27 replies to this topic

#21 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 12 September 2022 - 08:14 PM

Here's a video of some guys on Mt Baring yesterday. Scary since we were on the next ridge just two days ago.

Anyway, hope your area is ok! 406 is bad. We are only 170 here.

Glad those two fellows survived!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#22 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 12 September 2022 - 08:57 PM

Here's a video of some guys on Mt Baring yesterday. Scary since we were on the next ridge just two days ago.

I had one of my worst nightmares for real when I heard about a fire near my home while on a backpacking trip. This is another one of my nightmares. 

#23 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 13 September 2022 - 12:28 AM

I just returned from the Rubicon Trail yesterday. When we left Loon Lake Thursday morning the sky was clear and the smoke and fire were heading north. By the time we got to the springs the valley had some smoke and ash which got worse Friday. The caretakers at the springs who were in contact with Cal Fire and the forest service said the trail was now officially closed and we would all be leaving Saturday morning. We had to then drive around to Ice House Rd to get our tow rigs at Loon Lake and the smoke was really bad there by then.

When we were airing up the tires at the Homewood trail entrance 2 Jeeps showed up with 3 German couples. They had shipped their Jeeps to a friend in Utah a couple of years ago with intentions of doing the Rubicon Trail but were delayed due to COVID. They made their bucket list trip this year only to find the trail closed. Life sometimes sucks. We directed them south to Shaver Lake to try the Dust Trail.

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#24 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 13 September 2022 - 12:31 AM

We are not enjoying the smoke!

**I should add that with the hazardous air quality we are a hostage to the house once again.....

Yes, although we both have air conditioned offices we can go to.  AQI hit 300+ today.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#25 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 13 September 2022 - 12:40 AM

We were just out camping at Gold Lakes Basin and above Lake Davis.  Thursday afternoon wasn't too bad, and I got a Harvest Moon photo that night.  

_DSC2082-XL.jpg

Friday morning was okay as we poked around the base of Mt. Ingalls.

I got a few more shots of Lake Davis in the morning.

_DSC2010-XL.jpg

Friday afternoon was okay at Gold Lake, where we met a group of friends for food/kayaking/food in that order.

But Saturday was horrible, and I had a headache and took a nap in the camper.  It lifted somewhat in the afternoon.

At least it was in the low 80's, as friends still arriving from town reported high heat, heavy smoke conditions.

Sunday was better and we did one more paddle and swim before driving back into worsening smokey conditions.

Yuck.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#26 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 13 September 2022 - 08:16 PM

Smoke while camping isn't any fun or healthy.

We spent last week at a cabinacross from my old.

Between the heat 99+ and the unhealthy air limited our outside fun.

But it didn't stom us.

Had some good walks at Lk Alpine and Big Trees SP.

Lots of great wine, cheese,and company.

Stay safe.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#27 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 14 September 2022 - 03:28 PM

After yesterday's blow up, here is this morning's report -

MOSQUITO FIRE
INCIDENT UPDATE
Date: 9-14-2022 Time: 7:00 a.m.

Size: 58,544 acres
Containment: 20%
Total Personnel: 3,052
Fire Information: 211 (Local) or 530-264-8309
Media Information: 530-217-3263
Phone Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. daily
Email: MosquitoFire2022@gmail.com
Incident Websites:
inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/8398
fire.ca.gov
Start Date & Time: Tuesday, 9-6-2022, 6:27pm
Cause: Under Investigation
Suppression Strategy: Full Suppression
People Evacuated: 11,277
Structures Threatened: Approximately 5,848
Total Structures Destroyed: 64
Total Structures Damaged: 10
The Mosquito Fire remains in unified command with California Interagency Incident Management Team 5,
CAL FIRE, Placer County Sheriff, and El Dorado County Sheriff
CURRENT SITUATION
On Tuesday, stronger southwest winds throughout the fire area cleared the smoke inversion and caused fire behavior to become more active. The Mosquito Fire spotted across the Middle Fork of the American River into the Pond Creek Drainage, which is just below the community of Foresthill. Steep terrain and critically dry fuels drove rapid fire growth and an aggressive upslope run towards Foresthill Road. A large contingency of firefighters and additional equipment responded to this southeast corner of the fire to actively defend and hold the fire along contingency lines. Over the past week, crews have been preparing a large number of these contingency lines around the fire as a way to prepare for situations like this where the fire escapes primary control lines. Overnight, firefighters successfully held the fire within control lines along the southern edge of Foresthill and Todd Valley. On the northwest corner, crews were able to continue strategic firing operations along control lines from the Foresthill Divide Road to Deadwood Road. This four-mile stretch of line is crucial for helping hook and stop the fire’s northern spread. A large number of dozers and heavy equipment continued to work through the night in the areas to the east of the fire to build indirect control lines ahead of the advancing fire front. The fire remains active on this eastern front, steadily burning and advancing in heavy unburned fuels.

Today’s number one priority remains strengthening and securing the southwest corner of the fire to protect and defend the communities of Foresthill and Todd Valley. Firefighters are prepared to actively engage in structure defense along the edges of these communities should the fire make similar runs as it did on Tuesday. Weather conditions are forecasted to be the same today with continued southwest winds, which will lead to clear skies and better ventilation for fire growth.
Evacuation orders and warnings remain for the communities surrounding the Mosquito Fire. Firefighters ask that residents take these orders seriously and leave the area when instructed to do so. The fire area remains a dynamic situation that may change at any time, as evidenced by the fire activity on Tuesday afternoon

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#28 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 14 September 2022 - 07:19 PM

Thanks for the continuing report.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users