• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#11 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 14 November 2020 - 08:50 PM

NM has a two week quarantine and the Governor just increased the restrictions. I've been on a 3 week road trip from NM to Texas. I wanted to vote in person, and see all my doctors in Houston. So I made a FWC road trip out of it. I spent a week in Guadalupe Mts National Park, then headed south. I packed two weeks of food, so after feeling real safe at my medical appointments, camping on the beach near Surfside, TX, Brazios Bends S.P., a RV Park in Houston and stopped in Kerrville, TX to resupply. That was the only time I felt unsafe. Even though the store had a sign requiring masks and social distancing, the store was very crowded, only social distancing at the register and lots of maskless people. On the other hand, everyone I met in the national park, whether in the parking lot or on the trail practiced social distancing, stepping well off the trail to let people pass and many were masked.

I think that the bureaucrats really don't know how were operate in the back country, so they make sweeping rules. I was planning to stay out one more week, but have decide to head back to my motorhome, before I run out of my meds. I brought a month's supply and although I won't have any problem now crossing the border back to NM, I worry that might change and my Texas plates might cause a problem. I planned to hunker down, but continue to take the Hawk into the NM backcountry as much as possible. The NM state parks are closed to out of state residents.

Be safe

Mask up, social distance and seek solitude where you find it

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#12 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,395 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 16 November 2020 - 12:28 AM

California, Oregon & Washington Issue Travel Advisories

Published:

Nov 13, 2020

In light of rising cases, West Coast states issue travel advisories recommending 14-day quarantines for inter-state and international travel; ask residents to stay local

SACRAMENTO – As COVID-19 cases continue to increase across the country, California Governor Gavin Newsom, Oregon Governor Kate Brown and Washington Governor Jay Inslee issued travel advisories today urging visitors entering their states or returning home from travel outside these states to self-quarantine to slow the spread of the virus. The travel advisories urge against non-essential out-of-state travel, ask people to self-quarantine for 14 days after arriving from another state or country and encourage residents to stay local.

“California just surpassed a sobering threshold – one million COVID-19 cases – with no signs of the virus slowing down,” said California Governor Gavin Newsom. “Increased cases are adding pressure on our hospital systems and threatening the lives of seniors, essential workers and vulnerable Californians. Travel increases the risk of spreading COVID-19, and we must all collectively increase our efforts at this time to keep the virus at bay and save lives.”

In addition to urging individuals arriving from other states or countries to self-quarantine for 14 days after arrival, the states’ travel advisories recommend individuals limit their interactions to their immediate household. The advisories define essential travel as travel for work and study, critical infrastructure support, economic services and supply chains, health, immediate medical care and safety and security.

“COVID-19 does not stop at state lines. As hospitals across the West are stretched to capacity, we must take steps to ensure travelers are not bringing this disease home with them,” said Oregon Governor Kate Brown. “If you do not need to travel, you shouldn’t. This will be hard, especially with Thanksgiving around the corner. But the best way to keep your family safe is to stay close to home.”

“COVID cases have doubled in Washington over the past two weeks. This puts our state in as dangerous a position today as we were in March,” said Washington Governor Jay Inslee. “Limiting and reducing travel is one way to reduce the further spread of the disease. I am happy to partner with California and Oregon in this effort to help protect lives up and down the West Coast.”

To learn more about the risk that travel itself poses for COVID-19 exposure, please visit the CDC page on travel risks.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#13 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,035 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 16 November 2020 - 04:11 AM

Interesting report on the marines. https://www.cidrap.u...pite-quarantine

I take precautions, wear my mask and have enough hand sanitizer to supply a small country. I'd still consider myself in the moderate level precaution wise. I socialize just within a small circle. I don't wear gloves. I kind of figured the odds I've been exposed were pretty high. Feeling well and healthy and being a long time blood donor I donated again recently. They now do an antibody test routinely. My results came back negative. So are my precautions adequate or am I just lucky. I wish I knew. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#14 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 04:42 AM

Interesting report on the marines. https://www.cidrap.u...pite-quarantine

I take precautions, wear my mask and have enough hand sanitizer to supply a small country. I'd still consider myself in the moderate level precaution wise. I socialize just within a small circle. I don't wear gloves. I kind of figured the odds I've been exposed were pretty high. Feeling well and healthy and being a long time blood donor I donated again recently. They now do an antibody test routinely. My results came back negative. So are my precautions adequate or am I just lucky. I wish I knew. 

Our whole staff was been exposed 10 weeks ago. We all tested negative (unlikely to get all false negatives, so I feel confident in the results). Our masking and hygiene routine seems to be working. I have NO doubt there have been others in the office who were asymptomatic that we just don't know about.  

The thing that chaps my hindquarters is that if everyone did very simple things (act like you're a zombie and assume everyone else is too) we wouldn't be facing yet another round of these types of moves to control the spread. 

The Marine study is interesting. According to the original article, multiple recruits were infected on Day Zero. Two specific recruits were tied to the two biggest clusters via sequencing. You could conclude that the virus spread in spite of quarantine measures, or that not all recruits did their pre-camp quarantine properly. If the latter is the case and they started the two biggest clusters, they likely didn't follow the protocol once in camp either. 

As for gloves, they're no different than bare hands. They still need to be washed, disinfected or changed frequently or the risks of spread are the same as ungloved. They are a plus/minus. They may reduce face touching via increased awareness, but they also disincentivize hand hygiene due to overconfidence.  

Edited by eyemgh, 16 November 2020 - 05:14 AM.

#15 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 16 November 2020 - 05:30 PM

As for gloves, they're no different than bare hands. They still need to be washed, disinfected or changed frequently or the risks of spread are the same as ungloved. They are a plus/minus. They may reduce face touching via increased awareness, but they also disincentivize hand hygiene due to overconfidence.  

This is very good advice. I don't think most people that wear nitrile or latex gloves follow proper glove protocols. My method stems from extensive training, including annual refresher courses, before working for many years in the hazardous waste cleanup world. Gloves, once put on your hands, should be viewed as direct and immediate hazard sources. There is a proper technique to wearing them, and most important, how to remove them and safely discard them. As eyemgh says, before peeling them off, gloves should be disinfected, just like bare hands. 

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#16 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,035 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 16 November 2020 - 08:57 PM

Wow, Governor Newsome just said they're "considering" a curfew. Might be good I got back when I did.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#17 PJorgen

PJorgen

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 17 November 2020 - 01:23 AM

This sh!t is getting serious now!  Our local hospital in Reno has converted two floors of the parking garage to accommodate COVID-19 patients:

https://www.rgj.com/...age/6318401002/

I was planning on hauling my racecar down to Buttonwillow for an event later this week but cancelled.  We live on 40 acres north of Reno and plan to just hunker down and try to stay safe.

2014 Hawk, Silver Spur exterior on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4x4.

#18 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 17 November 2020 - 02:30 PM

I mask and glove up not so much for just myself, but to make sure I don't accidentally kill anyone else.

I wear seat belts. I obey traffic laws. Heck, I even wear pants in public. Each  of these take some of my freedoms away. And if a store or service provider asks me to wear a mask before entering their premises, I respect their right to set those conditions and I comply.

Freedom is a relative condition. And politics has nothing to do with my freedom. Nor do I know of a single politician, whose lifeblood is always public approval, that has gained popular approval because they have locked down their jurisdictions.

So, I hope you all mask up and practice social distancing. If not for yourself, do it for the sake of other people.

Edited by AWG_Pics, 17 November 2020 - 02:31 PM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#19 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 03:54 PM

I mask and glove up not so much for just myself, but to make sure I don't accidentally kill anyone else.

I wear seat belts. I obey traffic laws. Heck, I even wear pants in public. Each  of these take some of my freedoms away. And if a store or service provider asks me to wear a mask before entering their premises, I respect their right to set those conditions and I comply.

Freedom is a relative condition. And politics has nothing to do with my freedom. Nor do I know of a single politician, whose lifeblood is always public approval, that has gained popular approval because they have locked down their jurisdictions.

So, I hope you all mask up and practice social distancing. If not for yourself, do it for the sake of other people.

Well said. Vaccine or no vaccine, these will be very important behaviors in the foreseeable future not only for public health but for consumer confidence. 

#20 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 07 January 2021 - 09:55 PM

A mask must be worn properly to be really effective.  Unfortunately, few masks of the type commonly in public hands do much.  If one has ever done surgery, then he or she knows it is difficult to wear a mask so it seals the top against leaks that fog glasses.  As and example, a surgeon's mask will likely be taped down or sealed in one of several ways so they can see to do their surgery.  Ordinary lay people will not do this, even if they know how.

This is serious business.  Talk to a doc who runs an emergency room and they will report there are so many COVID-19 related deaths that they become numb to the human tole.  So, what is the answer?  

Should one leave it to the a Governor's mandates, which in some cases are wrong, and in other cases helpful?  Anyway, this is not enough.  It is important to take responsibility for one's own safety.  Know this is complicated and varies depending on the actual risk which varies widely from zero to deadly depending on the environment.  Study ways to protect yourself and do it!  Try to avoid infecting others.  By the time this is sorted out, many thousands will be dead from the COVID-19 virus.  Be one that survives.

John D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users