#11 Elken

Elken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationSW Idaho

Posted 11 September 2022 - 02:35 AM

I’ve been to Indian Hot Springs in Idaho right below where the Jarbidge River dumps into the Bruneau River.  My buddy and I ate lunch there and left, but I was looking at the road going up the other side of the canyon and added camping at the hot springs and driving it to Jarbidge NV to my bucket list.  We were there when the old bridge was falling apart and had to ford the Bruneau River, which was pretty low.  I heard that they replaced the bridge a couple years later,

#12 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 11 September 2022 - 11:12 AM

Just a FYI.  I have a friend who went to the City of Rocks (kind of that direction) and had to come home due to smoke.  

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#13 PJorgen

PJorgen

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 12 September 2022 - 06:16 PM

Unfortunately, because of the smoke and the forecasted poor weather, I'm indefinitely postponing this trip.  Doesn't look like I'll have another window this fall, so probably have to wait 'till next year.

2014 Hawk, Silver Spur exterior on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4x4.

#14 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 13 September 2022 - 04:32 AM

Stumbled on this video about Jarbidge. Haven’t watched the whole thing yet.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=Nb5H1hUGnkI

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#15 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 13 September 2022 - 08:44 PM

Stumbled on this video about Jarbidge. Haven’t watched the whole thing yet.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=Nb5H1hUGnkI

Paul

Paul,

I stumbled upon the same video just the other day.  It gives a good look at the canyon headed upstream to Jarbidge from Rogerson, ID, a good look at the town, and a good look at the route out of town to Elko or Deeth headed south.

I was amazed to see the motorhome towing the Taco headed out of Jarbidge that way.  On July 11, we had driven from Elko to Jarbidge in the other direction and as noted above, the descent from Bear Creek Summit was intense.  The video does a good job of showing the steepness and the narrow shelf road character of that segment.  I'm pleasantly surprised that neither the motorhome nor the YouTuber's Tahoe overheated going up, and that neither smoked the brakes on long descent to Coon Creek Summit and on down to Charleston on the other side.  Either was quite possible.  The motorhome must have a Brake Buddy type system to provide braking from the Taco.

After we arrived on July 11, we set up camp at Sawmill,  I changed my skivvies, repaired the hole in the driver's seat and we headed to the Outdoor Inn for a beer and a bite.  Turns out two of the trucks we'd pulled over for and waved by during the climb were Jarbidge locals and "that guy North Carolina truck towing the camper down from Bear Creek Summit" had already been the featured topic in the bar talk for a couple of hours.  They probably had a pool for an over/under on whether I ended up with that rig wrapped around my neck.  I can't imagine the local's reaction to the motorhome with Taco in tow..

Jarbidge is a cool little spot.  We plan to return, probably from Elko via the same roads just because it's 100 miles farther to enter from Rogerson, ID, and because the scenery out from Elko and through the mountains to reach Jarbidge is so spectacular.  I hope the OP, and you, will be able to get over there soon.

Foy

#16 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 13 September 2022 - 09:00 PM

Great info!

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#17 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 13 September 2022 - 09:55 PM

Foy, that sounds like Jarbidge and the Outdoor Inn. When we were there the topic was the two UC Berkeley professors who  bought a house on main street in town. "They put a hot tub in the backyard!" and, "They don't even use it!" were our favorite memories of the chatter.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users