• LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 16 September 2021 - 10:17 AM

My Copilots

Sox

copilot%20Sox-M.jpg

Gabby

copliot%20Gabby-M.jpg

Outside Kaycee, Wy

Dozer%20and%20Pan%2C%20Kaycee%2C%20WY-M.

Acsess%20trail%201%2C%20Red%20Wall%20cou

Outlaw Cave Campground

Gabby%20and%20Sox%20Outlaw%20Cave%20Camp

Outlaw%20Cave%20Camp-M.jpg

Outlaw%20Canyon%20top-M.jpg

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#42 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 16 September 2021 - 10:20 AM

Glad you’re enjoying the truck! We’re pulling the trigger on a 2022 F350 Super Cab with a 7.3/4.30 this week. 

I'll give a brief write up on the truck, but it did everything I asked of it. and some places were pushing my limits while being far from home and alone.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#43 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 16 September 2021 - 01:34 PM

Looks like a great trip. Thanks for the report. It is good to get out. We are heading out for 3 + weeks in a couple of days.

Happy camping and peaceful traveling.

Tony

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#44 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 17 September 2021 - 09:41 AM

These are from my second day at Outlaw Canyon and a hike down.

Outlaw%20Cave%20Camp-L.jpg

Outlay%20Canyon%201-L.jpg

Outlaw%20Canyon%202-L.jpg

Outlaw%20Canyon%203-L.jpg

Outlaw%20Canyon%204%20rest%20time-L.jpg

Outlaw%20cave%201-L.jpg

Outlaw%20cave%202-L.jpg

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#45 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 18 September 2021 - 09:30 PM

I said I would give a brief write up about the truck.

I went through a cat scale on my way to Wyoming, so a I was still basically loaded for a 3 week trip with my 2 dogs.

the trucks rated

Front GAWR 5200LB

Rear  GAWR 7230LB

GVWR 11800 LB

From the Weigh ticket

Front axle 4560lb

rear axle   5120lb

gross 9680 lb

Remember this is a big heavy truck, driving the front seems slightly over sprung, the rear is awesome,

With the FX4 package it gets "off road rated shocks" they are a bit stiff in the high speed damping and adequate low speed damping.

I learned a lot about suspension setup from my dual port bikes, but all I know is I don't know enough. The truck works well enough I am not going to rush buying replacement shocks, the springs I will not touch. I plan on a big beefy front bumper and winch at some point.

The 10 speed transmission works well, I did have several times that the programming leaves something to be desired.

I would not hesitate to get this engine transmission axle combo again. with the 4.3 axles in 10th gear at 75mph its running about 2200rpm, just enough into the power band to maintain speed most of the time. In 1st gear it it slow enough to crawl most things.

With the FX4 you get "Hill Descent Control" this is an automatic braking/speed control for up to 20MPH, it works really well.

there were a few places I shifted to 4 low, something about a narrow steep washed out 2 track made me extra careful. I idled up in 3rd gear at 3mph.

I see no reason for me to "upgrade" tires and suspension, I did scrape the front air dam a couple times but nothing damaging. I do not want to go rock crawling with a rig this big. When the OEM wrangle kevlars wear out I will replace them with the same size in something that works better. They work ok in dry conditions but if there is any mud they clog instantly and do not clean out well.

Over the entire 5152mi I averaged 11.6MPG (from the Truck computer) I had many miles at 50-65mph that were about 12.5-12.8mpg, slow 2 track was single digit mpg. I think that's not too bad for a big heavy truck and camper

Taking the rear seat out worked out great for my dogs and storage. I still want to do a flatbed with this camper it would make storage so much better. I really need to carry more than 12G water to boondock with no water sources.

The 34G gas tank was adequate, probably a 350mi range. I did make sure to fill early and often, many times when  I could not, when I needed.

I will possibly upgrade at least the drivers seat sometime, I like the easy to clean vinyl seat but the shape of it isn't the greateset after several days in it.

If anyone has any questions ask and I will try to answer.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#46 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 11:48 PM

Great write up. Sounds like it was a fun trip. We just ordered ours, configured quite similarly. A Hallmark K2 will ride on the back with a Bowen flatbed and upper and lower boxes. It will be a 20" increase in wheelbase over our Silverado/FWC combo. How did it feel in 4WDL?

#47 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 19 September 2021 - 11:43 AM

Great write up. Sounds like it was a fun trip. We just ordered ours, configured quite similarly. A Hallmark K2 will ride on the back with a Bowen flatbed and upper and lower boxes. It will be a 20" increase in wheelbase over our Silverado/FWC combo. How did it feel in 4WDL?

The only difference I felt in 4WDL is its a lot slower, it does turn off all of the traction control stuff.

Spend some time figureing out all the different modes etc, I hope you are at least getting the sync3, somehow adding it also added the 4"dash display and several transmission shift modes, and there are different modes to the advance trac (traction control)

Example if you hit the TC button once it turns most of it off, iff you hit it twice (fast) it puts TC into Sport Mode which allows some tire slip.

You should be able to download the owners manual, but many of these things are not easy to find in it.

The Bowen Flatbed looks interesting, living in East TN, I have a hard time with custom companies that far away.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#48 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 06:38 PM

I did get Sync3. I also ordered a winch, which gets a stronger alternator and dual batteries, a block heater, upfitter switches, camper pkg and FX4 pkg. I did all weather mats and a carpet delete. I had a carpet free Element for a time and loved it.

I have to get to Denver to get the Hallmark anyway (FWC and ATC wouldn’t configure what I wanted). I could have gotten a Highway Products or Sherptek here in OR, but Brent Bowen is doing an overland bed that is very well thought out and right down the road from Hallmark. The integration should be spot on.

We’re probably adding a Carli suspension too, as we drive a lot of forest roads. 

I’ll let you know in a year!  :D

#49 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 20 September 2021 - 10:20 AM

These are from the Ed O. Taylor Wildlife habitat conservation area just west of the outlaw cave campground.

The "improved" road quickly becaame rough exposed rock and 2 track.

Ed%20Taylor%201-L.jpg

Ed%20Taylor%202-L.jpg

outlaw%20canyon%205-L.jpg

Ed%20Taylor%204-L.jpg

Ed%20Taylor%205-L.jpg

Ed%20Taylor%207-L.jpg

Ed%20Taylor%203-L.jpg

Ed%20Taylor%208-L.jpg

Ed%20Taylor%209-L.jpg

Ed%20Taylor%206-L.jpg

Outlaw%20canyon%20271-L.jpg

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#50 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 03:05 PM

Beautiful and one of the many reasons not to own a regular RV. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users