15 replies to this topic

#11 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 02 February 2023 - 12:21 AM

It was definitely overloaded. Had big wood frame cabover camper. 55mph on a warm day. I don't recall the brand or pressure. Nevada Highway Patrol checked me out. Didn't offer to help though. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#12 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 02 February 2023 - 02:03 AM

It always seems strange that E rated tires need higher pressure than P rated tires. I've searched for reasons, and all I can think of is too-low pressure causes them to overheat at high speed, damaging the plies. Presumably that's because the thicker walls don't shed heat as well, and they are stiffer, and thus flexing heats 'em up more. But those are just guesses.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#13 fuzzymarindave

fuzzymarindave

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationMarin County, CA

Posted 02 February 2023 - 06:31 AM

I'm curious at what tread depth you all start thinking about replacing your tires.  I am still on the original OEM Goodyears and the front tires are both down to 6/32.  I believe the wear bars are at 2/32.  However, for off-road safety and traction, especially with a heavy FWC, I want to err on the side of caution, so I am starting to get "itchy".

attachicon.gifTire tread depth (640).jpg

When my tires give me the “itchy” feeling I end buying a new set regardless of a little more tread left.

2015 Hawk, Silver Spur Interior, Fiberglass siding.  2008 F250 4x4 Supercab

#14 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 02 February 2023 - 04:44 PM

When my tires give me the “itchy” feeling I end buying a new set regardless of a little more tread left.

True that...cost of new tires is well worth peace of mind....and balanced against losing control if a tire goes, well worth the expenditure.

#15 TacomaAustin

TacomaAustin

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 02 February 2023 - 05:34 PM

It always seems strange that E rated tires need higher pressure than P rated tires. I've searched for reasons, and all I can think of is too-low pressure causes them to overheat at high speed, damaging the plies. Presumably that's because the thicker walls don't shed heat as well, and they are stiffer, and thus flexing heats 'em up more. But those are just guesses.

While it definitely roughens the ride, increasing the pressure on all terrain E rated tires quiets down the noise while at highway speeds. 

With that said, someone my local Discount Tire seems to believe that the E rated tires should be inflated to whatever pressure recommendations post on my 1/2 ton Tundra's door jam.  Just try running down the highway on a set of E rated all terrains with only 30 PSI per tire. You'll be getting highway noise at just 45 mph.

Andrew in Austin, TX

#16 heinphoto

heinphoto

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area (East Bay)

Posted 02 February 2023 - 06:39 PM

FWIW, I scratched my itch this morning and have a shiny new set of Yokohama X-AT tires installed on my rig.  Now, I just have to find the time to get out and use them!

FWC Slide-in Grandby and OEV Aluma Tray on a Ford F350 Supercab with the 6.2L Gas Engine.

http://www.heinphoto.com/

IG: heinphoto

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users