Screw replacement

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 03:18 PM

In New York people dont drown in the Hudson....they burst into flames.

:)

#22 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 April 2023 - 06:40 PM

So if all my galvanized on the back wall have rusted (not the small hex head ones holding in the doorframe) then I suppose I don't have anything to lose by trying stainless. Huh.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#23 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 07:17 PM

You have a lot to loose by using stainless....galvanic corrosion between dis similar metals in the presence of an electrolyte....H2O....the aluminum looses this battle.

I really think your best bet is Galvanized steel screws with a baked on white finish of the same size as was first used at FWC.

Any failure of the paint finish I have seen is within the socket head of the screw and was the result of the metal drive tool being cranked too hard.....once can drive them with one of the old puny hand held drivers and then do the last 1/4 turn by hand driver.

Bed them in a good adhesive sealant and you will get some good life from the repair...

In the case of a VERY loose fit step up one size in screw....or partly drive in bedding compound and then do another quarter turn the next day.

I have seen a square driver set made of phenolic instead of metal but dont know where to buy it. 

The metal drivers leave residue of steel in the square drive sockets and this can then rust.

The screws are a major appearance factor for the camper...they deserve some care so they don't rust .

Did you go to Aqua Caliente in B. C. S. ?

DG 

#24 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 05 April 2023 - 12:15 AM

Nope. We were fairly close but a long road ahead so had to move on. Thanks for your thoughts on the screw replacement. All screws on back are rusted all the way through....not cosmetic caps. Salt. Wicked heeya in the Bahstin state. 

Henry David Thoreau

#25 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 05 April 2023 - 12:40 AM

You have a lot to loose by using stainless....galvanic corrosion between dis similar metals in the presence of an electrolyte....H2O....the aluminum looses this battle.

I really think your best bet is Galvanized steel screws with a baked on white finish of the same size as was first used at FWC.

Understand the logic and I can’t explain why it hasn’t been an issue, but I regularly see 3 campers that have been parked nearly ocean front for over 5 years, all screws have been completely replaced with stainless steel with zero hint of galvanic corrosion. Mine is going on two years. In that time I would have replaced the galvanized screws at least once if not more. Just sayin.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#26 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 01:41 AM

Its all good....Buckland, now you have an excellent reason to revisit B. C. S. sometime.

BTW did you go to the french bakery in the mining town.....?

Rusting in Oregon....only state where moss grows on anchor wire fencing....and Asphalt....and hard baked metal roofinf. ...and the north facing side of my Toyota.....

DG 

Edited by DavidGraves, 05 April 2023 - 01:42 AM.

#27 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 05 April 2023 - 11:00 AM

That we did. We got some donuts from the famous bakery and just down the road got a goat Taco to go!

Henry David Thoreau

#28 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 05 April 2023 - 02:17 PM

^^^
Santa Rosalia. Just drove through there last week.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#29 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 08 April 2023 - 06:47 AM

It is true that dissimilar metals in the presence of a corrosive electrolyte (such as water or worse salt water) will lead to galvanic corrosion.   However, if the metals do not actually make contact with each other, particularly if they are separated by a non-dielectric barrier (such as many adhesives and gasket materials, then the corrosion will be significantly minimized or even eliminated.

For our campers with Aluminum framing and skin having steel (even galvanized or stainless fasteners) putting a coating of sealant or adhesive or even paint on the threads of a steel screw before it is installed and between the head of the screw and and the Aluminum skin will help minimize corrosion risk.  It is likely that applying the coating only under the screw head (or even a rubber or butyl washer under the screw head) would be sufficient since the likelihood of water getting past the seal and into the threads would be significantly reduced.

https://www.marshfas...-used-together/

An FYI relative to stainless steel. 

If one is concerned about the fastener corroding then stainless steel is worth considering.  However, stainless is still more cathodic than Galvanized steel and Aluminum (which is more anodic) and galvanic corrosion of the Aluminum is still likely in the presence of a corroding electrolyte if a protective coating is not used.

• Anode – material that is positively charged, electrons leave this material
  • Cathode – material that is negatively charged, electrons enter this material
  • Electrolyte – liquid that aids in the process of electron transfer
  • Corrosion/corrode – Destroy or weaken metal gradually

"How It Works

Galvanic corrosion occurs when two materials (an anode and a cathode) come into contact with each other and an electrolyte. Electrolytes can be environmental factors such as humidity or rainwater. When these factors come into play, electron transfer will begin to occur. Depending on the level of resistance in an electrolyte, this transfer can happen much faster. This is why salt water, an electrolyte with a very low resistance, is a common factor when considering what product to use. Due to this, it is incredibly important to consider what material you are going to use in an environment.  When working with a marine, salt water environment, you even need to consider the type of stainless steel you are using.

When aluminum and stainless steel are used in an assembly together, the electrons from the Aluminum will begin to transfer into the stainless steel. This results in the aluminum weakening. This weakened aluminum causes it to deteriorate at a much faster rate. This can lead to an extended life of the stainless steel. Note: Aluminum, if left on its own with the electrolyte, will still lose its electrons eventually, but having stainless steel present will significantly speed up this process."

Reference:

https://www.albanyco...f aluminum and,)%20to%20another%20(cathode).

There are at least 5 types of stainless and only one type has high corrosion resistance (austenitic).   

Austenitic stainless steels generally provide the most corrosion resistance because of their high amounts of chromium. 304 and 316 are commonly used but 316 stainless has the best corrosion resistance, which is why it is widely used on boats in the marine environment.  It is also the most expensive stainless.

Other stainless steels can and do corrode.

If the manufacturer does not say is it 304 or 316 then it probably is not corrosion resistant.  But when used with Aluminum in the presence of an electrolyte it may still lead to corrosion of the Aluminum.

https://www.kloeckne...ure resistance.

Bottom line;

For our campers unless the screws themselves are corroding (in which case using 304 or 316 stainless fasteners would help) the best approach to mitigating galvanic corrosion of the Aluminum (and even mitigating steel corrosion) is to use painted galvanized steel screws or insulating washers or sealant under the screw heads (or maybe a combination of these).  Galvanized screws and stainless steel screws will not prevent galvanic corrosion of the Aluminum but the galvanized screws should only be a minimal risk.

I hope this is helpful.

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 15 April 2023 - 11:27 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#30 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 08 April 2023 - 10:58 AM

I thought that being an old math/science teacher I'd do an experiment. I bought both the 316 SS and the Zinc coated. I am going to use the galvanized ones for the most part but will put in a small amount of SS 316 to see how they do. My screws in the camper now, when I back them out (on the rear wall) are all rusted tip to head. So I'll check them eraqch year going forward and see if either group craps out first!

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot 2023-04-08 at 6.53.43 AM.png

Henry David Thoreau

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users