Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 18 July 2021 - 12:17 PM

East of Klamath Falls, Oregon

Bootleg Fire

Fire Number 210321 Unit Identifier ORFWF - Fremont-Winema National Forest Complex Name  

Start Date 07/06/2021 Reported

Acres 273,582 Cause Undetermined

I am haunted by waters

#32 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 18 July 2021 - 05:59 PM

Inciweb's information on the Bootleg Fire

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#33 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 18 July 2021 - 08:56 PM

Downgraded to a mere 18k+ acres but looking at the map I can't help but think its more than that. 

This statement from the FS isn't going to make them many friends.

The fire was burning in remote territory for weeks before gusting winds Saturday exploded it into a dangerous conflagration. On July 10, when the fire was a quarter-acre wide, the Forest Service said it made a "tactical management decision is not to insert fire crews due to safety concerns, however, this is not an unresponsive approach. [The fire] is surrounded by granite rocks, a small lake and sparse fuels. Fire poses no threat to the public, infrastructure or resource values."

I wonder if there will be an investigation once its over.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#34 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 18 July 2021 - 09:22 PM

It's so hard to second guess these events.

But you would think such a small fire just dump some water on it.

Oh well.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#35 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 18 July 2021 - 10:02 PM

Yes, especially when you have multiple large fires going on. The safety concern is an odd one. Any fire has safety concerns. Not sure why a hand crew couldn't have hiked in or a copter land nearby. 

#36 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 19 July 2021 - 02:10 AM

Second guessing these events is actually easy because of hindsight. It is the first guess that is hard. After a good lightening event you could have scores of small fires, maybe even a hundred up and down the entire Sierra crest. Every one you send a hand crew or make a drop on is an existing fire you just pulled a crew away from. Will somebody's house burn down by doing that? So you have to make the call which ones get attention and which don't. Don't get a single one wrong in your whole career or the second guessers come out of the woodwork calling for your head on a post.

I don't know what will happen to the person that made this call. They may very well be held responsible. But I suggest every person that is second guessing them step up and replace that person and be responsible for making the first call from now on.

I don't know anything about fire fighting. But I retired from a job that required difficult decisions. I sleep much better now.

Rant over.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#37 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,774 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 19 July 2021 - 02:30 AM

TAMARACK FIRE Evac Center at Douglas County Senior Center , Gardnerville

7-18-21 UPDATE 5:20 PM
*25,000 acres burned
*6 structures lost
*Air response still limited due to smoke
Mandatory evacuations are in place for the following areas: Grover Hot Springs, Shay Creek, MarkleeVillage, Markleeville, Carson River Resort, & Poor Boy Road area, Wolf Creek Campground, Silver Creek Campground, ADDITIONALLY Sierra Pines, Upper and Lower Manzanita, Crystal Springs, Alpine Village, Diamond Valley Road and Hung-a-lel-ti are now under mandatory evacuations. "The Mesa" is under a voluntary evacuation but conditions are changing fast. Please stay out of these areas to allow emergency personnel to do their jobs.
We will update this page as information becomes available.

Follow the official County Tamarack Fire Facebook Page at https://www.facebook...111204851241728

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#38 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 19 July 2021 - 03:19 AM

I know I'd hate to be the guy (probably some kind of committee) who has to allocate scarce resources. Hard to send equipment to a fire thats not doing much when you have structures burning elsewhere, new fires popping up, and basically the entire West coast on fire. 

#39 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 19 July 2021 - 07:16 PM

. But I suggest every person that is second guessing them step up and replace that person and be responsible for making the first call from now on.

Well said Ted.

We owe a great amount of respect ,support and appreciation to the women/men who put their lives on then line to protect us.

Thanks to all first responders.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#40 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 19 July 2021 - 10:02 PM

Tamarack Fire Wildfire
Announcements – 58 min. ago COUNTY OF ALPINEOfficial StatementDATE: July 19, 2021RE: Updated Evacuation Order
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: ALPINE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE ORDERS THE MANDATORY EVACUATION OF BLUE LAKES ROAD
The Alpine County Sheriff’s Office has ordered the mandatory evacuation of Blue Lakes Road effective 11:30 AM on July 19, 2021. They are asking all residents and visitors to safely leave the area.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users