23 replies to this topic

#21 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 992 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:58 AM

Foy, thanks for the geology note. I think I may have read that in some distant past, but would not have remembered it. That is interesting country. Had a friend who taught geology field camp out of Dillon for years - lot's of cool rocks and stratigraphy around there. Have fun!

Yessir, Taku, Dillon is nowadays one of the more heavily used areas for undergraduate geology field camp courses.  Exactly 42 years ago this week, I arrived in Dillon at the campus of Western Montana College where the University of Montana's field camp was, and still is, taught. For a kid from Appalachian State University who was accustomed to 2-5% outcrop and vegetation hiding even those from airphotos, the first day at Frying Pan Basin was Heaven. We finished with a big project at McCartney Mountain and some of us even sorted out the now infamous "Rat's Nest" to one degree or another. My wife and I married one month after I finished Field Camp and we've vacationed in Southwestern Montana regularly ever since.

Foy

#22 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,610 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 09 July 2020 - 11:19 AM

Foy, this is what we have, Frontiersman Bear Attack Deterrent. I remember last year, the 3 attacks along the Gravely Range Road.IMG_20200709_071549.jpeg IMG_20190923_111817.jpeg

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#23 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 09 July 2020 - 11:30 AM

As I have posted on a local FB group. Those of us that travel into Bear Country only on occasion... we should loan out and let others borrow our spray that we have purchased. It's not inexpensive to outfit a family or group of multiple people. Better it get used and save a friend or acquaintance than expire. Let them borrow... if needed great and if not it was not just sitting on a shelf. Just my .02

#24 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Buffalo Boulders

• Site Team
  • 6,118 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 09 July 2020 - 06:51 PM

As I have posted on a local FB group. Those of us that travel into Bear Country only on occasion... we should loan out and let others borrow our spray that we have purchased. It's not inexpensive to outfit a family or group of multiple people. Better it get used and save a friend or acquaintance than expire. Let them borrow... if needed great and if not it was not just sitting on a shelf. Just my .02

That's a great idea.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users