• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#31 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,784 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 03 March 2021 - 12:51 AM

I prefer having new screw holes mounting the fan on the roof. The existing holes take a hammer and flatten flush with roof. The butyl tape will fill in those holes.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#32 ri-f

ri-f

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 03 March 2021 - 02:43 AM

For anyone who has a Maxx Air installed and, also, has a solar system charging the batteries which run the fan, I have two questions related to the Maxx Air 'manual' 10 spd fan:(i.e., 6200K or other "manual" models).

1. Have you had any issues with voltage at about 14.4v messing with the circuit board on your Max Air fan? I have seen reports on other forums of odd fan behaviour (supposedly, as a result of solar charge voltages at around 14.2-14.6v). Is there any truth to this?

2. Also, are you able to manually open the lid, with the knob, say, 1 inch or half way, etc. and still run the fan in exhaust mode? Or do you actually have to open the lid all the way? I know the lid can be in the closed position when running the fan in intake mode. And I assume the lid can be partially open with the fan off.

Rich

- 2001 Cummins 2500 quad cab 4x4 turbo diesel; NV4500 5-spd manual transmission; CM aluminum flatbed, '20 FWC Hawk shell - hybrid buildout.  https://ian-frese-of...r.blogspot.com/

- 2004 Jeep TJ - Rubicon

#33 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 04:56 AM

My 2 different fans have not noticed any problems with solar and have not known issues with what you say.

The fan on my manual fans will work with lid in any position.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#34 lostcreek

lostcreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 11:34 PM

Rich,  I posted above about that reported issue with >14V messing with the circuit board.  There were several written and video accounts, couple of years old by now.  Maxxair was contacted and the problem was apparently verified.  May have been isolated incidents; issue may also have been resolved by now.  Since at the time I had just installed my Maxxair I went ahead with an inexpensive $15 voltage regulator to drop the max V of the fan curcuit to <14.  The fan has been working great with no problems.

Also, confirming that fan operates with lid in any position, including closed.

And the amp charge posted above look pretty accurate and tallies with my own tests.

#35 ri-f

ri-f

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 01:16 AM

Thanks, Patrick and lostcreek. Happy to hear that both your Maxx Airs are both operating without issues >14v. Lostcreek, which voltage reg did you install on your Maxx Air? And where exactly did you install it? It just seems to me that a fan's circuit board should be able to handle at least 14.8v before it goes wonky. I will probably contact Maxx Air tech support and find out whether they have upgraded their boards to handle reasonable charging voltages. It's hard to believe that they would expect you to add  an aftermarket regulator for a new install because their boards can't handle anything above 13.9v. Well, I'll see what they say.

From what I've read, it is hit and miss with their boards. Maybe they finally got a handle on it, who knows. Interestingly, one thing I read was a message as recently as last year, from Maxx Air tech support to a user having an issue with voltages over 14V. The tech director at Maxx Air stated that the fan had a maximum voltage of 16V, however, only for very short periods of time. The fan's board wants to see a voltage, ideally,  at 12v +/- 10% (most of the time). He recommended regulating it. So then why don't they regulate their own product or upgrade their boards, since in applications such as RV's and boats the voltage will frequently be over 14v due to varying charging routines. Weird.

Rich

Edited by ri-f, 04 March 2021 - 03:12 AM.

- 2001 Cummins 2500 quad cab 4x4 turbo diesel; NV4500 5-spd manual transmission; CM aluminum flatbed, '20 FWC Hawk shell - hybrid buildout.  https://ian-frese-of...r.blogspot.com/

- 2004 Jeep TJ - Rubicon

#36 ri-f

ri-f

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 04:19 PM

OK,just received confirmation from MaxxAir regarding installation mods requied to avoid latent circut board issues in your fan if your battery exceeds 14.0v - and pretty much all charging routines involve voltages >14.0v. Some people have not had any issues with these fans, but there have been many instances of failure down the road where MaxxAir had to replace circuit boards and they now recommend installing regulators to avoid inconvenient failures.

----------------

You will need to put a voltage regulator in line before the fan. Any voltage regulator that will hold it in the 12 v dc

George Moore

Technical Assistance Coordinator

RV Products, a division of Airxcel, Inc.

3050 N. St. Francis

Wichita, Kansas 67219

Office: 574-247-9235

Fax: 316.832.3417

www.Airxcel.com

- 2004 Jeep TJ - Rubicon

#37 wicked1

wicked1

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 06:20 PM

"ANY" is definitely wrong.  There are always two aspects to electricity.. The voltage AND the current. 
You need one that can support the max amps of the fan, plus at least 50% for a safety margin..  (Most manufacturers, especially the inexpensive Chinese ones, exaggerate their ratings).  Otherwise you could burn one (or your entire camper) up, or end up w/ something way bigger than necessary. 

Edit to say, looks like the max amps is around 5, so personally, I'd get a 10a regulator. 

(Getting proper electrical info from RV equipment manufacturers has been a nightmare in my experience!  Never quite right.. often dangerous)

Edited by wicked1, 04 March 2021 - 06:25 PM.

#38 ri-f

ri-f

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 11:39 PM

This is the best thread I've seen on the MaxxAir voltage issue. It has excellent links to sources for proper regulators and a nice install video, too.

No b.s. Just the facts.

https://www.escapefo...ator-14667.html

- 2004 Jeep TJ - Rubicon

#39 lostcreek

lostcreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 11:40 PM

I don't have the product info for mine, but most any reliable device will work (some are V adjustable).   Definitely test your installation to make sure it's working as intended (my first one made by Drok was faulty.)  As mentioned just above, be sure to size the amps correctly.  I put mine on the wires as they exit the main panel (inside a cabinet) on their way up to the roof & fan.

Too bad that it's still a problem for some with Maxxairs.  I suspect it's because the designers did not figure the use case of solar charging where voltages can easily get above 15 in the right conditions for extended periods.  Stock converters, I think, usually max out around 14.2 or so.

#40 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 05:27 PM

And why is it my problem when buying a product to spend more money and time for installing a voltage regulator?  The company should fix the issue, move forward and take care of the existing ones that fail because of their oversite??  Said company provide voltage regulators to customers if needed or send replacement circuit boards to customers on request based on production dates of units.

Rant off......

Looked at the link and $20 out of my pocket to buy a step down voltage.....

Edited by pvstoy, 05 March 2021 - 05:36 PM.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users