34 replies to this topic

#11 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 03 April 2023 - 01:11 PM

Rob, I like foot pumps for water.  We had one on the C Dory, and never had an issue.  No wet counters, two hands free, no noisy pump, no current drain.  The only negative was it interrupted floor space.

You can also use it to drain the tank by slipping a hose over the faucet tube, and creating a siphon.

I am haunted by waters

#12 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 03 April 2023 - 02:16 PM

That is a good idea Steve. I also did buy the Vivair kit to blow out the tank/lines on the road. In shoulder season better safe than sorry. And Vic... just went out and pulled 5 screws from the back. 4 of them just spun... so looks like going up a size will be the norm!

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#13 bajaphile

bajaphile

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationNCSD CA

Posted 03 April 2023 - 02:47 PM

Anyone have a preferred brand of screw? I'm looking for the hex head #8 x 3/4 sheet metal screws which are galvanized online, but having a hard time. I know I'd find them at Home Depot, but curious if there was a better quality version. I thought I had bought some on McMaster, but am not seeing them anymore. 

2001 F350 V10 4x4 w/ 2003 FWC Hawk

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser 

#14 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 03 April 2023 - 04:24 PM

Many years ago I bought a bucket of white painted screws and would replace as needed, I live at the beach and it was a never ending battle. Despite claims of stainless screws causing a reaction, several of my friends have replaced theirs with stainless, many years ago with no issue, myself now included. Go stainless and never worry about that tedious job again.
I am also having a new ATC built at the moment and sent a large box for the guys to use on my build so I don’t have to deal with it again.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#15 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 03 April 2023 - 04:41 PM

I’m guessing galvanic corrosion needs a number of things for it to happen… zinc & aluminum, salt, and electric current. Many campers here do NOT have corrosion issues. Is that because most of our campers do not have a problem with a wiring fault that causes current to travel via the camper skin? It would be nice if there was an easy way to test for such a current.

#16 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 03 April 2023 - 08:40 PM

These seem to fit the bill: Correct me if I'm wrong but the OEM screw is a #8  3/4" and if it's spinning a #10 should be ample to grip?

https://www.mcmaster.com/90190A197/

For the price for 100 I might as well get #8 and #10 i suppose.

Actually I prefer the square drive so here is a link to that and also multiple sizes

https://www.mcmaster...or-sheet-metal/

Edited by buckland, 03 April 2023 - 10:12 PM.

Henry David Thoreau

#17 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 03 April 2023 - 09:55 PM

Quality seems to be an issue. I'd say 90% of my screws are fine while the other 10% show signs of corrosion. Did FWC mix some batches? I tend to think its a mfg issue. Unfortunately I don't live at the beach so I'll just have to accept that corrosion isn't much of an issue for me :)

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#18 bajaphile

bajaphile

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationNCSD CA

Posted 04 April 2023 - 02:33 PM

Many years ago I bought a bucket of white painted screws and would replace as needed, I live at the beach and it was a never ending battle. Despite claims of stainless screws causing a reaction, several of my friends have replaced theirs with stainless, many years ago with no issue, myself now included. Go stainless and never worry about that tedious job again.
I am also having a new ATC built at the moment and sent a large box for the guys to use on my build so I don’t have to deal with it again.

That is very interesting, I have experienced the same results. I bought my 2003 Hawk in 2019 and 50% of the screws rusted within the first few months. I live within a 1/4 mi from the ocean myself. I started to replace with SS 316 screws, knowing full well about the galvanic corrosion issue with non passivated/coated stainless and aluminum. I got worried after reading here about doing this, so I started replacing the screws with galvanized. In 2023 now, all the stainless do not show any issues and the galvanized are about 50/50 rusted. Now I am just talking about the heads... The few stainless screws I've pulled look good however... 

Also I'd say about 90% of my screws are hex flange heads. I have a hard time finding a quality galvanized version aside from cheap ones at Home Depot. Looks like the ones @buckland posted are panheads. Not sure if a previous owner swapped all mine out to hex, or? 

Edited by bajaphile, 04 April 2023 - 02:36 PM.

2001 F350 V10 4x4 w/ 2003 FWC Hawk

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser 

#19 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 April 2023 - 02:56 PM

My 2011 Eagle has both pan head (white) all around the perimeter and also hex heads galvanized in other areas. IF… the big IF… I could use SS I would prefer as rust is happening on 90 % of the galvanized. Mind you in New England everything near a road rusts. I heard tell in Oregon people don’t tan, they rust… ( In Ireland we stay in the pub which stops both problems.

Henry David Thoreau

#20 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 04 April 2023 - 03:16 PM

Also I'd say about 90% of my screws are hex flange heads. I have a hard time finding a quality galvanized version aside from cheap ones at Home Depot. Looks like the ones @buckland posted are panheads. Not sure if a previous owner swapped all mine out to hex, or? 

Hex should be standard, I have a 2003 Hawk as well.

I sourced my stainless hex screws from a local bolt company, not sure what the brand was.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users