• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 02 May 2023 - 01:36 AM

I have finally found a solution for my trash can. Sometimes we are several days away from a place to dump our recycling and trash. We do not generate that much, but what trash we have will get stinky if kept in the cab or camper. I got a gamma lid for my 6 gallon bucket and that has helped. I now found a mount, and with slight modification, I can keep the trash outside if need be. This will be great for our wag bags as well. It also is nice to have the camp trashcan secured and at a higher point when camping. Last weekend at Lawson's Landing our bucket took flight with the high winds while sitting on the ground. Now it should be secure in the holder. When not in use, there is a quick release to detach the bracket.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2672.jpg
  • IMG_2673.jpg
  • IMG_2674.jpg

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 02 May 2023 - 04:28 AM

where did you find that little gem?

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 02 May 2023 - 01:15 PM

That looks pretty neat, and I have a bucket with gamma lid that is looking for a job.  Following.

I am haunted by waters

#4 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 02 May 2023 - 02:19 PM

where did you find that little gem?

https://nevgear.com/...=42479624683669

It was made to mount to the back of a golf cart. I just took the quick release bracket off of the metal bars and mounted it to the bumper with 1/4" rivets. I will update as to how it holds up.

#5 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 16 May 2023 - 06:46 PM

Usage update:

My new trash set up had her christening on Mother's Day! We spent the weekend at a bluegrass festival and the can was filled with wag bags and left over carnage from our fish fry. I did not want the can inside even for a second. Sure was nice to drive out of camp with the rubbish secured outside off the rear bumper. 

#6 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 16 May 2023 - 07:35 PM

Looks great.  Be sure not to use it while camping in Bear country (except perhaps during transport to a disposal site).  It will serve as a Bear magnet.  Bears have an incredible sense off smell and will investigate anything that smells remotely like food.

(A company I am a partner in makes Bear resistant containers for backpackers and other campers for which we have done considerable testing with live Grizzly and Black Bears).  ;-)

Edited by ckent323, 16 May 2023 - 10:36 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#7 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 16 May 2023 - 07:57 PM

Looks great.  Be sure not to use it while camping in Bear country (except perhaps during transport to a disposal site).  It will be serve as a Bear magnet.

(A company I am a partner in makes Bear resistant containers for backpackers and other campers for which we have done considerable testing with live Grizzly and Black Bears).  ;-)

Thanks for the great advice Craig. The bucket has a Gamma lid with a gasket that keeps the smell down. Actually my wife and the other friends we were with said they could not smell a thing. I have been blessed with a super sniffer! So much so that when I go hiking I can smell the different varieties of mushrooms growing around me. Kinda of a blessing and a curse but makes for abundant foraging. None the less, I smell EVERYTHING. I can even eat something and tell you every spice ingredient of its composition. My wife jokes that she wants to pimp me out as a truffle pig!

I'm curious, do the bear resistant canisters keep the bear form smelling it's contents or just make it so they are unable to get in to the canister?

All of the bear cans I have looked at are too small to hold multiple days of rubbish. I will be in Yellowstone this summer and plan to hang the bucket by its handle between trees and away for camp.

#8 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 16 May 2023 - 09:52 PM

Cpt Davenport,

Bears have an incredible sense of smell. With all due respect your sense of smell is not even close.  It is estimated that Black Bears' sense of smell is about seven times greater than a bloodhound's!

Ref:   

https://www.nps.gov/... famous,that it's%20difficult%20to%20measure.

They also learn to associate human odors with food.

The answer to your question based on testing is, No, Bear canisters and food bags do not prevent Bears from smelling the food odors because they are almost always present on the outside surfaces of the containers. Further, even a small amount of molecules of odor escaping a container, as the air in it expands and contracts during heating and cooling during the day and night, can be detected by a Bear. So while we use tight seals on the lids of our canisters that is mainly to keep water,  dirt and tiny bugs out.

Also don't hang food or trash, except perhaps on approved Bear poles in parks and campgrounds that still have them. It too often doesn't work and for that reason a number of places have removed them and installed metal food storage lockers.

Bottom line: Black Bears in particular are nimbler than cats, very intelligent, can see in color and learn easily. Grizzlies are more brutish than nimble and smart. That is why hanging food from bags in trees rarely works in places where it has been done for decades because the Black Bears have learned they can climb out on the limbs or send Cubs out to bend the branch down or break off the limb to get the food. They have even learned to defeat commercial Bear poles by Cubs climbing up and standing on the shoulders of a standing Mama Bear.

That intelligence and love of food is why once they break into a vehicle and successfully get a food reward often times the very next vehicle, they will try will be a car that looks identical in style and color.

That intelligence is also is why there is documented evidence of Bears working together to defeat latches on large trash bins; One Bear trips the latch while another opens the lid. Incredible and true.

In popular places (Yosemite, Sequoia and Yellowstone come to mind quickly) if a Black Bear sees something that looks like food in your car (from past success at getting food in colored wrappers, say on a camp table or trash can) it is probable and peraps likely that they will try to break in. They are very strong and it is usually easy for them to pop a locked car door open or bust out a window. They often leave a poop thank you when they leave, after tearing up the seats looking for the food scraps they smell under them.

The Park Service, Forest Service, BLM as well as California Forest and Park rangers say “a fed Bear is a dead Bear”. Once a Bear is successful at getting human food they will very quickly become repeat offenders and thereby become dangerous to humans. That in turn too often leads to them ultimately being euthanized.

Please seek input from Rangers wherever you camp and dutifully employ their advice on how you can avoid inadvertently feeding Bears and thereby helping create a problem Bear. It is important to do this every time because the situation is constantly evolving. Places where Bears were not historically a problem are now having Bear problems due to the massive increase in visitation and sloppy camper food and waste storage habits.

Factually, this is a people problem not a Bear problem.  The Bears are just doing what they have evolved to do   The problem is people feeding them intentionally or unintentionally though ignorance or carelessness.

Here are National Park Service, Dept of Agriculture and Calif Parks & Recreation links to proper food storage when camping:

https://www.nps.gov/...storingfood.htm

https://www.fs.usda....prdb5191168.pdf

https://www.parks.ca...NewsRelease/806

I hope this information is helpful,

P.S. I have been in the Bear resistant food storage business, working with Park and Forest Service Bear experts, for over 20 years as well as an avid camper and backpacker for nearly 60 years (since before i was a teenager). I have personally tested containers many times with both Grizzly and Black Bears and I have encountered Black Bears while both camping and backpacking several times. No Bear has ever gotten any of my food or trash (except during supervised testing).

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 16 May 2023 - 10:39 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#9 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 17 May 2023 - 12:35 AM

Craig I remember Al DeForest coming by my lab to discuss testing procedures for your container. Unfortunately I didn't have any equipment simulate a  Grizzly bears strength or cunning. He did say to get certification you would have to go to the Fresno zoo and put a loaded container in the bear area after the bears had not been fed in a while.

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#10 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 17 May 2023 - 01:36 AM

Thank you for the helpful information Craig.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users