#1 Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationKlamath County, OR

Posted 06 May 2021 - 02:05 AM

For those of us who prefer the steel fuel cans over the plastic ones, it can induce sticker shock when you look at the Valpro/Wavian cans.  And surplus NATO cans have been very scarce for a number of years now. 

I recently found a surplus dealer that has genuine NATO fuel cans.  Apparently a lot of them.  They describe them as new inside, never used, but stored outside.  There was no indication of age.  I was a little skeptical, since they're selling them for $19.95 each.  I decided to find out and ordered 14 of them.  At that price they sure aren't going to ship them free, and shipping was $97.  That brought them to just under $27 each.  They also threw in a simple spout for each one. 

I was pleasantly surprised when they arrived.  These are in better condition than some of the surplus cans I bought 20 years ago, and they're even older.  When I opened them they still smell like fresh paint inside.  Most are dated 1954 and two are dated 1952.  A few have some small dents and all have a little surface rust here and there, but overall, very nice fuel cans.  Most would look brand new with a coat of paint.

So if you're in the market for some genuine NATO cans, here's your chance to score some at a good price.  Major Surplus & Suvival.  If you're in the Los Angeles area you can pick them up and save the shipping cost. 

https://majorsurplus...n/category/445/

Jim Price

curmudgeon: n. a crusty, ill-tempered, irascible, cantankerous old person . . . .

#2 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 354 posts
  • LocationTucson, more or less

Posted 06 May 2021 - 03:10 AM

Thanks for the tip! I ordered a couple extras.

Co-author of the Vehicle-dependent Expedition Guide, Edition 4.

Exploring Overland: Books, tips, and trips

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Get's a "charge" out of camping!

• Members
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 06 May 2021 - 05:50 AM

Me too!

#4 corybrown50

corybrown50

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 153 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 06 May 2021 - 01:01 PM

Headed in for a couple myself. I'm so sick of newer gas cans and their stupid nozzles and restriction garbage. Picked up 2 last night. Thank you for the heads up!

#5 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,527 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 06 May 2021 - 01:29 PM

Just so that people know, they won't ship to the PRK among other States. I don't need any more, but I've a few that should probably be retired.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#6 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Fellow Wanderer

• Members
  • 2,977 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 06 May 2021 - 01:43 PM

Due to State Regulations, this item is Not to be sold in the following states: CA, CT, DC, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VA, VT, and City of Dallas, TX

Thanks for the heads up, Jim.  Unfortunately CARB says us Californians can't buy them (at least via shipment).

Andy
06 Tundra AC TRD 4x4, 08 Hawk, Ride-Rite bags, Helweg sway bar,18" BFG AT's

Photo galleries at Lighthawkphoto.com

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 8,068 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 06 May 2021 - 02:30 PM

I ordered a couple to store diesel for Big Red the mighty tractor.  They offer free nozzles with the cans.

Jim, thanks tor the tip!

Real Dogs Have Beards - Fear the Beard
Tu Ne Cede Malis

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 7,068 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 06 May 2021 - 06:33 PM

Due to State Regulations, this item is Not to be sold in the following states: CA, CT, DC, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VA, VT, and City of Dallas, TX

Thanks for the heads up, Jim.  Unfortunately CARB says us Californians can't buy them (at least via shipment).

Good thing I got some a long time ago!

Craig KK6AUI _________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#9 DarinH

DarinH

Advanced Member

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Locationwestern Colorado

Posted 07 May 2021 - 11:52 PM

Does anyone make/sell lockable mounting brackets for them?

#10 tailwalk

tailwalk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 03:54 AM

I’m confused. My residence is in the Bay Area, CA…I placed an order and it went through. I used PayPal. The seller is located in Los Angeles.

Thanks for the heads up, Jim. Unfortunately CARB says us Californians can't buy them (at least via shipment).

Edited by tailwalk, 08 May 2021 - 03:55 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fuel, nato, jerry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users