow down on any road that could deliver a real shock...unfortunately, unexpected, unseen, road condition can whoop the truck before I can slow down...always a compromise...but tires are part of the suspension system.

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 16 February 2020 - 05:27 PM.

#13 Adventurer

Adventurer

Advanced Member

• Gone Traveling
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 05:36 PM

If for no other reason than ride quality.

#14 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,771 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:11 PM

For your trip out to White Pocket when you come in from South or North on House Rock Road.  Drop your air pressure early on and refill before pavement.  Put a extra 7 to 10 psi in and then in the morning you just need to let air out to adjust instead of pulling out the air compressor.

Dropping early you wont have to do it later and it will give you a smother ride.  Early March you may run into some sections that are slick or mucked up and dried.  Softer ride makes it better.  Check with BLM and call a local guides to see what the road conditions are.

If North is bad then consider coming in on the South.  There are some muddy sections getting to White Pocket turn off but not as much coming in from the North.

Going into White Pocket there are stretches of sand and areas of rock outcroppings.  So you go slow on the rocks and keep momentum on the sand.

That time of year expect rain and snow, cloudy days and clear days.  Seasonal changes.

Take half or a little more air out.  You can always take more if needed.  I have been there 4 times and three times towing a Casita trailer with my Toyota 4 Runner.  16 psi Runner and 23 psi trailer.  I always got the look and question... how did you get that in here??  I respond.  "It's OK it is just a drag"

'

101003_PP7365.jpg

Edited by pvstoy, 16 February 2020 - 06:13 PM.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#15 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:12 PM

Just what awaits you.

PatrickPevey_Sandstone castle_Landscapes.jpg

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#16 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 16 February 2020 - 07:12 PM

Thanks...

Thanks..photo looks like WP...you said "North", I assume you referred to N. Coyote?  Yes, on entry and exit on House Rock Rd.. We have a permit for S. Coyote only, on 3-11.  Plan to spend night at Cottonwood Cove TH 3-10 and then late in day drive over to WP and camp the night of 3-11 there....gives my Bride, who has been there before [but I haven't] the opportunity for photography in morning and evening at both locations....then on to Tuweep CG on the Rim!

#17 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,963 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 16 February 2020 - 07:40 PM

I'd like more details on the south vs north approach.  Plan on being in there in April too.

#18 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 07:53 PM

Looks like you are coming in North on House Rock and when done going out the South.  You can always try for a walk in permit for the Wave when you drive through Kanab.

Cottonwood Cove is nice and at the trail head you can camp as the permit area is behind the parking area.  At the parking area the evening before head from the parking area North East to a cluster of rocks and explore.  It is outside the permit area.

The road between the airstrip and White Pocket is always thrashed, watch your speed as hitting pot holes in the sand will rearrange the contents of the camper.

I have found going to Cottonwood cove using the road from the south BM 1066 is best than heading up hill from House Rock to Paw hole..  After White Pocket use BM ??? this map does not give it.  But better and that is where I took the trailer 3 times and came out last year with the camper.

.image001.jpg

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#19 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 16 February 2020 - 08:15 PM

Looks like you are coming in North on House Rock and when done going out the South.  You can always try for a walk in permit for the Wave when you drive through Kanab.

Cottonwood Cove is nice and at the trail head you can camp as the permit area is behind the parking area.  At the parking area the evening before head from the parking area North East to a cluster of rocks and explore.  It is outside the permit area.

The road between the airstrip and White Pocket is always thrashed, watch your speed as hitting pot holes in the sand will rearrange the contents of the camper.

I have found going to Cottonwood cove using the road from the south BM 1066 is best than heading up hill from House Rock to Paw hole..  After White Pocket use BM ??? this map does not give it.  But better and that is where I took the trailer 3 times and came out last year with the camper.

.attachicon.gifimage001.jpg

Thanks for tip on BLM 1066...I think since we are coming off 89 from Page, South on House Rock that I put in the route North of 1066 past Paw Hole; will go down to 1066, few more miles but might avoid a tiger trap...we go through Kanab after stopping at SCB and WP in route to Tuweep CG.. [then on to Smoky Mt Rd North].

Just for me, but this may well be the last and only time I ever plan a trip to a location that requires using a lottery system or reserving on-line at one minute after midnight to try for a very limited number of reservations the instant 4 months in advance that site come up for reservations [did this for 5 nights for White Rim camp sites; oh, don't forget time zones!].  Complicating all that is that each agency and district seems to have a unique set of rules about how and when to submit an "application" for a reservation...hence the "Wave" is out the air-lock for me; no interest in this grist mill created by mobs of visitation and the complicating agency mandates. Too many people, I dig it, but I will seek out more BFE locations and leave these other locations to the 'surge'.  Prefer HITR type options.

Thanks again...appreciate this type of first-hand information.

Phil

#20 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 17 February 2020 - 12:58 AM

Like Zoomad my normal low pressure is 20 PSI for the lighter rigs (Bronc-up, Blanc-Oh!, 4rnnr, yota pick-up). I've never had a situation where I felt like I needed to go lower.

On the heavier rigs like our CTD/pop-top and both Suburbans 40 PSI is my first stop. I've never felt the need to go lower with them either, but I keep the option open.

I know a guy with a Samurai on Super Swampers whose low pressure is to take the valve stem cores out and put them in the glove box. When the tires stop whistling he puts the caps back on loosely to keep dirt out of the insides of the tires.

Thom

Where does that road go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users