#11 Jkron

Jkron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationCO/NH/NY

Posted 15 December 2021 - 04:02 PM

I ordered another Battle Born 100 aH battery, since they were still on sale on their site. Price was $859 shipped, which is a good savings from their $1049 regular price. I will need to shift the current batteries over a tad, and probably re-do the mounting to accommodate a third battery. Shouldn't be much of an issue. I should have the battery this Friday, so we will get it installed this weekend. 

#12 Jkron

Jkron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationCO/NH/NY

Posted 29 December 2021 - 12:20 AM

Alright so I got the third Battleborn lithium battery installed, so now we are up to 300 a/H of capacity. Install was pretty straight forward, just had to rearrange the stops in the battery compartment to get them to fit, and make up some additional jumper wires to tie the batteries together.

I also got my new front boxes installed on the flatbed. I had opted to not get the front boxes, since the ones offered at the time were small and oddly shaped for the cost. I spoke to FWC (who is now the current importer of the Norweld items) and Norweld directly, and Norweld decided to sell me a set of the larger front boxes that are now offered. I had them air freighted to my shop here in CO. INstall was straight forward, and now I have some considerable additional storage. 

20211227-123126.jpg

The next item on my list, is replacing the propane furnace with a Planar diesel one, and mounting a separate fuel tank under the tray since my truck is gas. After speaking with Planar, we came up with a parts list and got them all ordered. My plan is to remove the furnace, and install the heater in the OEM location, and still retain the OEM outside cover, so it will look factory. Once I get everything installed, I will generate a complete parts list, and well document the install so others can work off it. 

#13 Dirtroadsavant

Dirtroadsavant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Ohio

Posted 29 December 2021 - 01:58 AM

Congrats on the battery.  The new boxes look great!  We have the older, somewhat smaller ones and use them a lot.  The air compressor is mounted on one side and we keep a bunch of tire and extraction stuff in there.  The other side, aka, ‘the dumpster,’ carries  trash and recycling.

Flatbed Hawk on a Norweld Tray on an F350 Supercab Gas. All 2017.

#14 Jkron

Jkron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationCO/NH/NY

Posted 17 January 2022 - 04:26 PM

Been a little slow with updates due to being busy in the shop with customer builds, and waiting on parts. But we have gotten some parts in, and had time to make some minor improvements. 

I ordered a set of Fox shocks form Accutune Off-Road with the axle weights and had the shocks custom valved for the additional weight. After a rough 29K miles, the OEM shocks are pretty toasted. I could collapse them by hand, and they would take a long time to extend back. I was pleasantly surprised when the shocks showed up, since the lead time was estimated at 3-4 months. But the rears showed up in about a month, so still waiting on the fronts. Accutune was great to work with, and would highly recommend them. 

The ride improvement in the rear was amazing. No more "porpoise" motion or double bounce when going over bumps. And it doesn't rock as much when going over bumps when turning. 

20220111-170133.jpg

The next mod is the one I am most excited about. My Planar diesel heater arrived last week, with all the parts. So the plan is to remove the OEM propane heater, and install the diesel heater in its place, while still retaining the exterior cover from the propane furnace. Since it is painted to match, and looks rather clean, I want to retain it. 

I ordered some through-hull fittings for the intake and exhaust of the heater. The heater will be mounted on its side, via a bracket, and vent straight out the side of the camper. All the exhaust connections will be sealed and wrapped in heat wrap. 

I am planning on running a tee in the ducting, and have an outlet inside the water heater compartment. This will heat the manifolds, the water heater tank, and the water tank so hopefully I can extend the amount of time I can keep water in the system. 

The only "hangup" I have, is where to mount the diesel tank. I ordered the 13L tank from planar, with original plans to mount under the tray. But since I added the front boxes, and the way the tank is designed with the fuel outlet, I can't mount it underneath. My plan is to mount it to the rear rack of the camper, where one of the rotopax containers is now. The rear rack is being rearranged since I am having a new bracket made to relocate the maxtrax, which I should have this week as well. 

I plan to make a detailed install document along with the required parts I used when it is all said and done, so others can use if they wish to remove the problematic furnace form these newer FWC's.

#15 Jkron

Jkron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationCO/NH/NY

Posted 17 January 2022 - 04:39 PM

Congrats on the battery.  The new boxes look great!  We have the older, somewhat smaller ones and use them a lot.  The air compressor is mounted on one side and we keep a bunch of tire and extraction stuff in there.  The other side, aka, ‘the dumpster,’ carries  trash and recycling.

Thanks, and yea I was not a fan of the older smaller ones. I use an ARB Twin Portable compressor, which i keep in the cab. So the boxes are freed up for extra storage. I like the idea of using one for the trash, as that is something I have struggled to deal with on longer trips. I bought a tire mounted trasharoo type trash bag that I am going to figure out how to mount to hopefully make the trash situation easier to manage. I always wind up picking up trash from others along the way, so I always wind up with a bunch of junk.

I think I am going to dedicate one of the boxes to my tool collection, and the other will be a spill over. In my rear boxes one is recovery gear, and the other is currently my tire chains for the winter. But the future plan is to avoid winter conditions, so hopefully I can lose those soon lol. I am trying to avoid the "there's and empty spot so I must fill it with stuff" mindset. But I am sure I will wind up needing the storage space as we progress. 

For those interested, the cost of the 2 boxes with air freight was a little over $1200

#16 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 17 January 2022 - 04:50 PM

... I could collapse them by hand, and they would take a long time to extend back....

Isn’t that normal shock behavior?

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#17 Jkron

Jkron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationCO/NH/NY

Posted 17 January 2022 - 05:04 PM

Isn’t that normal shock behavior?

No, not really. I shouldn't be able to compress a large shock with no effort, and have it take minutes to extend back with no weight on it. The driver side would not even come back all the way on its own. The OEM shocks aren't the best, and I was not disappointed with their service life since the truck is fully loaded all the time and has experienced what I would consider severe service. And I was happy to get shocks set up for the specific weight, and have a noticeable improvement in handling characteristics. 

#18 Jkron

Jkron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationCO/NH/NY

Posted 15 February 2022 - 05:19 PM

Alright, so made some additions in the last few weeks.

First up was making a bracket for the maxtrax to be moved down lower on the rear rack, to free up space for the shower cube to be mounted higher to function better.

The maxtrax mount is made from aluminum, and mounts to the bottom of the factory rack, and then is bolted into the Norweld tray. 

20220129-161410.jpg

20220129-160117.jpg

Next up was a big one. Swapping out the propane furnace for a Planar diesel heater. After my last trip to Moab a few weekends ago, and the Dometic furnace failing again on me with no error codes, i decided to rip it out and replace it. Between it using a ton of gas and power, and being a complete pile of garbage, it was about time I ripped it out. 

20220211-165021.jpg

I wanted the replacement heater to be OEM in apperance. This meant re-using the factory cover. I removed the plastic trim ring from the existing furnace, and made and adaptor plate and used a thru-hull exhaust fitting. this resulted in it looking factory.

20220213-120407.jpg

I mounted the ehater within the facotry cabinet. I heat wrapped the exhaust and muffler, and made a heat sheild for the side of th cabinet closest to the exhaust. 

20220213-113212.jpg

20220212-192519.jpg

I have added additional heat lagging to the muffler and pipe. The exhaust is attached to a bracket that is mounted to the floor, so it can not shift or move. I also used muffler cement to seal all the exhaust connections since they will be inside. I also installed a redundant CO detector as well. 

Next up was getting the fuel supply figured out. Since the fuel pump needs to be within 1 meter of the tank, I ordered a tank to fit in the forward storage box. This will make it easy to fill from a standard fuel station. The tank is 5.5L. The heater will burn 5.76 liters at full output in 24hrs of constant running. So this should result in approx 3 days at 8 hours per day at max output. I will carry a small diesel rotopax can for additional capacity.

20220213-120714.jpg

The intake combustion air is pulled from the louvered panel behind the fridge. The same location is where the heater pulls in the air to run over the heat exchanger and supply into the camper. 

I debated on pulling the air form inside the camper, but this will result in less condensation when pulling the air in from outside, but will use slightly more fuel since it needs to heat cold air now. 

I made an interior panel from 3/4" AC ply that I had laying around, but I am going to use 1/2" birch and stain it to match the interior as close as possible. 

20220213-163114.jpg

The factory thermostat will be removed, and some USB outlets installed in its place. The controller for the new heater is mounted up near the sink and cutlery drawer. I ran new power for the diesel heater, and capped off the existing power lines from the old furnace.

Since i was left with a gas line from the propane heater, I installed a quick disconnect for a BBQ or firepit in the future. 

20220213-112927.jpg

I am just waiting for the fuel tank, which I should have today so i can mount it and test fire the heater and check for fuel leaks before I button everything up. 

Overall I am excited to get rid of the crummy furnace that is in there. I wish I did not need to replace it, and FWC would install a higher quality unit, but that seems unlikely to change. But this should prove to be more reliable, with service and parts much more readily available. But time will tell. 

Edited by Jkron, 15 February 2022 - 05:22 PM.

#19 Dirtroadsavant

Dirtroadsavant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Ohio

Posted 18 February 2022 - 01:51 AM

Awesome work!  Thanks for sharing.

Flatbed Hawk on a Norweld Tray on an F350 Supercab Gas. All 2017.

#20 Jkron

Jkron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationCO/NH/NY

Posted 19 February 2022 - 03:22 AM

Awesome work! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you!

Got the fuel tank installed today, and the heater up and running. So far everything is working well, going to run it 2 hours on max output to get everything nice and hot and inspect the install.

The fuel pump is extremely quiet, can barley hear it with the front cover off. Should be totally silent with the cover on. Much better heat output than the previous heater, and has already ran longer without an issue than the previous dometic!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users