• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 CoreyTrevor

CoreyTrevor

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • LocationEastern Sierra

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:59 PM

Another thing that's not really obvious that can make a huge difference in ride quality offroad is being able to disconnect swaybars. It makes a big difference in my 3rd gen 4runner in reducing the side-to-side neck-snapping flop when crossing a diagonal rut or driving in rocks, where tires are hitting rocks at different times.

It also lets the tires follow the terrain, rather than being prevented from articulating by the swaybar, and can get the truck through situations it won't make it through with the bar hooked up. It doesn't really help much on graded dirt roads, and can cost some stability at higher speeds.

My 3/4 ton Dodge has a huge front swaybar and it's brutal in rocks and uneven terrain. I haven't figured a disconnect for it yet, but it's obvious how much it will help.

2012 Eagle Shell on 2006 Dodge Quadcab CTD 4wd 6-speed

#22 SuperDutyFWC

SuperDutyFWC

• Gone Traveling
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 05:45 AM

Most "camper" packages add a sway bar, at least to the rear.  Almost all vehicles have some sort of sway bar in the front.  I'm actually considering removing the rear sway bar.  The camper isn't very heavy.

#23 CoreyTrevor

CoreyTrevor

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • LocationEastern Sierra

Posted 10 July 2020 - 06:59 PM

With the low COG of the FWC, I bet you wouldn't miss the rear bar at all. I removed the rear from my 4runner and couldn't really tell the difference when cornering hard.

My Dodge has only the front bar, and as stiff as it is I'm sure it will be fine with the camper without adding a rear bar. 

2012 Eagle Shell on 2006 Dodge Quadcab CTD 4wd 6-speed

#24 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:26 AM

I'd be careful about disconnecting the sway bars permanently.  Your on pavement handling will definitely be affected.

#25 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 11 July 2020 - 02:10 PM

I’d like to share my experience here. Our f250 6.2 gas is the extended cab 8 foot bed, it is the Lariat model and has a tow package. Our truck loaded is 9300 lbs. (gvwr is 10,000) we used it like that for a year and only when towing did the sagging become and issue. Mainly with the headlamps blinding oncoming traffic.
I installed the Helwig air bags. Usually run about 30psi.
What I noticed was the ride was nicer, handling was improved. We never had a rear sway bar on the truck. When I do tow I can level everything out, eliminating the headlamp issues. Maybe run around 40 psi depending on the load with the trailer.
I think the air suspension compliments the factory suspension. When you start lifting and changing wheels and tires, which will enhance off road travel. Pavement traveling is going to suffer hard to have it all.
I’d be willing to bet that manufacturers find a compromise to give people a ride they can tolerate and still be able to carry the load.
We have been happy with the air suspension and I do take the camper off at times so I like being able to lower the psi to 5.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#26 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 12 July 2020 - 08:20 PM

I too would be very careful about permanently disconnecting an OEM sway-bar. With a heavy load in the bed I would welcome a rear bar, like with our Chucara XL.

Most of the serious rock crawlers actually have sway-bars. They are a low roll spring rate, but they are there and are typically a version of Currie's "Anti-Rock". The point of them is to resist the side to side flop or 'rock', not increase cornering traction.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#27 bwag

bwag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 08:27 PM

I’ll be leaving the sway bar in place. No doubt a compromise cougarcouple. Im putting in a quality 2.5” suspension lift but going from an 18” wheel /33” tire to a 20” wheel / 35” tire. Not too big of a change but I’ll suffer a little I’m sure. Good to hear your report of air bags.

Edited by bwag, 12 July 2020 - 11:07 PM.

#28 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 13 July 2020 - 01:21 AM

Evening all
Not advocating the removal of any sway bar, or any OEM part for that matter,( except for maybe the running boards) my wife is barely five foot and ain’t getting no how without some sort of assistance. She did the Jeep thing with me and I fabed up a stirrup for her.

Sorry I digress, I was just sharing our rig and trying to provide my perspective on how it is to drive.
Factory front sway bar, rear never had rear one. Been on some rocky roads in Colorado ( the one to Animas forks from Silverton ) and was surprised at how well the truck did.

I don’t do enough hard trails to warrant a lift and bigger tires and all that goes along with that stuff. Not against them just not for me.

Hope this helps.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#29 bwag

bwag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 02:41 AM

Evening all
Not advocating the removal of any sway bar, or any OEM part for that matter,( except for maybe the running boards) my wife is barely five foot and ain’t getting no how without some sort of assistance. She did the Jeep thing with me and I fabed up a stirrup for her.
Sorry I digress, I was just sharing our rig and trying to provide my perspective on how it is to drive.
Factory front sway bar, rear never had rear one. Been on some rocky roads in Colorado ( the one to Animas forks from Silverton ) and was surprised at how well the truck did.
I don’t do enough hard trails to warrant a lift and bigger tires and all that goes along with that stuff. Not against them just not for me.
Hope this helps.
Russ

I took it just how you wrote it, I got the camper package so I guess it has a rear “stabilizer bar” along with a few other things. I don’t have much room to shame anyone on what they do to thier truck or how far they push it. I’d hate to see the numbers when my Tacoma was loaded with the camper and towing my jet sled....

#30 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 13 July 2020 - 12:49 PM

Be careful of too short of a sidewall off-road. Makes for sharper handling on-road, but that they're stiff means that they don't work as well off-road. We're currently running 315R17's on our CTD/Chucara XL and previously we ran 315R16's. When those tires wore out I changed the wheels to get a better offset only, was not specifically looking for a larger wheel diameter.

Thom

Where does that road go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users