12 replies to this topic

#1 Geologist

Geologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationColoma, California

Posted 11 January 2021 - 05:08 AM

Hi everyone... I am adding a 2m radio to my truck (Yaesu FT-2980-R). Because I have a 4WC on the truck full time, the center of the roof is not available. My question is, how badly will the camper interfere with transmission and reception if I mount the antenna at the approximate location of the red arrow in the photos? Any suggestions on what is the best mounting location, and/or what is an optimal antenna for my setup? Thinking about a 1/4-wave NMO mount. Thanks! 

Attached Thumbnails

• truck side.jpg
  • truck front.jpg

KK6TNB

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 11 January 2021 - 05:46 AM

Should work great. Thats close to where my Larson 2m/70cm antenna is mounted and I'm quite happy with its performance.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#3 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 11 January 2021 - 08:17 AM

I had three NMO mounts installed there across the roof for two dual band antennas and a 2m antenna for an APRS tracker.  I usually run just one dual band. The other two are useful when working an event as a communicator. 

I ran mag mounts for years but the NMO mounts are definitely better.

Make sure the installer seals the NMO mount to eliminate leaks.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#4 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 January 2021 - 07:39 PM

Very interested as this is on my todo list. What about a whip on one of the jack mounts? You could tie it down for travel and let er loose for camping? Pros/cons?

Thanks!

Don't have a radio yet....except a little Baofeng.... hardly a real radio but it works:)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#5 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 January 2021 - 01:13 PM

On my F-350 I’m just using a small magnetic mount where you have shown in your picture and route the cable through the rear door weatherstripping. Seems to work well with my Baofeng hand held.

On my Jeep Gladiator that I am building for longer range extended off-road travel I purchased a hood mount that attaches to the side of the hood and routed the wiring through the firewall to my Kenwood radio. The Jeep’s roof panels are fiberglass and removable so I didn’t want to mount it there.

Here’s what I used.

https://www.diamonda...a.net/k400.html

This coupled with a good Diamond antenna has provided me with great range of over 20 miles in simplex mode in the hills of western VA.

Edited by smlobx, 20 January 2021 - 01:14 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#6 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 21 January 2021 - 02:02 AM

I used an NGP NMO antenna and mounted it like this:

i-s5c36rp.jpg

Hard to see in that pic (&  it is the only pic of it that I have), but there are some 1/4 SST tubes that protect the base coil from branches etc. With the new to us camper I had to cut and turn the mounting portion 90°, then weld it back together.

I have run a mag base on that cab roof and it works, but not as well as this mount does.

A friend has had issues with the normal coax used on NMO bases going bad over time and he now buys the bare base and solders aircraft grade RG400 coax to the base and to whatever connector the radio needs. He has gotten me started doing the same thing. I've had ham guys tell me that RG400 is a made-up spec, that it doesn't really exist, and to just use RG-58(?). Attached is the Mil Spec and here is where you can buy it:

https://bandc.com/pr...-coaxial-cable/

I *think* that Aircraft Spruce also sells it. Far, far better 50 ohm coax.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#7 Geologist

Geologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationColoma, California

Posted 21 January 2021 - 02:35 AM

Hey yawl, after reading responses here, elsewhere online, and chatting with the good folks at The Antenna Farm, I ordered a fender mount 1/2 wave NGP (Laird Technologies B1442NS).  I'll take a couple pics once I complete the install this weekend.

Thanks for the replies so far!

KK6TNB

#8 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 21 January 2021 - 06:29 AM

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good enough.  There are many manufacturers and vendors of 2m and 440 mHz ham antennas that will meet your needs for communicating. Most are reasonably priced enough to allow you the buy and use an antenna for a while then replace it when (if) you find the need for a better antenna.  

In some respects there is an analogy to solar power discussions. MPPT is better than PWM but adding another solar panel may overwhelm the advantage of the better one. The same with AGM vs. LiFePO4 batteries. PWM on AGM may provide all the electrical energy you need for camping if MPPT and LiFePO4 is out of your budget at present.

Much better to be out there camping and stop at a commercial campground with electrical hookups for a night and use their showers, laundry, and replenish supplies every few nights than to avoid camping because you don't have the best stuff at this time. 

Just saying.  :)

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#9 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 21 January 2021 - 02:32 PM

The vendor mentioned was the one who was most insistent that RG400 did not exist even after I supplied the spec! I was hoping that they might see the advantage of tefzel insulation over what it used in the lower grade coax's and that I'd be able to buy everything from one vendor, but it was not to be. I still buy from them, but take no advice from them.

Standardizing on the NMO base means that it is easy to try different antennas and different mounts. At one time or another I've had all of my antennas on fixed bases, mag bases, and on the top of a tall mast. I have found that the bigger the magnet in a mag base the better that it performs all of it's functions.

There is no Best, there are only varying degrees of good enough.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 21 January 2021 - 06:24 PM

Its pricey stuff but if you want the best look at Breedlove. I'm using one these on my HF antenna. https://breedlovemou...nmo-roof-mount1

I'm not against cutting holes in my roof and I won't argue an nmo mount isn't the way to go but, I've been using a mag mount antenna on my truck since I first got licensed. It works, I get great signal reports and its a case of if it ain't broke don't fix it. Someday I'll cut a hole but I'm not in any hurry. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users