23 replies to this topic

#11 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,980 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 10 December 2020 - 04:51 AM

Things are tightening up here on the East Coast as well with NC and VA  tightening restrictions.

We have postponed any overlanding trips until at least the spring as we have added incentive to stay healthy....

We just welcomed our first granddaughter into the world last week and have promised to remain as isolated as possible between visits to minimize any chance of contamination.

On the good news side I heard today that Canada has approved the vaccine in their country so assuming that we get approval maybe as soon as this weekend we all might ba able to travel freely by this summer...

Canada approved the Pfizer vaccine.  Estimates are that we won't have vaccinated everyone until September of 2021.  Plus there are folks who don't plan to get vaccinated.  The future looks to remain weird for a while longer.... 

#12 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,026 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 10 December 2020 - 05:12 AM

When I retired earlier this year I had grand plans for some lengthy trips. Looks like its still going to be short trips and those as conditions allow. I have hopes a february Mojave trip will happen. We'll see. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#13 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 11 December 2020 - 01:02 AM

I’m not personally worried about going to a grocery store or camping, these wouldn’t be my reasons for not leaving home, but i wouldn’t go for PVSTOY’s other reason, an accident or other health issue, with hospitals filling up.

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

#14 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 11 December 2020 - 01:12 PM

In case you missed it the Pfizer vaccine was approved by the FDA yesterday in the US. Due to the cold chain requirements the initial roll out will be to facilities that can maintain the proper temperature. Specifically it will probably be medium to larger hospitals that will be able to inoculate their medical staff and others in the highest risk group.

The Moderna vaccine is scheduled to be heard by the FDA on the 17th and their vaccine will be easier to distribute to a larger general population due to their less stringent cold chain requirements.

Let’s keep our fingers crossed.....

Edited by smlobx, 11 December 2020 - 01:16 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#15 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,026 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 11 December 2020 - 05:57 PM

The vaccine can't come too soon. Trying to balance the risk of the virus vs. the need to support my dad while he cares for my mom. As soon as Kaiser tells me its my turn I'll be there. Being able to travel again will just be a bonus. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#16 OutToLunch

OutToLunch

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 06:48 PM

The US has contracted with Pfizer for one hundred million doses.  As one has to take two doses to become vaccinated, that means Pfizer vaccine is good for fifty million people max.  As the federal government passed on ordering more doses from Pfizer, Pfizer has already been contracted by other countries for future production.   

It will be a long road to “normalcy”.

Like craig333, I retired this year.  Was considering a January road trip across the US to visit my sisters in Pennsylvania, but that will not be happening next year.

Edited by OutToLunch, 11 December 2020 - 06:49 PM.

#17 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 11 December 2020 - 07:18 PM

Don’t count on a return to normalcy any year soon. Too many government entities have grown drunk on their new powers to voluntarily return to normal too soon.  The Lord Acton quote that “Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.” , would suggest the power to determine our travels, eating acommendations, getting together, working to earn a living, is likely a very addictive drug. 

Even Fauci has suggested that the vaccine really won’t fix things such that we can assume control of our own lives again.  

If you’re not familar with Cloward & Piven, it may be useful to look them up.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#18 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 11 December 2020 - 07:58 PM

The pandemic is certainly changing society. Like other major world calamities (Black Death, French Revolution, WWI, WWII) the outcomes and changes are beyond the ken of even the most brilliant thinkers. Humans have a ridiculously bad track record at predicting the future accurately, nevertheless we are planning at least three, maybe four, trips for 2021. Time will tell how wrong we will be, but we remain hopeful.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#19 Occidental

Occidental

• Members
  • 366 posts
  • LocationHome is where you park it

Posted 12 December 2020 - 11:07 PM

We just returned (2 weeks ago) from a trip similar to the one you had planned to the southwest. We only went inside to grocery stores in our 3 weeks out. We originally planned a trip to baja but cancelled. It was definitely less exposure than staying home and working, no question. We stay extra cautious but there are always a few people not wearing masks. The thing I still don't understand is the group with two people wearing masks and one without.

2020 Ford Ranger, 2012 Eagle

http://www.occidentalist.org

#20 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 13 December 2020 - 01:04 AM

The thing I still don't understand is the group with two people wearing masks and one without.

Not hard to understand.  Some folks have a false sense of security.*

Paul

*Which is left as an exercise for the reader. :rolleyes:

I thought getting old would take longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users