Couple things I noticed at 5 degrees F.

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#31 muttmaster

muttmaster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 07:10 PM

Rando, I looked into splice in shut off valve in outside shower line but there is just no room in my Grandby. Short of taking the cabinet apart to even access the short hose, there isn’t enough space for a valve inline. If someone had a solution, I do it right away. It is the only weak point I worry about besides the main tank drain line. (Just had another look, looks like I should be able to take my sink off and then plug off the hot and cold line going to the shower, but that may be too much trouble. Two shut offs would be much easier.) I can’t access that line easily either to put in a valve inside. I think 4WC should built in shutoff valves at these two lines in the future to prevent damage.

Edited by muttmaster, 22 December 2020 - 07:50 PM.

#32 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 22 December 2020 - 07:13 PM

Dang...thanks to all for the input...lots of pearls of wisdom I would never have thought of...and put me in the "better safe than sorry" column.

Everyone have a great Christmas and New Year.... :D

Phil

#33 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 22 December 2020 - 07:21 PM

Rando, I looked into splice in shut off valve in outside shower line but there is just no room in my Grandby. Short of taking the cabinet apart to even access the short hose, there isn’t enough space for a valve inline. If someone had a solution, I do it right away. It is the only weak point I worry about besides the main tank drain line. I can’t access that line easily either to put in a valve inside. I think 4WC should built in shutoff valves at these two lines in the future to prevent damage.

On my flatbed there is space for the valves in the small cupboard above the furnace.  I added some push to connect valves to the pex run there.    With those valves shut off, all the water system is contained within just one cabinet, that also contains the water heater.   The water heater provides enough heat to keep this cabinet well above freezing.    As for the drain line - I am sure mine has frozen particularly as I added a metal drain valve, but the tube is flexible braided tubing and is stretchy enough not to mind. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#34 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 22 December 2020 - 07:22 PM

Blowing out water lines...I have the screw on cap with the compressed air valve that attaches to my Hawk exterior water line fill fixture....

I assume you open drain on back wall of camper, open sink faucets, open exterior shower valve, open hot water tank drain into main water tank...before putting an air line on the screwed on cap..

Does this sound correct?  Any tips?

Thanks...Phil 

#35 muttmaster

muttmaster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 07:30 PM

Sounds right. I usually drain everything first and then open one thing at a time to blow out, and screw out pump filter too to dump water out. Best tip I learned was to use psi regulator, dialed down below 45 psi or so to prevent blowing out fittings.

Edited by muttmaster, 22 December 2020 - 07:55 PM.

#36 steve whiteside

steve whiteside

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Posted 06 February 2021 - 03:07 PM

I just got back from mammoth Mtn here in CA where I camped in a blizzard for 3 days and then an additional 4 days of cold.  Overnight I was seeing outside temps down to 5-10F and one night at -1F.  I run a Goal zero Li battery pack which is exposed to the outer wall of my 2020 Grandby.  I wrapped it in a sleeping bag and left the inside heater on low.  The heater would kick on at ~37F and kick off at ~57F.propane.  A single tank of propane lasted 6 days using the heater and occasional stove use.  I took your advice and drained the water system.  I used external jugs for water and had to manage keeping the ones in my truck back seat un frozen.  All in all it worked out well.  Ended up with 2-3ft of snow on the ground.  I was prepared to rake the snow off of my roof however the high winds kept the snow from accumulating.  

Steve

2012 F350 4x4

2020 Grandby

#37 steve whiteside

steve whiteside

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Posted 06 February 2021 - 03:25 PM

IMG 0501
IMG 0512
IMG 0516
IMG 0534
IMG 0550
IMG 0552
IMG 0559
IMG 0566
IMG 0580
IMG 0583

2012 F350 4x4

2020 Grandby

#38 steve whiteside

steve whiteside

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Posted 06 February 2021 - 03:36 PM

not sure how to make those gallery images bigger than thumbnails.

Steve

2012 F350 4x4

2020 Grandby

#39 muttmaster

muttmaster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 04:00 PM

Glad you survived a genuine blizzard and was well prepared for it. But, I have to say that was not very wise. I understand the need to get out of the city and soaking in hot springs, but you knew the blizzard was coming and risked being out there. Not so much fun stuck in camper for three days wasn’t it. I am not impressed. Sorry for being critical, but I have being on many SAR missions in the winter in the past to find people who should of known better.

#40 patrkbukly

patrkbukly

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationFairplay, CO

Posted 06 February 2021 - 04:33 PM

Sounds like you did well in the Granby (i think granby) Steve. 
Which thermostat do you have?

6 days from one propane tank means you went through a lot of fuel but if you slept well and got through it all fine sounds like things worked as they should. 

also im curious as a comparison to what mine does in similar conditions...how often would you say the furnace cycled on and off in that 37 to 57 range you stayed in?

Nice setup and rig by the way. I like the FWC’s in black. I think that was a smart move on their part.

patrick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users