20 replies to this topic

#1 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:27 PM

Planning on doing just a day trip up Highway 88 near Kirkwood to check out some lakes mentioned a while back by Daryyla. Hoping to find some future camping spots away from the crowds on the big lakes - Caples, Red, Silver, Blue Lakes, etc. I'm in a stock 2000 Tundra 4x4 with a Hawk. According to Darryl, the road to Scott Lake should be no problem. Has anyone done the road to Crater Lake in that area? It looks like there may be some steep, rocky sections on it. Also, any other suggested places to check out while I'm up there?

Thanks, Ted

#2 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:29 PM

take a "clicker" and let us know how many ATV's you count.

jet ski of the forests...
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:17 PM

Crater lake is an easy ride. Took my truck up there no problem. I should bring my kayak up there. It did get a lot of road travel, bikes, atv's etc, but not one person camped up there. I stayed for lunch but didn't camp there. I have the feeling it gets real windy there in the afternoon. Lack of campers on a weekend plus the topography led me to feel that way.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#4 Darryla

Darryla

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:34 PM

You will have no problem getting to Crater Lake if the road has not changed from last year. The fishing is good around the north east corner off the rocks. We did not stay overnight either, but it seems ok. You could camp along the river on the road to Blue lakes. Go about 5 miles down the road off to the right. Its free and the fishing is good. If you go into the back side (west), you will avoid the RV's. There is dirt road which looks like a turn out and it goes into the back part and then you can drive back east to the river and camp.

Darryl

#5 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:23 PM

Gassed up the truck and was setting up my fishing gear for an early morning departure. Then the next door neighbor sees me and comes over. That would be the 30-something wanna-be frat boy neighbor. H e wanted to warn me that he was having a party the next night and it would probably be loud. Last time he did this, we took off in the camper. Heard later that the police showed up at 1:30 am. :mad:

$#&@! If I go explore all day, I don't want to come home and listen to them all night. So stayed home the next day to get household chores done and pack the camper. Took off in the camper once my wife got home from work. Had to keep it close because the out-laws, errr, in-laws were coming the next day.

Not sure when I'll get to explore this area. Thanks for the replies. Sounds like both spots should be easy. Also souhds like the Blue Lakes road is worth exploring as well.

#6 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:07 PM

Finally got the chance to head up the hill. Darryl and Craig, either the Crater Lake Road has been destroyed since you two were there or your idea of "no problem" and mine are far apart. Only made it about two thirds of the way in. If I didn't have the camper on I may have gone for it, but was not comfortable doing it loaded. No need to live up to my moniker.

Scott's Lake was much more doable. A little rough but never even put it in 4wd. Got a great spot on the lake only to have three couple show up in a jeep and truck to party right next to us. We went for a hike to get away from them but could still hear the stereo booming a mile away and over a ridge. Shooting off a potato gun and whooping and hollering. That was the first time anyone has come up to me about the camper and I offered no info and was a complete a$$ to him. Of course they left some trash behind as well. Only a few ATV'ers showed up but they didn't bother me at all after this group.

Photo of our camp on the lake. Truck is a little right of center.
Posted Image

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:03 PM

Ted, on the way to crater lake you passed by a flat camp area before you went right and then left on up the hill?

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#8 Darryla

Darryla

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:04 AM

Ted, on the way to crater lake you passed by a flat camp area before you went right and then left on up the hill?

Ted: Ya, maybe the road is worse this year. I was over at Laural Lakes and they said the road was worse this year. I will go try Crater lake raod in a few weeks and let you know. Iv'e learned recently that I may be pushing it a little by some of the places I want to go. At Scott lake a little east from where you were at from what I can see is a secluded spot that we stayed at. Scott Lake was good for one visit. I would suggest Laural Lakes over by Mamouth, but the road gets a little tight at the end. Nice places to camp by the meadow and stream though about half way up. Four wheel drive needed.

Darryl
ATC Bobcat, 2001 Tacoma 4X4, Supersprings, Bilsteins, Hewig Stabalizer

#9 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 06 August 2009 - 01:57 PM

Ted, Looks like a great spot, too bad you had to put up with the party trash. We all like our drinks and music but you can't ever assume others want to here you or your tunes. Glad they left eventually and you could enjoy the spot.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#10 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 02:50 PM

Craig, pretty sure I was on the right road. We met a Tacoma coming down and I talked with him briefly. He was hesitant when I asked him if he thought I could make it with a camper. I have seen photos of some of the stuff you drive, so I know your idea and mine about what is a rough road are far apart.

Darryl, the road may be worse this year. Talked to a guy with a jeep at Scott's Lake that said "that road is horrible" when I told him we tried to go to Crater Lake but didn't make it. We actually tried Crater Lake a while back, based on a trip report you made I believe. Between our lack of off-road driving skills and a heavily loaded truck (firewood, camper legs, all the usual gear), our transmission overheated before we got to the creek. We let it cool for a half hour and then tucked tail and went back down. I'd like to try it again when we get a new truck.

DLN, first thing I asked was whether they were staying overnight. If they were, we would have been gone in minutes. Can't figure out why people do that. I've been known to crank my music up, and have the hearing loss to show for it, but never anywhere that others have to listen to it. Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users