#11 Swaff1

Swaff1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationoHIo

Posted 10 August 2020 - 08:14 PM

Man right down the road from me!  Glad you got it!!

Whoever modified it made it look factory for sure.

Cool camper

#12 mdfcleveland

mdfcleveland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 11 August 2020 - 12:44 PM

I got my bed board glued and screwed in yesterday so that's a relief.  While I had it apart I also rebuilt the 2 upper storage areas while I could access them and made room for future electrical below.  For the storage area I used 1/2 Maple Plywood and stainless trim head screws.  For the bed board I used AB 3/4" Marine Plywood primed and painted with high quality exterior paint. I read several different write-ups on here about replacing the bed board and these are the steps I used. I split the old board down the center and removed it in 2 pieces. Cut the side boards up from the bottom to allow installation and sealant application of new board. I made sure all screws and staples were out of the way and cleaned the lip. Unscrewed the canvas down one side just enough to slip the board into its place and gently used a pryer to get it to drop in.  I cut the bed board 1/4" shorter in width than factory and sanded the edges slightly round to minimize the plywood blowing out when moving it into place. I used a ratchet strap to pull the side together into alignment and a good push from my hand while screwing it into place to make sure it was in position. It's not a tough job to do with all the info here.  Thanks everyone. 

-Matthew

IMG 4768
IMG 3170
IMG 2911
IMG 3890
IMG 0582
IMG 5233
IMG 8169

Edited by mdfcleveland, 11 August 2020 - 12:45 PM.

#13 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 11 August 2020 - 05:56 PM

looking good!

#14 mdfcleveland

mdfcleveland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 10:08 PM

Thanks Vic your camper looks great by the way! I was going through your thread about your roof insulation and headliner last night as I need to do something with mine since it just ridged foam at the moment.

looking good!

#15 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 11 August 2020 - 10:49 PM

Nice job.. half the fun is working on them!! 

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#16 mdfcleveland

mdfcleveland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 03:02 AM

I have made some good progress but ran into my first bit of badness.  The drain fitting for the water tank

split from the tank long ago and the repair that was made was not water tight so there is some rot under the tank.

Has anyone successfully repaired their water tank? What did you do, plastic weld, chemical weld, epoxy?

The failure looks like the fitting was welded to the tank from the factory because the other fittings look the same

but this plastic weld failed the fitting is still intact.  

#17 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 18 August 2020 - 05:02 AM

I have made some good progress but ran into my first bit of badness.  The drain fitting for the water tank

split from the tank long ago and the repair that was made was not water tight so there is some rot under the tank.

Has anyone successfully repaired their water tank? What did you do, plastic weld, chemical weld, epoxy?

The failure looks like the fitting was welded to the tank from the factory because the other fittings look the same

that sucks.  Not sure how well those can be repaired.  I have a 20Gal FWC supplied (new!) water tank that I ended up not using that i would love to send to you, but shipping would be horrendous though.

#18 mdfcleveland

mdfcleveland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 12:40 AM

that sucks.  Not sure how well those can be repaired.  I have a 20Gal FWC supplied (new!) water tank that I ended up not using that i would love to send to you, but shipping would be horrendous though.

Thanks Vic, for now we will finish the season off without a built in water tank.  Maybe I will try and patch it over the winter when I plan on redoing the interior.  Our goal this year is to just make it usable and it's close.  We are going to Utah for 2-3 weeks in October for rock climbing and exploring.  I'm sure we will have a few weekend trips into PA and WV as well.  I'm looking forward to the possibilities and getting my KTM mounted to the hitch carrier and doing some major exploring next season.        

#19 DownByTheRiver

DownByTheRiver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 03 September 2020 - 10:40 PM

There are companies that make custom sized water tanks. Might be worth emailed them some specs and a picture (if you still have the other tank) to show them what you're looking for and get a quote.

https://www.plastic-.../rv-water-tanks

The tag on our water tank (from a 1986 Keystone) had El Monte Plastics as the manufacturer. Looks like they shut down and this company bought them out, so perhaps they would also be worth an email: https://www.epi-roto.com/

#20 mdfcleveland

mdfcleveland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 01:41 AM

Thanks for the links and info.  I'll be looking into that over the winter.

There are companies that make custom sized water tanks. Might be worth emailed them some specs and a picture (if you still have the other tank) to show them what you're looking for and get a quote.

https://www.plastic-.../rv-water-tanks

The tag on our water tank (from a 1986 Keystone) had El Monte Plastics as the manufacturer. Looks like they shut down and this company bought them out, so perhaps they would also be worth an email: https://www.epi-roto.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users