81 replies to this topic

#51 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 25 November 2020 - 05:22 PM

Just called PKYS and talked to Peter their tech person.  The Victron controller only kicks in at 5 volts above the battery voltage.  Zamps are rated at 18 volts.  He also said the even at 19 volts [14+5] the MPPT would not optimize the amperage going into the battery, "Sweet Spot", it needs higher voltages.  Even if you put panels in series to increase the voltage the MPPT with differing size panels the controller will not optimizer the power going into the batteries as it searches for best input or so-called Sweet Spot.

So the conundrum; with the Victron controller the optimal way to derive the benefit of the MPPT is to be using one panel of sufficient voltage to trigger the controller and give the optimal battery power input.

For me, whether I add another Zamp panel [90w] or not the MPPT is not going to give me a higher input of power to the batteries than my current Zamp PWM controller will provide.  Too bad the partial shading of the panels to a degree is compensated for by a MPPT controller search/optimizing available power input to the batteries.

Solution:  Add a higher out-put voltage single panel and then install the MPPT to optimize the power going into the batteries for a given size [Watts] panel.   Currently no single large panel will fit on the roof of my Hawk.

I must be over thinking this and chasing my tail.  PWM + another 90 w Zamp and keeping to 18 volt output is realistically my sole option.  I simply do not have the roof space between, in-front of or behind the two roof vents for a single large [watts] panel.

Will buy the Victron battery monitor and perhaps go to LiPo4 batteries in the future.

If some of this is inaccurate, please chime in and clarify.  I am still in my learning curve and the slope is steep!

Interesting that FWC does not offer dual roof mounted panels or a single high output panel; now that they are using the Victron Solar Smart MPPT controller.  Wonder what the specs are on the current portable plug in panel?  Assume it is also an Overland Sunpower panel

Thanks All,

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 25 November 2020 - 05:29 PM.

#52 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 412 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 25 November 2020 - 07:31 PM

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out panel placement on our Fleet. You should be able to mount a single large panel on the front passenger side of the Hawk, running lengthwise. You have about 40" width by the length of the roof. You can then go to a 24 V panel (and maybe 500 W to boot).

There is also room for two narrow flexible panels on each side of the front vent, if you are up for working with flexible panels.

2015 Fleet on 2019 Ranger

#53 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 25 November 2020 - 08:56 PM

Jack, thanks.  By "on the front passenger side", do you mean the vertical sidewall below the roof or along the passenger side of the roof?  Not sold on flexible panels due to installation.

My existing Zamp 160 sits between the two roof vents and goes from rail to rail [58+"]; panel is 26" wide.  So no further space on roof for large panel and Zamp seems to be the only company with a narrow and long [58"] panel.

Max space between vents is 38 inches and like explained only 22" of usable rail aft of the rear vent.

FWC did not answer my request for information concerning utilizing current production Overland panels, controller and portable.  

All the Canadian Solar [China], that Vic told us about, only have panels way too large [L&W] for the Hawk with 2 vent and with FWC rail placement.

No bigee..I will figure it out.

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 25 November 2020 - 08:59 PM.

#54 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 412 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 25 November 2020 - 09:42 PM

You might need the longer bars, but the frame should raise the panel above the Yakima towers. When lifting the roof, the weight will be off center, but no heavier.

CCF20201125_00000.jpg

2015 Fleet on 2019 Ranger

#55 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,615 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:12 PM

The Overland Solar 160 watt flexible panel that FWC uses now is rated at 32.76 volts. Paired with their house branded Victron MPPT charge controller, their system apparently works well. Their panel uses the Maxeon III 23.7% efficient cells and are internally wired such that some shading does not totally stop all solar energy.

I’m considering their solar blanket using the Maxeon III cells with as a portable unit.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#56 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:20 PM

Jack...nice view of the panel mount! 

My parameters are not to drill any holes in my single sheet FWC roof and to overload the roof with additional weight beyond my ability to grunt it up and safely lower it.  Stouter lifter 'shocks' may be needed.

May have a pretty good solution to mounting a second panel to my roof; using these towers with 3m adhesive tape, https://amsolar.com/...g-accessories.  Solid mounts and can be removed without damaging roof or any drilling.

This should enable me to go larger that 90ws for second panel aft of rear vent.

Still discussing all this with folks at AM Solar here in Springfield, Oregon.  FYI they use Zamp panels and Victron Controllers; will discuss this with them after T-Day.  They seem to have their stuff together and be professional.

Phil

#57 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,615 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:24 PM

+1 on AmSolar

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#58 wicked1

wicked1

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:29 PM

The Overland Solar 160 watt flexible panel that FWC uses now is rated at 32.76 volts. Paired with their house branded Victron MPPT charge controller, their system apparently works well. Their panel uses the Maxeon III 23.7% efficient cells and are internally wired such that some shading does not totally stop all solar energy.

I’m considering their solar blanket using the Maxeon III cells with as a portable unit.

Paul

about their portable "bugout 130" panel, it operates at a lower voltage, more similar to the Zamp panels.   So, if you have the Overland 160 panel on the roof, the Overland Bugout 130 panel is a problem, as it operates at about 10v lower voltage than the 160 panel. 

So basically, plug in the 130, you sacrifice 50ish watts of power, for the purpose of adding a bit over 100 watts of power.  Sort of making your 130w portable panel a 65w panel.

#59 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:46 PM

See mounting tower information and instructions below..seems like a winner...

More and more leaning toward staying with existing Zamp 160w roof and 80w portable and adding another Zamp panel; with these towers I am looking at the GS 200w panel [see below] on AM Solar products page but it has an output voltage of 20.4v as opposed to other Zamps 18 volts....dimensionally it would fit aft of rear vent.

Will the differential of 20+volts vs 18volts be a no-go?

Still in the hunt for Victron controller and monitor....hey, in a penny in a pound!   Next year LiPo4s?

Had a light bulb moment; I can't exceed the height of my current 160W panel on the roof by more that 1/2inch and still get the Tundra/Hawk through my shop door...those towers have differing height legs..

Phil

https://amsolar.com/...ctions/edmounts

https://amsolar.com/...s/11s-tlt-gs200

Edited by Wallowa, 25 November 2020 - 10:53 PM.

#60 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,989 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 25 November 2020 - 11:27 PM

Phil, I'm confused when you say only a 58" long panel will fit.  The panel does not have to fit within the rails.  It just has to be narrower than the width of your Hawk, which is 84", is it not?  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users