• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#61 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 10 January 2021 - 03:18 PM

Anyone have experience with the Truma Combi. I’m thinking this might be a nice all-in-one package for heat and hot water. Supposed to be quiet!

The Truma Combi looks great, and I would like to replace my Attwood heater and water heater with this at some point.  A much more modern and efficient design than any of the US RV heaters. 

My issue is that it is not cheap, and are not sold to the end user in the US.   The only way to get them is from some guy selling grey market units, and these are specifically exempt from warranty and support from Truma.   It would be a lot of money to spend in an unsupported unit. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#62 Cummins_Expo

Cummins_Expo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationPrescott Arizona

Posted 10 January 2021 - 03:24 PM

This is very true in so many ways.  My buddy picked one up not knowing this.  We called Truma to order heater hose and a few other parts to complete his install.  Truma said sorry we cant help you because you are not an OEM and didn't buy from us.

hThe Truma Combi looks great, and I would like to replace my Attwood heater and water heater with this at some point.  A much more modern and efficient design than any of the US RV heaters. 

My issue is that it is not cheap, and are not sold to the end user in the US.   The only way to get them is from some guy selling grey market units, and these are specifically exempt from warranty and support from Truma.   It would be a lot of money to spend in an unsupported unit. 

365 Camper-  Prescott, AZ.    FWC repairs and Upgrades 

#63 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 10 January 2021 - 03:55 PM

My understanding is that you either have to buy parts from the guy selling the grey market heaters (who knows how long he will be around), from a European dealer, or pretend you have a Winnebago and buy from their parts department with a huge mark up. 

I may still make the switch at some point, particularly if more US manufacturers start using them.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#64 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 10 January 2021 - 04:55 PM

I assume FWC has looked into those and decided for some reason they don't pencil out. I doubt they'd be willing to give us their reasoning but I'd sure be curious about their thoughts. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#65 Mthomas

Mthomas

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNorth Tahoe

Posted 12 January 2021 - 01:22 AM

FWC did one custom install of this a few years ago. I saw a report by the purchaser, with no real discussion of the results, etc. I think on expedition portal. My recollection is that he sold the camper.  I do not think any of these rv type heaters are truly trouble free, all seem to be a series of compromises.

2018 Hawk FD 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD

#66 Hoopy

Hoopy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Locationsouthern Wa

Posted 12 January 2021 - 04:30 AM

Sorry for the late reply: if you plumb the diesel heater to warm outside air and open some vents, you basically vent all the excess moisture out of the camper. The Chinese diesel heaters don’t cycle on and off like the propane systems, they just run faster or slower, but keep running. It seems inefficient, but fuel use is reported as fairly low, about 500 ml a night. The couple that use the name grizzlynbear on there blogging have a video on this on you tube. They post occasionally on the Facebook four wheel camper group as well.

https://www.wanderth...l-heater-video/

Ive had the experience of both fleet factory install and I have installed a diesel heater in our Hawk FB.  The diesel has three options  run with thermostat. run with a count down timer. for exmple 8 hours.  or set it just to run low or medium or high.  i set it on low and it works well for us.uses minimal power less than .5 amp on low and on two bars less than one amp.  seems to sip the fuel as well.  Very pleased with it.  The propanes would rattle and hum we would be warm then shut down and we would get cold.   I  should quite whineng here.   having heat is a game changer !   hoop 

#67 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 04:46 AM

Ive had the experience of both fleet factory install and I have installed a diesel heater in our Hawk FB.  The diesel has three options  run with thermostat. run with a count down timer. for exmple 8 hours.  or set it just to run low or medium or high.  i set it on low and it works well for us.uses minimal power less than .5 amp on low and on two bars less than one amp.  seems to sip the fuel as well.  Very pleased with it.  The propanes would rattle and hum we would be warm then shut down and we would get cold.   I  should quite whineng here.   having heat is a game changer !   hoop 

Which one did you install? 

#68 anthonym

anthonym

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, UT

Posted 13 January 2021 - 01:05 AM

We've started looking into camper options and are particularly interested in being able to extend our comfortable camping season into the winter, whether to go skiing or (more likely) escape into the desert. Maybe we're just getting soft, but when the sun goes down at 5:00 PM and doesn't come up until 7:30 AM and temps get into the 20s or 30s (or lower), sitting outside or hanging out in the tent or Outback just isn't as fun.

I've seen a lot of comments on the forum and in this thread about poor insulation and condensation issues in pop-ups, although other comments also speak to it being manageable and I've certainly seen plenty of pictures of FWC and other campers in the snow.

Are pop-ups of any variety just a bad idea for cold weather? Or should I read the posts in here more as describing the realities/trade-offs and how to manage them?

(Long time reader, new poster. Thanks everyone for all the resources shared in the forum.)

#69 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 04:25 AM

Welcome! You’re probably better off starting a new thread. You’ll get more eyes that way as my thread has been open for a while. Good luck!

BTW, we’ve spent multiple nights in the teens and low twenties and regularly pop the top at the ski area. I see a little condensation, but not much. That’s not a function of the pop-top. Efficiency is though. Something like a Bigfoot or a Lance will be easier to heat and cool, but will have more wind drag, be less agile and won’t fit into a garage. Only you can decide what trade offs are worth it.

#70 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,598 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 13 January 2021 - 02:33 PM

We've started looking into camper options and are particularly interested in being able to extend our comfortable camping season into the winter, whether to go skiing or (more likely) escape into the desert. Maybe we're just getting soft, but when the sun goes down at 5:00 PM and doesn't come up until 7:30 AM and temps get into the 20s or 30s (or lower), sitting outside or hanging out in the tent or Outback just isn't as fun.

I've seen a lot of comments on the forum and in this thread about poor insulation and condensation issues in pop-ups, although other comments also speak to it being manageable and I've certainly seen plenty of pictures of FWC and other campers in the snow.

Are pop-ups of any variety just a bad idea for cold weather? Or should I read the posts in here more as describing the realities/trade-offs and how to manage them?

(Long time reader, new poster. Thanks everyone for all the resources shared in the forum.)

Hi Anthony,

Welcome to WTW.  As you noted, managing condensation is a much discussed topic in pop up campers, actually in all campers to varying degrees.  There are lots of threads, with lots of good suggestions.  In the end, it comes down to what do you want to do with your camper, and how much are you willing to do to be able to camp comfortably and to keep your camper in good condition.

I recommend you peruse the threads on the various campers, and reach out to some of the owners to get their feedback on what works for them, and what they would do differently.  One theme you’ll hear is dry heat and good ventilation is key. 

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users