• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ruck_and_Roll

Ruck_and_Roll

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction, Colorado

Posted 08 April 2021 - 04:43 PM

Question for you F150/F250/F350 owners out there.  Are there any special instructions for mounting on current generation F150s?

I bought a used Hawk a few years ago and I am now upgrading the truck to a 2021 F150 Heavy Duty Payload Package.  At the time I ordered the mounting kit from FWC and did all of the work myself.  It turned out well, until after about 1 year I noticed some issues with some bed damage.  About 1 year ago I redid the work, bought longer eyebolts, used the 3x5 backing plates, and ran the eye bolts through the bed frame.  I believe this solved the problem and I had no further truck bed damage issues. 

I am going to do the install on a new truck next week and I was going to do the same thing as my second go around (3x5 backing plates, eye bolts through frame, etc).  Does anyone know how the dealers/FWC are doing the install on the new Fords?  I don't want to repeat the bed damage mistake.  (Also have an e-mail out to FWC).

Best,

Luke

2014 Ford F-150 XLT

2008 FWC Hawk

Western Colorado, USA

Instagram: @lukeyfiasco

#2 2trout

2trout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationGlenwood Springs

Posted 08 April 2021 - 10:27 PM

I bit the bullet and did Troklift tie downs. Very happy with the product. No monkeying around with holes in the truck bed. If i had to replace my truck with a new to me one, Id be building in the price of new Torklifts into my purchase.

trout

#3 ramblinChet

ramblinChet

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • LocationYorktown, Virginia

Posted 10 April 2021 - 05:10 AM

My Torklift tie downs just arrived today and although they are expensive and you forfeit some clearance the benefits won it for me:

• other owners on here have had great success with them
  • they bolt directly to the frame
  • no checking tightness of turnbuckles
  • no permanent modifications or holes are required
  • no possibility of damaging the bed of a new vehicle

There are some other long term considerations that sat well with me also. If I decided five years from now to pick up a large hard side unit I already have the tie down gear. If I decide to try another tie down method at some point in the future these can be uninstalled in an hour or so and sold for a fair price.

I know everyone had different requirements so it will be interesting to see what you select.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: F150, mounting, tie downs, turnbuckles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users