• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#11 GeezerMike

GeezerMike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 07:18 PM

Really, back to the original question, 2000 lbs is a lot. That means extra people or stuff. The engine is not the problem; its payload. The old 3/4 tons and 1tons came with straight sixes - plenty powerful enough (with their gearing). My 3.6 Pentastar is WAY more powerful than my 1970 K5 350. Unless you are towing big loads or going 80mph with the camper, the 3.6 will do everything you want happily. Payload is the key. More payload means more camper options, more people, more stuff, even a boat/trailer. Less grief thinking about it. Future options.

#12 GeezerMike

GeezerMike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 07:25 PM

Just remember also … an expedition trailer can carry WAY more payload than any truck. Always an option vs a truck camper.

#13 GeezerMike

GeezerMike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 08:16 PM

One of my favorite discussions I saw was “Your next Last Camper!” The funny part was how everyone did so much research to find the “perfect” setup, and no one still had that setup.
You don't know what you need until you try and find out what you value. Your values will change.
Use what you have. Have fun. It takes lots of S’mores induced deep intellectual philosophical camper discussions to determine the “perfect last camper”. It’s a process. Can’t be rushed. You have options. Leave more stuff at home.

#14 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 12 September 2021 - 08:31 PM

IMHO I would have to agree with Stan that the Ram 1500 with the 3.6 Pentastar is not up to the task. The reason I’m saying that is that I have a 2020 Jeep Gladiator which has the 3.6 and the rear suspension from the RAM. I’m building this for a more off-road oriented long range overlanding vehicle but I am keeping a close eye on the weight of my additions. My goal is to keep it at or below 1000 pounds. The truck just doesn’t have the power or capacity to haul 2000 pounds or more regardless of what the door sticker says.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#15 michelle_east_county

michelle_east_county

Advanced Member

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 07:02 AM

Full-size half-ton pickups with a regular cab and whatever maximum payload (or if Ford, Camper Package, needed to not void warranty) can be around one ton of payload but must count the weight of you, your spouse, the dog, fuel, and things you pack, plus the "wet weight" of the camper. That'd require a camper much lighter than most. Get an extended or quad cab and the weight of either eats into cargo capacity even though different springs are used to compensate. If Ram, you're still getting rear coil springs if you go up to a 3/4-ton; only the 1-ton has rear leaf springs. Pros and cons to either, and shock valving should be different with each, as leaf springs are somewhat self-damping as they have greater resistance upon compression. Expect to play with different shocks more on anything with rear coils, though they can be sorted out. Ram factory air suspensions particularly help if you plan to take camper on and off, but do look complicated. If leaving camper on, it may be best to get firmer coils to compensate for camper, if needed, even on a 3/4.

Don't overload it. You might be OK but if there ever is an accident, there's always chance insurance or law enforcement might discover it and refuse a claim for the former and charge you with something for the latter.

The engine choice is the least of your problems, but loaded there might not be much difference in MPG with the 5.7. Do get adequately low (numerically high) axle (differential) ratio with either. And, limited slip differential is always a help unless you just stick to dry paved or good gravel roads. If unloaded and without it, you'd be amazed how easily traction is lost.

Edited by michelle_east_county, 13 September 2021 - 06:05 PM.

#16 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 17 September 2021 - 12:30 AM

Note that the camper weight rating is potentially lower than the payload rating. On my 2021 GMC 3500hd, the payload rating is 4,054 and the camper weight rating is 3,303 lbs. This is with the front camper springs option, which raises the front axle rating 400 lbs.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users