• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#11 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 27 March 2023 - 01:54 PM

It seems to me that if you get a FWC, you get it for a number of reasons but one primary one is to do more "off road" type adventures.  Having a minimal range (off-road and pavement) is an issue.  I personally don't want to have to monitor charging locations (at least where we like to go) and then to have to stop and charge up before worring about the next stop for a charger.  Eventually EV's will probably get to where you don't have to worry about it so much but not sure that's in my lifetime.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#12 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 27 March 2023 - 06:35 PM

Some how they took a Rivian to Tuktoyutuk.

The Rivian is currently available too

for my purposes an EV is not happening any time soon.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#13 Gooseberry

Gooseberry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 08:16 PM

I understand your points. We definitely need more chargers in remote locations. I agree. I have lived in Utah my entire 56 years, so I understand my use case pretty well. It’s usually some pretty remote places. I’m not that worried about it. 400 miles isn’t minimal in my use case, but it may not be for you. The distances between some grid electrons is usually not that great. It’s a matter of dropping in the chargers. The main routes are already covered by Tesla, so the more remote locations are next. Their ability to build and deploy chargers at scale has matured. Solar on the camper would usually keep you at a steady state of charge or greater while stopped. I have been driving a Tesla since 2017 and I can say that the software trip planning is excellent. Who knows what the future holds? But it looks very promising as to charger growth. 7-11, Wawa, Walmart, etc…have started large scale deployment of high speed charging at their stores. Walmart is targeting rural or underserved locations. The incentives are definitely there. I’m willing to endure some initial slower speeds and logistical hurdles to help speed the transition away from fossil fuels. Absolutely worth it for me. That’s my priority. Tesla has over 1.5 million pre-orders for the truck, so there will definitely be a market for some interesting solutions. 

#14 Gooseberry

Gooseberry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 09:00 PM

I just looked into it. There already are Tesla chargers in the middle of Baja. There are over 50 Tesla superchargers and destination chargers along the length of the peninsula. There are many more that aren’t specific to Tesla. I have driven a Tesla since 2017 so I understand the range variables. I won’t use the CT with a camper in winter up here in Utah. I have other destinations and options. 

#15 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 28 March 2023 - 02:58 PM

I suspect those range numbers are pretty optimistic. Tests on current vehicles show range drop dramatically when towing or hauling heavy loads. Not for me just based on looks :)  Now give me an electric Jeep and I'd be interested! 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#16 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 28 March 2023 - 03:21 PM

Jeep now has a EV !!

#17 Gooseberry

Gooseberry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 05:56 PM

• 2 BEV Jeeps coming in ~2025. A Wrangler called the Recon 4xe and a Wagoneer S. They look very traditional. I’m not a Jeep guy myself, but I think you will love them. I hope they do very well. We will soon have the numbers on the CT so the guessing will finally end. Production starts this summer. 

#18 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 04 April 2023 - 08:24 PM

How about bringing a 4000W generator to charge the battery? Just kidding!

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#19 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 05 April 2023 - 06:50 PM

How about bringing a 4000W generator to charge the battery? Just kidding!

Not a crazy idea at all.  A solar farm to support EV charging would be too big to go camping with, but a generator..... ?

#20 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 05 April 2023 - 09:05 PM

I was kidding because you'd have to carry a lot of gas to charge up a truck traction battery. Might as well use a gas engine!

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users