20 replies to this topic

#11 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:29 AM

Wow, the road I remember didnt' look like it would get chewed up that bad in one bad winter. Who knows. Seriously, aholes who camp next to me like that, I have a remedy. I just, cool, guess you won't mind me shooting next to ya then either. Works everytime. And yes, I've done that. Always with safety in mind.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#12 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:01 PM

"Get me my pistol and three round balls
I'm gonna shot everybody I don't like at all
Like at all, Like at all"

Just in case you are wondering if I lost my mind I thought I should add that these are song lyrics. So, who sang them?
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#13 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:35 PM

Hi Ted,

I went to the East Side this weekend, was planning on checking out Crater or Juniper lake from your last trip report but we had a friend who is through hiking the PCT who needed a food drop so we went to the Devil's Post Pile instead to do the food drop and see the monument, it was our first time there. It was nice but probably won't visit there again. I will throw up a few pictures soon. At any rate, the Aspens were just starting to change. The high ones, 9k feet were already changing but the low ones were just starting. I think next weekend they will be gorgeous. We only live an hour and a half from hope valley and we go up every fall to look at the Aspens changing. It's so close to home that we never bother camping but now with the FWC we want to go and make a weekend of it. I saw your post on Hwy 88 about Scott's lake. It was one of the places I pulled out of my Alpine Sierra guide book as a possible camp spot. We may have some folks with us in a two wheel drive toyota pick up and possible one group in a passenger car (not sure on them yet). Would they be able to make the road to Scott's lake or is it 4wd only? Also, how long does it take in and out from Hwy 88 to Scott's lake. I am sure we will be spending a lot of time in Hope Valley proper taking Aspen photos and don't want it to be a half days drive in and out.

Thanks for the Beta,

Rich
Rich 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited with 1989 FWC/ATC Fleet Hybrid fully refurbished

#14 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:13 PM

Rich,

Your timing is excellent. We were back up there this weekend. Like you, we noticed the colors were just barely starting to change. We are planning to head back to the area on the weekend of the 10th. Probably Hope Valley Friday night and Lee vining area Saturday night. I would prefer to do the Bishop area but we don't have the time to go that far.
As for Scotts Lake, a two wheel drive probably could make it, but we found a new (to us) lake very close by this weekend that I would say is much better. At the intersection of 88 and 89, go south on the dirt road. Follow the main road for five miles to Burnside Lake. Much prettier, the road was recently graded and can easily be done in a two wheel drive, and the fishing was decent. Even the car should have no difficulty if driven carefully. There are not many campsites and it will take some effort to level the truck - blocks and/or rocks, but worth it. There were level areas for tents. The only negative is the fire restrictions right now. I will try to get a photo up soon.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#15 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 12:20 AM

Rich,

Your timing is excellent. We were back up there this weekend. Like you, we noticed the colors were just barely starting to change. We are planning to head back to the area on the weekend of the 10th. Probably Hope Valley Friday night and Lee vining area Saturday night. I would prefer to do the Bishop area but we don't have the time to go that far.
As for Scotts Lake, a two wheel drive probably could make it, but we found a new (to us) lake very close by this weekend that I would say is much better. At the intersection of 88 and 89, go south on the dirt road. Follow the main road for five miles to Burnside Lake. Much prettier, the road was recently graded and can easily be done in a two wheel drive, and the fishing was decent. Even the car should have no difficulty if driven carefully. There are not many campsites and it will take some effort to level the truck - blocks and/or rocks, but worth it. There were level areas for tents. The only negative is the fire restrictions right now. I will try to get a photo up soon.

That sounds perfect Ted, that is just what we are looking for for this weekend. It sounds like a quick in and out to Hope Valley.

Thanks for the info!
Rich 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited with 1989 FWC/ATC Fleet Hybrid fully refurbished

#16 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:08 AM

Photo of our camp at Burnside:
Posted Image

#17 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:04 AM

Ted,
Thanks for the info! I might check out Burnside lake this weekend if I can get away.
Alex

#18 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:50 PM

Ted,
Thanks for the info! I might check out Burnside lake this weekend if I can get away.
Alex

Hey Alex,

Maybe we'll see you up there! I'm in a green T-100 with an old FWC Fleet on it.

#19 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:51 PM

Hi Ted,

From Scott's lake we were planning to hike straight out from there to Big Meadow to see the Aspens. Are there similar good hikes from Burnside or would we have to drive back out to the valley? If we'd have to pack up and drive that may make me lean towards taking my chances with the hard rockin jeepers at Scott's lake :-)

#20 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:25 PM

We didn't get a chance to hike this weekend so I am unfamiliar with trails around there. I was told there is a trail from the lake to Markleeville Hot Springs, which is only two and a half miles as the crow flies. I think the trail is about five miles one way. I noticed on Google that the road splits just prior to the lake and and goes up and behind it. I had hoped to explore that but we ended up leaving early Saturday as my wife was sick. Because of the good condition of the road, it doesn't take long to make the drive in or out. If the car is still planning on joing you, they may have difficulties clearance wise with the road into Scotts Lake.

You will pass through some small aspen groves on the drive in to Burnside Lake. Most were still green but a couple of areas were yellow. With the drop in temps this week, things should start turning fast. Since fires still are not allowed, expect some chilly evenings this weekend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users