11 replies to this topic

#1 RallyRock

RallyRock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 February 2023 - 03:08 AM

Hi folks. I have a 2020 Ram 2500 setup with a Hawk. Was considering getting a simple hitch mount swing out for my 1up bike rack. However, a better option might be getting a rigd Ultraswing and hitching my bike rack to the swing arm so I can mount my spare tire as well.

Does anybody have this setup? Seems like the weight might be too far back but I have 2900 lbs payload so im thinking only issue would be backing up (camera compromised without mod) and overall length. Any insights?

Edited by RallyRock, 20 February 2023 - 03:11 AM.

#2 Jsoboti

Jsoboti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 24 February 2023 - 08:04 PM

I have a rigd Ultraswing on my F-350 with HAWK. I'd say its good not great. It's extremely functional, but with the spare tire (35in E rated) and bike rack with two bikes, its quite a lot of weight and the end of the bike rack does turn into a bit of a diving board. I just take it easy on bumps. 

Also, due to the full sized spare being so large, getting the bike rack to fit requires an extender, which contributes to the diving board nature. With one bike its pretty solid, two bikes she starts to really bounce on big hits. 

Aside from an Aluminese (Spelling?) bumper, i dont know of a good alternative.

I would buy the rigd ultraswing again if that helps. 

2014 F-350 | 2019 FWC Hawk | King Suspension 

#3 UmkaAndHawk

UmkaAndHawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 12 March 2023 - 01:37 AM

Not sure this is important, or you're not already aware but, I have a swing out rack from Rocky Mounts. I selected this rack because it kept things the closest to the truck of all the racks. Bad idea. The handlebars on mountain bikes hit the camper. Had to buy the 8inch extension anyway and they *still* strike the camper in extreme situations, but at least I can drive with the bikes.

Given that I had to get the extension, I didn't need the swing out at all! I can tip the rack down (I'm about 99% one up does this also, probably better) and get in the door of the camper without ever using the swing features of my rack. Still nice to have, but I'm not impressed with my selection process. Considered the spare approach you're looking at, but I *don't* have as much payload on my Tundra. Looking forward to hearing other's comments and ideas.

#4 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,897 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 12 March 2023 - 07:12 PM

I also have a two bike 1Up rack.  Hitches front and rear of the 1 ton truck.  Easy to get in the camper with the rack folded down, no need for a swing away.  

#5 Ben_1987

Ben_1987

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 02:44 AM

I don’t have the rigd item you’re talking about but I have had hitch swing outs with bike racks for many years. I had a Thule access swing out with a Thule hitch rack until I bought the Rocky mounts rack with built in swing away that umka is talking about. I have weight concerns which is why I went with the Rocky mounts. The quality is very nice and my rack is now 50lb vs 100lb. You’re obviously a bit less concerned with the 3/4 ton. I am a big fan of the swing out vs lowering racks and sneaking around them, but I also camp with bikes and dogs often.

#6 RallyRock

RallyRock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 02:17 AM

Sorry guys, I completely forgot I posted this my bad.

I think I’m going to go with a regular swing out from 1 up. As Jsoboti pointed out I think it would be too much of a diving board if I included a spare tire mount. Weight wise I’m fine but it’s just too much crap sitting off the back and I still have plenty of room in the spare tire well. I’d probably just keep it a straight 1up without swingout but I absolutely hate dropping it 3/4 and climbing over it to get into the camper.

#7 jclifb

jclifb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 23 March 2023 - 12:03 PM

I have a 1Up rack on my rig and will eventually carry my full-size spare on the hitch like you are doing. I installed AirLift bags on my F-250 to support all the extra weight in the bed and hanging off the hitch. It was not an easy install with my goose-neck hitch in the way, but well worth it.

James

2016 Four Wheel Camper Hawk

2012 Ford F-250

My Build Thread

#8 Jsoboti

Jsoboti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 24 March 2023 - 06:27 PM

Rigd just release an off-road specific bike rack, looks solid AF. $700 is ALOT of money for a bike rack though...

https://www.rigdsupp...hitch-bike-rack

2014 F-350 | 2019 FWC Hawk | King Suspension 

#9 RallyRock

RallyRock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 11:30 PM

Rigd just release an off-road specific bike rack, looks solid AF. $700 is ALOT of money for a bike rack though...

https://www.rigdsupp...hitch-bike-rack

I saw that and I just really like my 1up. Not enough benefit for me to spend a couple grand….. yet anyway lol.

Although, now that I’m looking at the Rak Attach from 1up or any of the others, they don’t look as solid as the rigd from an off-road perspective. I don’t know, back to square 1 I guess lol.

Edited by RallyRock, 24 March 2023 - 11:37 PM.

#10 Ben_1987

Ben_1987

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 April 2023 - 02:12 PM

Someone with a rigd plus 1up rack with ebikes. Made me think of this thread. Wondering if he has a lighter weight 1up rack not meant for ebikes, which is maybe why he had problems.

https://youtu.be/p8CHY2BSXXI

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hawk, Ram, 2500, 1up, Rigd, Spare Tire Hitch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users