#21 melcooke

melcooke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Washington State

Posted 13 September 2020 - 11:41 PM

Big Steve, good info. I'd be interested to see pics of how you use the hitch tray and the ski bag. I've been wondering how to carry the skis. We often have two pair of downhill skis and two pair of nordic skis with us. 8 pairs of skis! I was thinking of trying to mount our Yakima roof box vertically on the back of the camper. This would take some clever engineering to make work me thinks.

We now live in the Methow Valley and do almost all of our skiing on the east side slopes where there is real powder :) Not the west side "powder" we have skied in a lot. Makes for less moisture for sure.

Had not even thought of the mud room idea, food for thought for sure.

What do you do with the ShamWow when it is wet other than wring it out.

#22 melcooke

melcooke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 11:52 PM

Why get the Yakima tracks?  Im actually getting them but wondering why you suggest they help with winter camping?  My plan is to use them to mount solar.

@Kolockum, thanks for the input.

Really, 3 days on the one 12v battery? Which forced air do you have. I've read a couple of threads where some people have both a forced air and a Wave 3 for their ATC.

We've ordered a second 12 v battery but we have not heard from ATC about starting our camper so it is not too late to re-think things. We are newbies to campers and have very little experience.

#23 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 14 September 2020 - 02:22 AM

@Kolockum, thanks for the input.

Really, 3 days on the one 12v battery? Which forced air do you have. I've read a couple of threads where some people have both a forced air and a Wave 3 for their ATC.

We've ordered a second 12 v battery but we have not heard from ATC about starting our camper so it is not too late to re-think things. We are newbies to campers and have very little experience.

Ah, Winthrop the land of the good snow. I spend most of my time slaying Olympic slush or the Cascade Concrete. But we normally get up to Mazama once a year and ski at Kangaroo Pass / Hairpin Corner. Amazing skiing.

I installed the Atwood Everest II 7900 I believe. But ATC are installing new and more space efficient units. Furnaces are really good at drying out the camper and gear but because our campers are not very well insulated (thermal pack will help a lot) there is a noticeable temperature swing and the furnace will kick on and off a lot. The wave heater helps mitigate this by providing a adjustable steady output of heat. The only down side is it emits CO2 and moisture into the camper so venting is a must. If I had a 8' camper instead of my 6' I would 100% install one.

If you get a furnace (I highly recommend you do) make sure the thermostat is within easy reaching distance of where you are sleeping. It is a lot easier to get out of the sleeping bag if the camper is warm. Or heck it is a small camper and easy to heat and I have been known to crank it to 90 degrees to get the wife out of her sleeping bag. 

We do not use much power. Mainly run the furnace for several hours a day (maybe 3 - 4 hours max), 2 led lights and maybe charge a cell phone here and there. Also when cooking dinner the stove will do a very good job of heating the camper.

We get out alot. It'd be fun to meet up with some other WTW skiers! 

We should organize a winter rally. (Not to hijack your thread)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#24 steve whiteside

steve whiteside

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Posted 14 September 2020 - 06:56 PM

Also not to highjack this thread but it would be cool to start a consolidated list of ski resorts and grade them WRT to overnight camping for small RV's.  For instance.  I would say,

------------

Mammoth:

Access. Campground in town (5 miles from slopes) at $60/night with full hookups.   No free overnight parking at resort nor near town.  Closest boondocks camping is 10 miles away.  Good access 15+ miles.

Best spot for overnight camping with distance:  25 miles?  Toms place- French Camp.  

https://www.recreati...pgrounds/232395

Anything special:  10-15 miles from town public hot springs on BLM grounds with some limited stand alone camping near hot springs.  

---------------

If anyone has other spots to add I could start a new thread.  If you've got a bunch of spots then you can start thee thread.  All I've got is Mammoth mountain.

Steve

2012 F350 4x4

2020 Grandby

#25 melcooke

melcooke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:42 PM

Also not to highjack this thread but it would be cool to start a consolidated list of ski resorts and grade them WRT to overnight camping for small RV's.  For instance.  I would say,

------------

Mammoth:

Access. Campground in town (5 miles from slopes) at $60/night with full hookups.   No free overnight parking at resort nor near town.  Closest boondocks camping is 10 miles away.  Good access 15+ miles.

Best spot for overnight camping with distance:  25 miles?  Toms place- French Camp.  

https://www.recreati...pgrounds/232395

Anything special:  10-15 miles from town public hot springs on BLM grounds with some limited stand alone camping near hot springs.  

---------------

If anyone has other spots to add I could start a new thread.  If you've got a bunch of spots then you can start thee thread.  All I've got is Mammoth mountain.

Steve

Steve, I would definitely be interested in such a thread. My recommendations would mostly be for WA state and BC.

#26 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 16 September 2020 - 03:32 PM

Also interested. Used to be you could park small RVs at the bottom of Canyon Lodge parking lot

(formerly Warming Hut 2, Mammoth Mtn), no hookups, be cool and you won’t be hassled. Same setup at A-Basin and Copper Mtn in Colorado. Ah, the good old days!?

Edited by Mighty Dodge Ram, 16 September 2020 - 03:33 PM.

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#27 Big Steve

Big Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 01:35 AM

Ah, Winthrop the land of the good snow. I spend most of my time slaying Olympic slush or the Cascade Concrete. But we normally get up to Mazama once a year and ski at Kangaroo Pass / Hairpin Corner. Amazing skiing.

We should organize a winter rally. (Not to hijack your thread)

Cool. We may have run into one another. Over the past 15 years, we have hit WA Pass tours in May and/or June nearly every year, usually camping at Klipchuck with friends. You may have seen our FWC Hawk parked at the hairpin when we do the Birthday Tour. 

It'd be fun to meet for a WTW ski jamboree!

I'm game to contribute to a thread re smaller camper parking opportunities at ski resorts. We prefer free or cheap camping and smaller resorts. Examples of PNW freebies (as of last season): Bluewood, Baker, Lookout Pass, Badger Mountain : ), Loup Loup SnoPark (very close to hill, WA SnoPark Pass required). White Pass was free (and a free-for-all hot mess) until 2019-20 season, now $15/night for small spaces. 

#28 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 04:49 PM

We have a Wilco Hitchswing and will probably use a Buzzrack with it (check on Amazon) for skiing. I don't want them inside and I don't want roof racks.

#29 Hoopy

Hoopy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Locationsouthern Wa

Posted 26 October 2020 - 04:55 AM

we drain and remove water pump in winter water is in jugs, we as well had a deck on our last FWC (in the hitch work perfect with broom to knock all snow off,reflextix under mattress and windows , sleep under down comforters no heat at nite. we have had two adults and two kids  plus dog in a fleet  in montana more people equal more humidity lots of wiping of moisture. I always have a means to get up and clear snow.   Large dumps of snow (while resort skiing ie heavy PNW snow) I will come down and sweep the roof  depending on snow fall.   this year we'll be in a hawk flatbed model. diesel heat for a change,  We will  see some changes in our set up and are excited WA plates say hello if you see us out there really enjoy the camping in winter and the sking.  alot of similarity's in our styles Big Steve !  Hope to see you out there                                  cheers Hoopy

#30 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 26 October 2020 - 07:25 PM

As usual this subject has brought lot's of good comments and suggestions, so let me add a new one the mix-what is your age :rolleyes:  during winter WTWing!  I have had my Granby( with an arctic pack)  for 15 years  and have spent many a cold snowy night camping in a range of temps and conditions.  I have always been one of those "cold nose warm toes types"-window flap near head open while bundled in a warm sleeping bag w/comforter. Okay, usual to bed routine, crack open the side and head windows  and turn up my issue  heater/furnace  full blast warm the place up & climb in the bag! Seldom   did I ever use the thermostat-too noisy and ate up the propane.

Okay over time like a lot of us here I added a wave heater for that long term warmth it added while doing things other than sleeping in the camper. Again like allot of us. most of my time out was spent outside not inside the camper (you don't go camping so you can sit inside and watch the tv-you play outside as long as you can and real glad I bought the awning)!  It seems that now that I'm getting older-I  seem to like it warm and spend less time playing in the snow and sitting around the campfire and more inside reading-I've become a wimp!! My old blast furnace has stopped working of late-sailor valve? But that new Wave 6-yes old one did not give out enough heat it seemed anymore-and the new one I bought has saved the day and kept me warm  at night as I read! 

I just spent a week up on the Sheldon NWR-.high country with above ave.hot days and nights in the low 20's-felt like the teens.  it seemed like it got dark early-no campfires allowed because of fire risk. so I spent allot of the time sitting near the Wave keeping warm and reading, but still had the windows cracked. In the early  morning had to get up and turn the heater on low and then climb back in the rack. I still have to get over my fear of leaving it on all night  and gassing my self-need to work on that!  One of these days might get the blaster fixed  and for me that should solve the problem-long time low heat with the wave, and short time instant heat.  Yep- that should do it-just got to remember to bring along the extra gas tank and hope summer comes back soon.

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users