39 replies to this topic

#11 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 19 May 2023 - 06:27 AM

Hi Dick,

Yes, we tested with Fisher Bear at the Folsom Zoo as well as other Black Bears and a couple of Grizzly Bears.  We built a structural CAD model and also built a mechanical testing device but once our prototypes were passing live Bear testing we went into production.  We have never had a failure.  Almost every other Bear resistant canister manufacturer has had one or more failures. 

Al still runs the day to day operations.  Also considering that we are both getting long in the tooth and after more than 20 years we have talked and we think time is coming to start looking for new owners to carry the product and brand forward.

Best to you

Craig

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#12 BlueSky

BlueSky

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 May 2023 - 12:25 AM

Cool idea to keep the trash outside during the day at camp.  I simply empty the trash into the big metal bin at the campground in the evening to keep the bears from bothering me. 

#13 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 21 August 2023 - 02:41 PM

Field Test Update:

This system has earned a permanent spot on my rig now. It has served me well for about 70 days camping so far. I was bringing the can in as we drove, but it now just lives hanging on the bumper full time. I learned that if I flip the bucket handle over, it locks securely behind the bolts on the mount. Drove with it full of trash from CA to Montana with several off road adventures along the way. The only time I remove it was to empty or when we were in bear country. Works great for keeping smelly trash, recycling and WAG Bags concealed and out of the camper. The rivets I have attached it with are still rock solid. 

The 6 gallon size is just right in most situations. I have thought of adding a second can to the other side so to have one for trash and one for recycling. We don't generate much trash and if we smash our cans and burp all the air from the WAG bags, we can go several days before finding a suitable place for disposal.  

#14 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 21 August 2023 - 05:27 PM

Looks great.  Be sure not to use it while camping in Bear country (except perhaps during transport to a disposal site).  It will serve as a Bear magnet.  Bears have an incredible sense off smell and will investigate anything that smells remotely like food.

(A company I am a partner in makes Bear resistant containers for backpackers and other campers for which we have done considerable testing with live Grizzly and Black Bears).  ;-)

Wild Ideas by any chance? 

#15 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 21 August 2023 - 05:51 PM

Yes. 

I carefully worded my previous comments to try and avoid using this site to promote my company and product (even though I believe it to be the best on the market).

;-)

#16 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 21 August 2023 - 10:12 PM

Yes. 

I carefully worded my previous comments to try and avoid using this site to promote my company and product (even though I believe it to be the best on the market).

;-)

Sorry for blowing your cover. But they are the best on the market. 

#17 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 21 August 2023 - 10:49 PM

Yes. 

;-)

Are you suggesting that you store your trash, recycling and if you use them, WAG bags in the bear canister?

#18 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 22 August 2023 - 01:31 AM

Cpt Davenport,

No, mainly for hygienic reasons so you do not contaminate the food you eat.   

If you remove all food from the canister and put it in say a bag which is in turn put in a food locker and you put a liner bag in a Bear canister then it may be OK (up to you to decide) to put trash in the Bear canister.  However, I do not recommend using a Bear canister for trash or any other waste.

However, if there are no trash cans or other means of disposing your trash out of sight then putting it in a plastic bag and putting that in your bear canister may be the best thing to do.

In all cases Bear canisters can be and should be cleaned with soap and water between trips.  I further recommend not leaving any food items stored in a Bear canister for long periods of time. Be sure to remove contents and clean it before putting it away after a trip.

To be as explicitly clear as I can be, what I said was; 

In Bear country hanging trash outside is a Bear magnet.  Bears have an incredible sense of smell and will investigate anything that smells remotely like food.

I need to add that smell is not the only thing they rely on. If they even see something that they have previously found to be edible, they will seek it out: such as a candy wrapper, cans of food and other things like toothpaste or cough drops in your vehicle that are visible though the windows.  Lots of cars have been broken into and torn apart because of candy wrappers, chewing gum packs, Altoids, and etc.

The parenthetical comment (A company I am a partner in makes Bear resistant containers for backpackers and other campers for which we have done considerable testing with live Grizzly and Black Bears).  Was intended to indicate I have a reasonably good idea about what I am talking about relative to Bears and in particular keeping food and trash away from them.

I hope this clarifies things.  ;-)

I wish you enjoyable and safe, Bear trouble free, camping.  

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 22 August 2023 - 09:28 AM.

#19 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 22 August 2023 - 03:02 AM

Got it Craig, thank you. Just wondering because I'm only talking about trash. I would not rely on this to be bear proof by any measure. I just like the fact that WE can't smell the contents when it's closed. Very aware that bears can smell everything. When we camp with bear boxes, that is where it goes. When no boxes are available (most of the time they are not for us), the can goes in the cab with the other food in sealed containers. 

Again, just referring to trash here. Can you please share your recommendation for storing trash in bear country. Interested in others experiences and solutions, in and out of bear zones. For trash.

Edited by Cpt Davenport, 22 August 2023 - 03:03 AM.

#20 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 22 August 2023 - 03:12 AM

we just did a 4 day canoe trip in a remote part of northern BC (Murtle Lake) and our trash (minimal) was double bagged in plastic and also went into the food boxes provided.  If that's not possible, we hang it with our food.  I may not want to eat trash, but a bear will and will become acclimated to human food ... and that's a death sentence for the bear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users