• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#11 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 08 March 2007 - 05:35 PM

I had an awning on an old popup trailer that had a cord sewn into the back edge that slid into a track mounted along the top edge of the camper. I think the "bag" type awnings also use this mounting system. I found the tracks (see picture below) available here - http://www.rvworksho...rv-awnings.html

A homemade awning could be made using these tracks by sewing the appropriate size cord into one edge of a tarp. It seemed to hold very well against the camper and made a waterproof seal.

Also, the site above sells both the bag type awnings and a simple striped awning like what came on my old ~70s popup.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails

• awningrail.gif

#12 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 08 March 2007 - 07:04 PM

I normally use an E-Z UP shelter for my shade needs but I really like the idea of an awning over the door.

Here's one more option. I also seem to recall you canget them to do custom work too.

http://www.campingwo...g/skunum=20025d

#13 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:06 PM

Mark, which model Fiamma did you get?

Jim, you know the dimenisons on that track? Looks like I have one inch easy, and an inch and half if I was to go behind the doorframe. I like the idea of having it semi-permanently attached. Makes one side you won't have to worry about wind. And you just slide it on when you need it, it won't interfere with the door.

Ben/Marty, I assume there are no mounting issues. Looking at the frame photos it looks like you'd be mounting into a nice solid piece of the frame.

#14 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:14 PM

Craig,
Boy I don't remember how thick/tall that track was, it was a long time ago. I think it is about 1" tall. That site above sells it in 4 foot wide sectons at $4 each. You just add sections for the width of your awning.
Jim

#15 Mark

Mark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:02 PM

The FIAMMA F35 PRO 6foot.

#16 Brian

Brian

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 12:44 AM

Mark.....welcome and please let us know how that Fiamma works out I am definately leaning towards one.

Jim....thanks for the idea of the slide-in rack..that is just what I am looking for, for my rear awning...perfect!

Dave....I made my rear door awning to attach to the roof of the camper. That is the only way that I could see to have the door open without interference. I had a homemade roof rack with 3 j-bolts on each side of the rig and 3 on the back as well.....My awnings attached to those. I will now get some slide-in track and attach it to the rear roof edge and use that. It will eliminate wind blowing water off the roof and down the door. Cool!
One of my hesitations about using a real, aluminum enclosed awning is that it has to attach to the camper part....I am 6' 2" tall and I can envision some head boinking. After this last three months in the rig my head has dings all over it no matter how I wiggle and dance my way through the door.
Good luck,
Brian

#17 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 09 March 2007 - 05:44 AM

I was thinking about that. If its mounted just above the door then there will be issues about it hitting the door, or being so level that water will puddle.

#18 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 06:11 AM

Wow, lots of ideas.

I like the idea of easy setup and am thinking the rear door awning is really more important than the side. It has been raining a lot here in seattle, and I keep getting wet working in and on the camper.

I like that awning alumning track... I could see getting some nylon, rolling on a dowl, then getting it to run in that track. If I could only find some small, adjustable poles and could attach it to the backI could use it as a semi-permanent rear awning. Yes, the door might hit it but would beat being hit by all that rain.

Carefree makes a truck 'awn. It would work, big and bulky, though. I could see mounting some brackets on the camper (not the roof) and have it just behind and at or slightly above roof line. That way it won't go up with the top. Just that this method would be really convenient, but definitely much much more expensive......

Hmmmm. Anyone have any pictures of one they are using?

dave

#19 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:32 PM

I recall somewhere on this board that folks in rainy areas without any rear awning can get drenched from roof runoff trying to get in/out of the camper. The AC unit in my basement allows condensation to pool on the concrete floor since the concrete is just a little uneven. So, I redirected the flow with a bead of caulk. Then it occured to me that perhaps a bead of caulk along the roof runing the length of the door might direct that runoff off to the sides of the door instead of directly onto your head. Just a thought.

#20 Brian

Brian

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:52 PM

I was just up to Albuquerque and stopped by Vantastic to look and drool at all the cool rigs.....Sometimes I just can't hep it! I was talking to a sales guy there and he showed me the difference in the Fiamma 35 and 45.....also a difference of about 4 or 5 hunnerd dollars.....the 45 is all operated by an crank and you can just crank it out a couple of feet without doing anything with struts and poles and yadda,yadda....and there you are, out of the rain.
I'll make sure there is one of those on my "expedition rig" when I win the lottery! ;^))) Meanwhile I guess I'll shoot for the 35....Brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users