88 replies to this topic

#21 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:21 AM

Brian:

Did you take any photos?
I don't know of anyone that sells them here in seattle, so don't really get a chance to compare them. tell us more!

I am thinking Shady Boy as it is small, light and simple. KISS is always a good policy, especially when I run a 1/2 ton....

dave

#22 Brian

Brian

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:41 AM

Dave, no I didn't get any photos of it, sorry. I did however replace my digicam today and will post some photos of my rear homemade awning once I get it mounted in the next few days. I picked up a piece of awning track as was mentioned in this thread and now can go ahead......the only problem is time.....I currently have four motorcycles in the garage in various stages of waiting for parts, a friends bike here to replace tires on, the FWC project and myriad other things that build up while a guy is out traveling around.
More as it happens.....Brian

#23 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:44 AM

Brian,

That rear awning is what I am after. Getting tired of getting wet while taking off shoes and jackets standing at the back door. Sounds like your garage is a lot of fun!

Can't wait for pics...

dave

#24 mtbMike

mtbMike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 03:29 AM

I saw one of those new ones on an FWC at the show in Tacoma, WA a few months ago. The sales guy demo'd it for me. It's really an impressive gizmo. I'd like to put one on my rig but would have to move that rear clasp which kind of scares me.

Mike

#25 Hayduke

Hayduke

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast California

Posted 13 March 2007 - 03:53 PM

I ended up buying the shadyboy awning. I could have bought that F35 fiamma on ebay, but hesitated and Mark snagged it. No prob-the shady boy has a 50" case that mounts either permanently or on brackets for removal. Also, that case will mount easily between the lid latches. No need to move those. The thing folds out to 10' wide, which will cover the entire side of my camper. Also, the guy at countryhomescampers, who sells them, was very helpful. I haven't recieved it yet. Will let you know how it works.
hayduke

#26 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 04:29 PM

Hayduke:

Wow, that is so cool.
I would love to hear your report.
I have emailed Wolfgang at Shady Boy and we have been conversing. I am here in Seattle, and travel up to BC often. May just stop by and get one there next time I am up that way to check them out. However, your experiences, report, and pictures would really be great. Keep us posted. What color did you get?

Dave

#27 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:02 PM

The shadyboy looks interesting. Whats the price range on those? Also I wonder what happens when a big gust of wind comes along and hits it.

#28 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:44 PM

I wonder if something like this would be very useful.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagenameZWDVW

#29 Hayduke

Hayduke

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast California

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:36 PM

Dave, I got the silver one. This carries an additional price of $12, but that doesn't seem much for additional reflectivity. The awning should be here in a week or so. I'll make sure to post results. I don't have the photo thing wired yet on this site, so I'll be asking for help with posting photos on another thread.
These awnings do not require any poles to the ground. They have integral fiberglass poles that hold the awnings shape. You can use poles with them, but they come with lines that secure to vehicle to stabilize the wing in wind.
As with any awning, if the wind gets strong, there may be hell to pay for leaving an awning up attached to your vehicle. I don't plan on leaving the thing up if I'm away from my vehicle. The wind can come up quick out there (anywhere).
Thanks for all the input
Hayduke

#30 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 14 March 2007 - 02:57 AM

Hayduke,
I too am interested in hearing what you think when you get the shadyboy awning. I contacted them for the price and got a quote of $282.00 +$39.00(S&H) plus the $12 for the silver. Let us know your impressions when you get it as it is a good price for an awning of that size.

Plus if you used brackets to mount it you might be able to switch between the side and back depending on your need at the time.
Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users