• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#81 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 26 October 2022 - 08:47 PM

I am not Dr electric, but I do have 2 eBikes. I have the 1000 W Renogy inverter in the camper on 2 LiFePo4 Battleborn (so 200 Ah). The batteries for the 2 bikes come off so I charge them in the camper ((either while driving or at night...it's very quiet). I too have a front receiver where I put the bikes after I have gotten off highway and am in the boonies ... They, I found, cause a lot of wind resistance in the front. So for Highway I put them on the rear hitch mount. Then once moving between camps they are on the front out of the way. Mileage was noticeably lower with them on front. I find water will find its way in so the less one temps fate the better. Inside and dry. 

PS If the batteries won't come off the bikes (in frame) I'd wire up from bikes to the electrics inside ("extension cord")

Edited by buckland, 26 October 2022 - 08:49 PM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#82 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 26 October 2022 - 11:27 PM

Thanks Buckland!

That's great advice.  The Specialized bikes don't allow for off-bike charging, even though the batteries are removable.

I suppose I could run an extension cord from inside the camper to the bike, but I'm not sure my little 100AH battery can do the task without the truck running.  

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#83 TacomaAustin

TacomaAustin

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 27 October 2022 - 02:31 AM

I use a Bluetti power station to charge my electric bike battery.  The Bluetti then is recharged via the camper's solar panel. 

Andrew in Austin, TX

#84 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 27 October 2022 - 03:31 AM

Andy. this sounds like a workable solution.  1000W inverter is overkill for what you need, but not a bad idea.  I'd use a quality welding extension cord, or at least a good contractor 12g wire extension cord.  If that's not possible, it isn't the end of the world, because your bike battery charger really is not drawing a lot of power (so not great losses, since you are "transmitting" the power at 120V, not 12V).

Mount your inverter as close as possible to the house batteries.  Mine are 36" away, and I used 2g wire for my 3000W pure sine wave inverter.  

I agree w Rob (Buckland), the bikes on the front are noisy, really affect fuel economy and increase buffering a large amount.  Plus hard to see around.  Still, handy to have that front mount!  

#85 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 27 October 2022 - 06:23 AM

Thanks guys, after mulling over the feedback I'm leaning towards installing a 110v outlet on the overhang of my Hawk with a pigtail plugged into the inverter directly inside.  This will eliminate an "extension cord" to the front, and give me a convenient spot to plug in the bike charger while in camp.

https://www.amazon.c...M17VEBNXI7&th=1

I looked at 1000w inverters by Victron 800va and Renogy 1000w which is a hundred bucks cheaper and includes #4 cables x 36".  The cables should be less than 18" long when I mount the inverter against the front wall of the camper.  The Renogy unit is an inch thinner and inch and a half more narrow, with two outlets compared to one outlet on the more expensive but nice Victron.  As noted I have a Victron DC-DC charger and battery monitor.  I'm not sure why I would need another device on my phone app.

I've decided against charging the bike while driving and instead plan to recharge from my modest 100ah house battery.   I probably won't recharge the 700w/42v bike battery very often, maybe every three or four days, pulling down my 100a/12v battery.

I'm estimating it will cost me 8-12ah, but then we'll probably drive somewhere and replenish the camper battery with our DC/DC 30a charger.  Instead of charging the bike while driving (risk of wet, wind resistance), I'll use the house battery as a reservoir to be replenished by my truck electrical system.

Maybe there's a more elegant way to get this done.  I haven't even seen the bike or the charger yet.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#86 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 27 October 2022 - 12:19 PM

Yes I found the single Battleborn 100 Ah would charge the 2 batteries but then I'd be w/o enough juice for the rest of the camper's needs. So hence the second battery. That said if I drove while charging the DC DC charger would help.  I am to go on a long trip this winter with the 2 bikes and will watch the smart shunt to see how it all plays out. Good luck!!

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#87 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 27 October 2022 - 01:49 PM

Mount your inverter as close as possible to the house batteries.  Mine are 36" away, and I used 2g wire for my 3000W pure sine wave inverter.  

I'm looking at the 1000w inverter mounted about a foot away from the battery.   It has 4g wire leads, and it seems like I should install an inline fuse near the battery.  What size fuse would be appropriate?

#88 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 27 October 2022 - 05:52 PM

I'm looking at the 1000w inverter mounted about a foot away from the battery.   It has 4g wire leads, and it seems like I should install an inline fuse near the battery.  What size fuse would be appropriate?

My 3000W inverter uses a 300A fuse.  You could use a 100A.  

#89 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,773 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 28 October 2022 - 12:13 AM

If you have the room might consider a circuit breaker than a fuse. Breaker you can turn it off or on and reset the breaker if needed. Fuse you have to remove and test and have spares.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#90 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 02:39 PM

Thanks Patrick.   That's an excellent idea.   When Zero Declination did our Victron DC/DC charger they used a resettable breaker.  It's a bit more money, but then I also don't have to carry spare fuses.   :)

2021-06-20%2017.30.03-L.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users