38 replies to this topic

#21 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 24 November 2020 - 06:53 PM

I have one of the 26” D handle shovels. It lives outside the camper in the truck bed near the wheel well. I access it thru the driver side turnbuckle door. Not as convenient as mounted on the rear of the camper but out of most of the weather and all of the road grime that covers everything on the rear of the camper. 

I purchased it decades ago on being told that Oregon law required back country travelers to carry at least a 26” shovel, an axe, & a bucket for fighting fires while camping.  After this thread started, I tried, unsuccessfully, to find that law. It appears that now, only those working in the woods need to carry a minimal set of fire fighting tools including a pulaski axe.

Paul 

I thought getting old would take longer.

#22 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:08 PM

Come to think of it I carry a Pulaski axe too! (Maybe this is why I'm close to maxing out my 11,000# GVWR!)

#23 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 25 November 2020 - 01:56 AM

The other side of this - I cannot count the number of times we have returned to our truck at a trailhead, etc., and found a note saying, "We used your shovel, we put it back, thanks so much for having a shovel!" And several times the note included, "And thank god you had one to use!"

Now that’s very interesting..

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#24 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 25 November 2020 - 04:31 PM

I have one of the 26” D handle shovels. It lives outside the camper in the truck bed near the wheel well. I access it thru the driver side turnbuckle door. Not as convenient as mounted on the rear of the camper but out of most of the weather and all of the road grime that covers everything on the rear of the camper. 

I purchased it decades ago on being told that Oregon law required back country travelers to carry at least a 26” shovel, an axe, & a bucket for fighting fires while camping.  After this thread started, I tried, unsuccessfully, to find that law. It appears that now, only those working in the woods need to carry a minimal set of fire fighting tools including a pulaski axe.

Paul 

Law or not it just makes sense to have those items, especially if a person is going to have a campfire.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#25 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 25 November 2020 - 05:01 PM

Paul 

Near our new home, there is a public road that transits private property. I am told the property owner has posted a sign that says people using the road should carry a shovel, several gallons of water, and be prepared to fight a fire.  Not unreasonable.

I am haunted by waters

#26 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 25 November 2020 - 05:26 PM

Not at all and it makes me think I need a new shovel for the Jeep. I sometimes carry a full size shovel in the Jeep but the only way to do it is to carry it vertically and that tends to snag trees and such. A folding shovel that can stay in the Jeep full time would be a better idea.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#27 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 26 November 2020 - 12:58 AM

We carry an avalanche snow shovel  (used in our glacier climbing days). I gotta admit it's probably too wimpy for anything serious, and ain't shaped right for digging in the desert. So far we've not used it though. It'd be ok for sand. And the handle is removable, the whole thing is light weight (aluminum). The short handle will probably ruin my back if I ever use it!

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#28 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 26 November 2020 - 03:37 PM

"That said, I wouldn’t want to do a lot of work with it.  For real work, a full size shovel strapped to the Yakima bars is my preference."

Probably true but don't forget that a lot of "real work" was accomplished during WWII, the Korean conflict, Vietnam, etc. with small folding military shovels  :) 

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#29 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 26 November 2020 - 04:38 PM

"That said, I wouldn’t want to do a lot of work with it.  For real work, a full size shovel strapped to the Yakima bars is my preference."

Probably true but don't forget that a lot of "real work" was accomplished during WWII, the Korean conflict, Vietnam, etc. with small folding military shovels  :) 

For those times when exposed body parts could lead to a non habit forming experience.   

Besides, they were young, with strong backs.  We should all be thankful for their sacrifices.

I am haunted by waters

#30 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 27 November 2020 - 12:20 PM

this is an interesting thread.

I have an old military entrenching tool, I rarely use it and would hate to do any real digging with it.

The Eastwing rock pick looks interesting, and I may need to get one for at home.

Durango1 mentions carrying a Pulaski axe, I have never used one, how well do they work as an axe and as a pick?

What do people think of a Mcleod tool/fire rake? My thought is If it is softer dirt under a truck its easier to drag it out than to shovel it.

I too have a habit of carrying more tools than I could use.

PaulT   "a minimal set of fire fighting tools including a pulaski axe."

What does that consist of? 

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users