• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 14 March 2021 - 03:33 PM

Another great TR...thank you! I committed to a DV Lite trip for another couple and ourselves, I’m going to try and include a couple of your sites.

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#32 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,297 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 14 March 2021 - 11:02 PM

Thanks Ski for the last episode of the great trip.

Once again the rock art you find is really great.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#33 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 15 March 2021 - 12:24 AM

What a great explanation of the story in the rocks! Thanks Foy. In one of the driest places on earth we are looking at rock formed under water. Not only does it make me go imagining the the past but also consider what all this might look like in one or two million years in the future. We are riding on a very dynamic planet. Wow. :)

When the carbonates (limestones and dolostones) now exposed in Marble Canyon were deposited, they were deposited on a stable continental shelf bordering the western side of the North American craton. If I recall correctly, they are late Paleozoic--Carboniferous or Permian--so between 250 and 350 million years old.  A SWAG about the exact outcrop is that it may have been ripped up by a turbidity current (outflow from an underwater landslide).  The beds on the left side of the outcrop look to have been ripped up just a bit and the spaces immediately filled with lighter colored sand or silt.  On the right side of the outcrop there appears to be a greater degree of damage done to the soft sediment--looks like a carpet pushed up and rolled around and difficult to piece back together.

Yeah, the planet is dynamic to say the least. Sea levels have risen and fallen by tens to hundreds of meters hundreds of times, and climates have ranged from Snowball Earth to Hell on Earth over the last 4.5 billion years, all with zero influence from man. Methinks we're just along for the ride for the most part.

Foy 

#34 heinphoto

heinphoto

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area (East Bay)

Posted 15 March 2021 - 12:37 AM

The petroglyphs and habitation sites you found are quite spectacular. Thank you for the respect you always give to these special places!

-Scott

Edited by heinphoto, 15 March 2021 - 12:38 AM.

FWC Slide-in Grandby and OEV Aluma Tray on a Ford F350 Supercab with the 6.2L Gas Engine.

http://www.heinphoto.com/

IG: heinphoto

#35 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 15 March 2021 - 01:38 AM

great report.  these finds of yours are incredible.  thx for taking the time to walk us through it, and giving the history and its space/place wherever..  

i spent a day on a great basin dry lake bed last week, and happened upon at least one obsidian tool, and who knows what with an agate type rock.

Oregon

#36 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 19 March 2021 - 03:35 PM

Another great TR...thank you! I committed to a DV Lite trip for another couple and ourselves, I’m going to try and include a couple of your sites.

Thanks Ski for the last episode of the great trip.

Once again the rock art you find is really great.

Frank

Thanks guys!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#37 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 03:36 PM

When the carbonates (limestones and dolostones) now exposed in Marble Canyon were deposited, they were deposited on a stable continental shelf bordering the western side of the North American craton. If I recall correctly, they are late Paleozoic--Carboniferous or Permian--so between 250 and 350 million years old.  A SWAG about the exact outcrop is that it may have been ripped up by a turbidity current (outflow from an underwater landslide).  The beds on the left side of the outcrop look to have been ripped up just a bit and the spaces immediately filled with lighter colored sand or silt.  On the right side of the outcrop there appears to be a greater degree of damage done to the soft sediment--looks like a carpet pushed up and rolled around and difficult to piece back together.

Yeah, the planet is dynamic to say the least. Sea levels have risen and fallen by tens to hundreds of meters hundreds of times, and climates have ranged from Snowball Earth to Hell on Earth over the last 4.5 billion years, all with zero influence from man. Methinks we're just along for the ride for the most part.

Foy 

Thanks again, Foy for your contributions to our geological knowledge! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#38 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 03:37 PM

The petroglyphs and habitation sites you found are quite spectacular. Thank you for the respect you always give to these special places!

-Scott

great report.  these finds of yours are incredible.  thx for taking the time to walk us through it, and giving the history and its space/place wherever..  

i spent a day on a great basin dry lake bed last week, and happened upon at least one obsidian tool, and who knows what with an agate type rock.

Thank you for the kind comments! :)

#39 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 03:53 PM

Thanks for another amazing TR.  It seems like the research that you two do prior to heading out almost always pays off.  Marble Canyon has long been a favorite of ours but now you have provided new inspiration for a return trip.  

Thanks Missing Link! This was the first trip ever where we had success with every search, and more! Research is the key along with dogged persistence. 

Taking research to the field can be an adventure in itself. In researching one site, online I found a long narrative about two people searching and their methods of covering an area. It was 6 pages long. I printed it out and brought the narrative along. I pulled it out when we reached their starting point. We sat down and I read it aloud so we could associate the narrative with the actual terrain. I believe the narrative was genuine and not a ruse, but it made no sense to us as to how these two tackled the terrain. Only a tiny bit was usable information - only because we had previously been in the area. The narrative ended up being an amusing little side story.

But, it all goes into the adventure. 

Thanks again, Richard! 

#40 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 19 March 2021 - 04:53 PM

Thanks for another great set of TRs. I admire your get-out-ed-ness!! It's always amazes me to see mud on those canyon walls 30 feet above. Makes a person think about getting caught up in even a small flood coming down those narrows!!

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users