24 replies to this topic

#21 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 04 November 2009 - 03:00 PM

By "new threaded hook" you mean like one of the threaded ends in the turnbuckles? I suppose you could cut one down.

The old ones were just a tiny bit short so I used new ones.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#22 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:31 AM

So, I got 4 derringers. Now I know what you mean about trying to get them to fit. I found the turnbuckles were too short, so I used a couple of carabiner type links to make a short "chain" that the hook could reach. But I have a few questions:

I picked up some clothesline hooks which resemble the threaded hooks on the old turnbuckles almost exactly except longer. The tag said the WLL is 150 lbs, which doesn't seem like much. Are the turnbuckles only that strong or is that force perpendicular to the hook?

Second question: I got the new derringer installation to be snug. That is, when I tighten it, it is "snug"- not real tight, but no slack. Is that ok or does there need to be any give?
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#23 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 04 April 2010 - 02:52 PM

My guess is the 150 thing is to protect their asses. We drove the White Rim and a lot of washboard and they worked great.

I thought about a carabiner or chain but I didn't want to add another failure point.

I have them snug so there is no movement. Not tight just snug but what the hell do I know?

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#24 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 04 April 2010 - 04:31 PM

I have the newer style "Fast Guns" with a longer j-bolt. I still had to use two quick links, 3/8" size for more security. The "Fast Guns" go on easy, they only have to be snug, you do not want to force them on, this will cause problems with the eye bolts mounting area on your camper. Take your time and adjust all four to the same tension. Then mark your fast guns for their position on the camper i.e. l/f, r/f etc. Your camper for the most part will be reinstalled very close to the previous position after removing and putting them back on. I have yet have one come loose on the roughest of roads. Much more secure than the turn buckles. If you are looking for longer 3/8 j-bolts, "that's the size my fast guns take", Fastenol sells them. So far so good, makes for reinstalling camper very quick, or removing. Make sure you install the safety pins so they will not pop open !!

#25 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 07:02 PM

"quicklinks"- that's what they're called! Yeah, I had to use a bunch. I'm not too worried about them being the failure point though- they are rated for 1200-2000lbs (depending on which ones you use). The hook itself or the eyebolt in the camper are the weak links it appears. "Snug" it is, then! Thanks.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users