#21 lostcreek

lostcreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:31 PM

just a couple of points:

- MaxxAir has 10 speeds (vs 3 for Fantastic) - makes a difference!

- it also has a sturdier and more stable cover bracket system - way less rattling in the wind (in addition to blocking rain when open)

- I don't have the remote (not necessary for me) and find the controls easy to use after a short period of getting use to them

- as others have said, it's a drop-in replacement, same cut-out

It may be fixed now by the manufacturer, but several years ago some users reported an issue with the circuit board breaking when power reached over 14V, as when a solar system is charging in bulk/acceptance.  At the time I installed a small inexpensive voltage regulator on the fan circuit to limit to 13.4V.  

#22 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 28 February 2021 - 11:58 PM

One advantage of the Fantastic fan over the Maxx Fam is power consumption.  The Fantastic fan is about 3 amps max on high speed. and about 1.5 on low speed.  The Maxx fan specification states that its power consumption is 5 amps even on the manual lift version. That seems quite high. It exceeds even my power hungry Dometic compressor fridge. 

I do like the Maxx fan in my Intechrv Pursue trailer as it can be used when it rains. I cannot leave the Fantastic fan lid open more than 3/4" or so if it is raining.  I guess I'll leave the front vent just a vent for now.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#23 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 01 March 2021 - 05:07 AM

pvstoy, can you tell me the model MaxxFan you installed or is there a model you might have preferred? Just trying to avoid spending hours on a simple decision :)

Thanks

This was camping world 2019 order:

MaxxFan Deluxe Manual-Opening RV Ventilator System, Smoke Lid

In Stock

$236.94

Dicor Self-Leveling Lap Sealant - White

In Stock

$38.97

Superflex Butyl Tape, 3/4" X 60'

In Stock

$14.39

MaxxFan Standard 4000K

In Stock

$163.94

I wanted the manual as it is a small camper and happy to reach to set the controls.  Both fans are same controls so don't need to learn how different fans work.

Fan will work with lid down as a home ceiling fan to move air, unlike Fantastic fans where the lid needs to be open to spin.  The fans have a positive lid lock when you push up on the lid wheel that does not allow the lid to creep open like on the Fantastic lids. 

I remember seeing the amps draw and said that's not bad, not remembering how much they draw at each 10 speeds.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#24 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 01 March 2021 - 06:25 AM

Thanks Patrick for the fan info. Good to hear the front vent may be prewired. Paul, I hope that 5amp draw was on a high power setting.

Does anyone think the MaxxAir fans are any quieter than the Dometic?

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

#25 thedogslife

thedogslife

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 02:05 PM

If you order a Powered Roof Vent Fan on any of the new FWC's, you will be getting the MaxxAir Vent Fan.

We are no longer installing the Dometic Fan-Tastic Roof Vent Fans on the new FWC's.

Thank You Stan for clearing this up for me.. Correct me if I am wrong, but its the 4500K model FWC is installing? I believe that model has a normal style lid. Wonder if it could be upgraded to the "rain shield" lid that is on the 6200k Model. Assuming we can purchase just that lid online. Either way it will be a nice upgrade from the Fantastic fan imo.  

#26 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 01 March 2021 - 03:20 PM

One advantage of the Fantastic fan over the Maxx Fam is power consumption . . .

MaxxFan speeds 4, 5, and 6 match up to Fantastic Fan speeds 1, 2 and 3 pretty close in amp draw.

My MaxxFan draws ~ 0.2A on 1 and 0.4A on 2, both in and out (Trimetric reported).  I can hardly hear it running (but my hearing is bad anyway).  This is where I usually run it.

My MaxxFan draws 4.6A (air in) and 4.5A (out) on high speed.  Run only when I need to clear dog farts really fast  :blink:

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#27 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 01 March 2021 - 05:17 PM

One advantage of the Fantastic fan over the Maxx Fam is power consumption.  The Fantastic fan is about 3 amps max on high speed. and about 1.5 on low speed.  The Maxx fan specification states that its power consumption is 5 amps even on the manual lift version. That seems quite high. It exceeds even my power hungry Dometic compressor fridge. 

I do like the Maxx fan in my Intechrv Pursue trailer as it can be used when it rains. I cannot leave the Fantastic fan lid open more than 3/4" or so if it is raining.  I guess I'll leave the front vent just a vent for now.

Paul

Here is a comparison I did several years back between the MaxxFan and Fantastic Fan. https://www.wanderth...ge/?hl=p5120184

Here is the amp hour chart for quick reference:

gallery_4850_766_45232.jpg

MaxxFan speeds 4, 5, and 6 match up to Fantastic Fan speeds 1, 2 and 3 pretty close in amp draw.

My MaxxFan draws ~ 0.2A on 1 and 0.4A on 2, both in and out (Trimetric reported).  I can hardly hear it running (but my hearing is bad anyway).  This is where I usually run it.

My MaxxFan draws 4.6A (air in) and 4.5A (out) on high speed.  Run only when I need to clear dog farts really fast   :blink:

Here is a comparison I did several years back between the MaxxFan and Fantastic Fan. https://www.wanderth...ge/?hl=p5120184

Here is the amp hour chart for quick reference:

gallery_4850_766_45232.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#28 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 02 March 2021 - 01:20 AM

sample pics of what we are using . . .

Attached Thumbnails

• Maxxair-Powered-Roof-Vent-Fan-Four-Wheel-Camper-1.jpg
  • MaxxAir vent fan 1.jpg
  • MaxxFan plus vent fan 4500.jpg

Edited by Stan@FourWheel, 02 March 2021 - 01:30 AM.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#29 veryactivelife

veryactivelife

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 March 2021 - 10:33 PM

sample pics of what we are using . . .

Thanks Stan!

Dean and Mary
2015 RAM 2500 Cummins with 2015 Four Wheel Campers Hawk flatbed

VeryActiveLife on Facebook, instagram & YouTube

#30 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 02 March 2021 - 11:00 PM

Pvstoy, thanks for the butyl and sealant offer, I have some coming from Amazon. Not a lot of fun removing the old variable speed fan. The screw holes don’t quite line up with the Maxx fan hope that’s not a problem. I removed the cover on my front unpowered vent and sure enough a pair of hot wires at 12volts good job FWC. 

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users