32 replies to this topic

#11 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 19 October 2022 - 05:06 PM

I've been considering the Z6. Should I go for more megapickles? Is this like my old friend and car enthusiast always said, "There's no substitute for cubic inches?" :)

I don't have a Z -- still shooting DSLRs. However, from what I have learned...

On the upside of Z7: tons of pixels to crop and play with, excellent image quality, good autofocus, in-camera image stabilization.

Downside of Z7: your computer may get constipated when processing images, more $$. (You wanted a new computer anyway, right?)

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#12 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 19 October 2022 - 07:36 PM

It's all a never ending way to separate our Benjamin's from our wallet.

Gotta have those goodies though.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#13 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 19 October 2022 - 09:18 PM

It’s here and in my hands.  Initial observations, it’s small (really), the controls are much different than a DSLR, and the manual is wimpy compared to D series (not that they were outstanding).  The differences kinda shocked me, but then I think back to my overwhelmed feeling when I bought my first D series.

YouTube tutorials are going to be my guide for a while to figure out how I want to configure controls.

Yes, I think I made the right decision by going Mirrorless.

I am haunted by waters

#14 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 20 October 2022 - 12:01 PM

I also made the switch to mirrorless.

But I am in the Canon world.

I have a Rebel T2i which is getting a bit long in the tooth.

I started researching upgrades and found I could go to the EOS RP for slightly less than a newer SLR.

I had to make a trip to Michigan for work and stopped at Procam in Livonia.

This cost me a bit more, I got the RP, the EF lens adapter, and a used 100-400L lence.

I already had a 24-105L so this sets me up very well for my future travels.

The learning curve is pretty steep, the RP is a lower point full frame body, and it has many more options to choose from.

I did learn really quickly to turn the touchscreen in when using the EVF, I would accidentally change the focus point too easily.

I will most likely find a mode that works fairly well for my use and not mess with all the other stuff much.

one feature I like is IF i start the canon app on my phone and connect it to the camera wifi it will geotag my pictures.

Another note, I tried some cheap batteries that the canon charger will not charge, then I got the OEM Canon batteries for extras. this camera does seem to go through batteries a lot faster.

Edited by Machinebuilder, 20 October 2022 - 12:04 PM.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#15 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts

Posted 21 October 2022 - 03:33 PM

Z7 II first uploaded image.  This is on Flickr, as WTW washes out the color.  Lots of learning yet.  Image size is huge 34x24.

52443879074_356b4d76b2_b.jpg

I am haunted by waters

#16 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 21 October 2022 - 06:44 PM

Very fine shot, Steve! Love the colors.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#17 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts

Posted 21 October 2022 - 08:27 PM

Very fine shot, Steve! Love the colors.

Thank you, there is a lot to learn here!

I am haunted by waters

#18 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 21 October 2022 - 10:54 PM

Looks like you are a happy camper.Beautiful photo.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#19 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 06:49 PM

Update on the Z7 II.

It’s a nice camera, but it is very small.  I’ve ordered the grip to help with the fit to my hands.  I never thought I had big hands, but after having to buy XXL gloves, and the grip for handheld photography.  I guess I’m related to Sasquatch.

For trail work, I’ll remove the grip, and use my Peak Designs Capture Clip (shout out to Mr 3Pin for the recommendation!).

What I’m finding most irritating in the learning curve is the controls that used to be on the left side of the display, are now on the right, meaning I have to take my thumb off the AF-On button to hit things like display zoom and menu.  

Overall, I still like it.

I am haunted by waters

#20 CraggyMan

CraggyMan

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationBend OR

Posted 28 November 2022 - 08:53 PM

I jump back and forth between my Fuji mirrorless and my Nikon DSLR. The button layout and controls get really confusing sometimes especially since I use the Fuji much more frequently. Eventually I will be in Nikon Mirrorless camp but that is a number of years down the road at this point but having both systems is sort of entertaining, I'm looking forward to picking up the new XT-5 with 40mp maybe early next year.

2016 Four Wheel - Fleet, 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD - https://www.flickr.c...sertdustimages/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users