Shunt wiring question

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#11 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 07:44 PM

Sounds correct. A picture once you are done could help confirm.

First need to get the shunt. Thanks for the advice.

#12 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 02:23 AM

Look at the batteries first. There will be a wire going from +ve to +ve of the two batteries, and at least one wire coming off of those two +ve battery posts feeding the fuse panel and other loads. Those can stay as is, or if you want to improve things, ALL the load wires (not the joining wire between the two batteries) should be attached to ONE of the batteries.

There will also be a wire going from the -ve to -ve of the two batteries, and at least one wire coming off (you mentioned one going to the -ve bus bar... are there others?) and providing grounds to the loads. ALL the negative wires (not the joining wire between the two batteries) should be attached to ONE of the -ve posts, and preferably the OTHER battery from the one that has all the +VE wires attached to it.

Consolidating all the wires on the opposite battery's respective -ve and +ve posts balances the load between the two batteries better. It is also visually a good way to keep track of things.

It should now we apparent that if you do as Thom suggests above, the BATT side of the shunt has to go on the post of the battery with all the negative wires on it. Put ALL of the wires that are now on that post (except the one joining it to the other battery) on the LOAD side of the shunt.

And you your original question, yes, you can use the "extra" posts... each of those is physically attached inside the case of the battery to its neighboring post.

I hope that helps.

One more question: does it matter which positive post I it the little red wire on from the shunt?

#13 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 02 March 2021 - 03:35 AM

not really.  

#14 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 06:43 AM

not really.

Ok. Because I overthink things I’m not sure of here is a picture of my current setup. I will leave the positive wires where they are, move the two negative wires I have marked in yellow and labeled, one on left from solar controller and one on right to ground bar to the LOAD side of shunt. Those are the only negative wires to the batteries (not counting the ones connecting the batteries). This setup would put all positive wires on right side battery and all negative wires on left side battery. BATT side of shunt
would be connected to left battery.

Now to decide on Victron smart shunt or Victron 712, or are there any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance. I love the support here and learning about these systems.
Attached File  IMG_7454.JPG   261.4K   50 downloads

#15 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 06:55 PM

If you like physical displays (i do!) the Victron BMV 712 is nice... have not used the smart shunt, but that looks great.  

Will Prowse has a test of a much less expensive knock off here - $200 Victron Solar Battery Monitor? Try this $30 Chinese one instead! Great for Off-grid Solar - YouTube

#16 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 07:42 PM

If you like physical displays (i do!) the Victron BMV 712 is nice... have not used the smart shunt, but that looks great.

Will Prowse has a test of a much less expensive knock off here - $200 Victron Solar Battery Monitor? Try this $30 Chinese one instead! Great for Off-grid Solar - YouTube

Thanks. Yes, I like the display as well. Pricey. I will check out the review.

#17 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 10:13 PM

Will Prowse has a test of a much less expensive knock off here - $200 Victron Solar Battery Monitor? Try this $30 Chinese one instead! Great for Off-grid Solar - YouTube

Is the set up for the Victron similar to the knock off in the video? Not the physical hookup but the programming.

Edited by Outnabout, 02 March 2021 - 10:37 PM.

#18 dscobell

dscobell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 11:51 AM

Outnabout,

For what it is worth, I appreciate the ability to monitor my battery charging on my cell phone while driving using the bluetooth feature of the Victron 712.

camper: 2016 Grandby

truck: 2017 Ford F350 CCLB gasser

Callsign: KM6GWU

#19 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 02:05 PM

Outnabout,

For what it is worth, I appreciate the ability to monitor my battery charging on my cell phone while driving using the bluetooth feature of the Victron 712.

Yes. I read the manual for the Victron and it seems like a much more capable alternative. The set up also seems a bit simpler and cleaner. In the video, it appeared that the battery had to be discharged to begin setting up the monitor, Victron does not have this step and seems to be a smarter device.

#20 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 10:31 PM

Is the set up for the Victron similar to the knock off in the video? Not the physical hookup but the programming.

Victron's programming is more sophisticated, and it has that bluetooth which I use A LOT.  The price diff is huge.  That said, if I was wanting to save money I would go Victron, with the smart shunt.

How To Fit, Install And SetUp A Victron BMV-712 Bluetooth Battery Monitor For Motorhome Solar. - YouTube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users