• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,081 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 16 July 2020 - 01:53 PM

Thanks Vic you are most probably right ... it would be overkill. I guess I have the concern that my dyi battery might in some way affect the Battleborn battery should the dyi battery fail somehow. Not that I wear suspenders and a belt but like to err on the side of caution.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#42 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 16 July 2020 - 07:57 PM

I would have those concerns as my ignorance necessitates caution. Also whether or not being run in parallel has, previously/currently, affected incoming A, or outgoing Ah. How does the resting V compare?

Edited by Stokeme, 16 July 2020 - 08:50 PM.

#43 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,081 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 16 July 2020 - 08:47 PM

Battleborn seems to go all the way to 14.4 then with everything off in camper in the evening it is down to 13.4-5 the DYI goes down to 13.35 ... so both pretty close 

Henry David Thoreau

#44 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,972 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 16 July 2020 - 10:38 PM

Battleborn seems to go all the way to 14.4 then with everything off in camper in the evening it is down to 13.4-5 the DYI goes down to 13.35 ... so both pretty close 

Those numbers make sense... given what your charge and float voltages are set to (if you are using numbers I have seen recommended here and elsewhere).

#45 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,081 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 17 August 2020 - 02:28 PM

Another question about charging. Reminder I have a Battleborn and DYI LiFePo4 batteries in parallel. Currently camper main is on but fridge is off. Not much on but smoke alarm.
I notice through the Victron app the batteries sometimes are up to 14.2 but then overnight they are between 13.2 to 13.4. What makes the loss? Is the LiFePo4 setting on Victron 100-20 keeping them at 12.3 v for some reason? My settings are adsorption 14.2 and float at 13.5.

Henry David Thoreau

#46 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 05:15 AM

Another question about charging. Reminder I have a Battleborn and DYI LiFePo4 batteries in parallel. Currently camper main is on but fridge is off. Not much on but smoke alarm.
I notice through the Victron app the batteries sometimes are up to 14.2 but then overnight they are between 13.2 to 13.4. What makes the loss? Is the LiFePo4 setting on Victron 100-20 keeping them at 12.3 v for some reason? My settings are adsorption 14.2 and float at 13.5.

I dunno, but I think the key phrase might be the last one... "My settings are adsorption 14.2 and float at 13.5.".  That would mean to me that if the batteries are fully charged and resting (float) you can expect to see the (overnight/resting) voltage be 13.5 or so.  "Sometimes" that bounces up to 14.2 when the controller is topping them up.   

Make sense?  

#47 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,081 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 August 2020 - 10:35 AM

I think so !

I am always sure of one thing and that is I don't have enough knowledge on the subject. 

The difference between 13.2 and 13.5 is a lot of acvxzperage is it not with LiFePo4 batteries?

Sees to vanish... I wonder if it is not the fact that the DIY draws the Battleborn down. I have to balance 

often as one cell seems to always be the outlier.

Thanks Vic 

Edited by buckland, 18 August 2020 - 10:40 AM.

Henry David Thoreau

#48 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 04:59 PM

I think so !

I am always sure of one thing and that is I don't have enough knowledge on the subject. 

The difference between 13.2 and 13.5 is a lot of acvxzperage is it not with LiFePo4 batteries?

Sees to vanish... I wonder if it is not the fact that the DIY draws the Battleborn down. I have to balance 

often as one cell seems to always be the outlier.

Thanks Vic 

The more I learn the more I realize I know very little.

I think you meant to say "The difference between 14.2 and 13.5 is a lot of amperage is it not with LiFePo4 batteries?"  And I agree, that seems like a big difference.  However, the way I see it is that 14.2 is the voltage necessary to CHARGE the battery to a resting level of 13.5V.  So when the charger is active, you see the voltage it is putting out, not the level that the battery is at.

I'm not sure how the two LiFePo4 batteries would interact if they are not identical.  They will always try to be in balance with each other though

#49 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,081 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 August 2020 - 09:54 PM

Saw this ad and wondered ... would a dc to dc charger replace the blue sea ACR?

https://www.renogy.c...CJITGRNeksifQ==

Henry David Thoreau

#50 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 August 2020 - 10:48 PM

Interesting and very informative thread!

I am in the process of upgrading our solar/battery system after our flexible panels gave up the ghost. We will be installing 2, 100 watt solid panels from Renogy and a second BattleBorn battery. I’m hoping this will allow us to stay off the grid for an extended period of time.

I am also building my Jeep Gladiator into a more remote camping rig, possibly going to Baja when things open back up. In doing my research for that build the Redarc  BCDC 1225 controller with solar input gets high marks as they have been around a long time.

https://redarcelectr...battery-charger

We are hoping to do the Nova Scotia/ Newfoundland/Labrador route next summer if things get straightened out...maybe we can have a WTW rendezvous on the East Coast!

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users